Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! For those of you who use play pens for when you have to leave your puppy at home, how does this work? Bella has always had the run of the house (she just isn't interested in anything but food and sleep, and we're puppy proofed). However, my brother is getting a puppy and we don't know how curious she will be about his apartment, so he is thinking about buying a play pen for while he's at school. My question is, do they have enough room for food and water bowls? He is at school for awhile. Also, he is going to be training her to use pee pads instead of going outside, is there room for that too? I know most dogs won't sleep or eat near where they use the bathroom, so what do we do? I have no experience with crating or playpens, so I'm baffled

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Ok, first questions. What kind of puppy? How long will the puppy be by itself?

If he has room I would recommend getting an exercise pen (5ft. octagon or 4ft square). There is plenty of room for a crate, food, water and pee pad. I already have one for Lexi and don't have room for a second one so for my second puppy I got a baby play pen. Lexi's exercise pen is the 24" high one.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 24 2005, 09:19 AM
Ok, first questions.  What kind of puppy?  How long will the puppy be by itself?

If he has room I would recommend getting an exercise pen (5ft. octagon or 4ft square).  There is plenty of room for a crate, food, water and pee pad.  I already have one for Lexi and don't have room for a second one so for my second puppy I got a baby play pen.  Lexi's exercise pen is the 24" high one.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64725
[/QUOTE]

She is a Yorkie (Dustin didn't want to "copy" me, even though I said it would be cute). He will be bringing her home in a few weeks. She will be by herself while he is at school, from 1-6 pm. How much do exercise pens cost? Can I buy one at Petco? Thanks for the help. Dustin is feeling really guilty for having to leave her while he goes to school, but he is living a few states away from me, and everyone he knows and trust where he lives is also stuck at school.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy+May 24 2005, 10:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@May 24 2005, 09:19 AM
Ok, first questions.  What kind of puppy?  How long will the puppy be by itself?

If he has room I would recommend getting an exercise pen (5ft. octagon or 4ft square).  There is plenty of room for a crate, food, water and pee pad.  I already have one for Lexi and don't have room for a second one so for my second puppy I got a baby play pen.  Lexi's exercise pen is the 24" high one.
She is a Yorkie (Dustin didn't want to "copy" me, even though I said it would be cute). He will be bringing her home in a few weeks. She will be by herself while he is at school, from 1-6 pm. How much do exercise pens cost? Can I buy one at Petco? Thanks for the help. Dustin is feeling really guilty for having to leave her while he goes to school, but he is living a few states away from me, and everyone he knows and trust where he lives is also stuck at school.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64751
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes you can get them at PetCo. I like the kind with the doors (not sure if PetCo's have doors). That way when you are home the puppy can go in and out buy itself. The 24" high one will be fine. Here is my setup:

I got mine at PetSmart for $59.99. You might be able to find it cheaper on the internet. Also PetSmart sometimes has free shipping coupons.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks! Thats exactly what im looking for.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I have the one from Petco. I think it's the smallest one and it was about $70 bucks
...I was in a rush to get it when Peanut was a puppy because he started to scratch at the walls in the totally puppyproofed room we had for him.

If you do decide to go with Petco's, the smallest one doesn't come with the little clips to keep the ends together and my guys have learned how to push the ends apart. They sell them separate, but you could just tie the ends together if the puppy isn't too interested in string
There is no door either which is kind of a pain. I just think the door would be so much more convienent if the ex-pen is going to be set up in the same place all the time, because then when your bro is home, he can just leave the door open and the pup can have access to the pen if he wants.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
PetSmart's come with the clips already attached to the pen.

I use indoor/outdoor carpeting under the pen. I've been thinking about getting the splash board/ tile board that someone (sorry can't remember who) has on her. Lexi has managed to dig a hole through the indoor/outdoor carpeting. THank god she didn't damage my carpeting.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have one for Bella (a baby one) and it works great. When she was smaller I used to leave her there pretty much all day and she did fine. Her bed, bowls and puppy pads are there. Now I only use it at night for her to sleep there and not wonder around the house or scratching my door to get in and play at 2 am.

It is great and I love it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 24 2005, 12:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@May 24 2005, 11:45 AM
Man, from everything I read, Petsmart is better than Petco.  I wish there was a Petsmart closer to me

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64790
Yeah everything seems to be cheaper at PetSmart. The pens and crates are about $10 cheaper at PetSmart.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64792
[/B][/QUOTE]
Anyone wanna dish in some $$ to franchise a Boston Petsmart with me
Argh!!! I guess I'm gonna have to start making those 45 minute rides to Petsmart
What won't I do for my guys?!?!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I got a pen from the Ferret Store that is about 4 ft. around. It has a mat that velcroes to the sides and we keep our pup's cabana and food dishes in there when she's in the pen. She goes outside to potty, but there would be enough room to have a pad. It really wasn't very expensive and the mat was included in the package.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@May 24 2005, 12:09 PM
I got a pen from the Ferret Store that is about 4 ft. around.  It has a mat that velcroes to the sides and we keep our pup's cabana and food dishes in there when she's in the pen.  She goes outside to potty, but there would be enough room to have a pad.  It really wasn't very expensive and the mat was included in the package.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64815
[/QUOTE]
I would probably have gotten that if there was a door. I love having the door in the pen. That way Lexi can freely go in and out when I'm at home.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I got this pen from petsmart...

I put everything in the pen...
water
food
puppy pad
crate
bed
toys
big pillow

and hes fine all day while i'm at work.

I was looking at making the pen that Kallie/Catcher's Mom has Pen

I also had a play pen for Kodie when I used to take him to work with me. I only did that the first 6 months I had him because he was only about 1lb and couldnt be left alone. I would put a puppy pad at one end and a blanket for him to lay on at the other. I also put water in there but that became messy when he jumped around. When he was REAL young the play pen worked out great but now that kodie is 2 yrs old... I dont think thats a good idea.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 24 2005, 01:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@May 24 2005, 12:09 PM
I got a pen from the Ferret Store that is about 4 ft. around.  It has a mat that velcroes to the sides and we keep our pup's cabana and food dishes in there when she's in the pen.  She goes outside to potty, but there would be enough room to have a pad.  It really wasn't very expensive and the mat was included in the package.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64815
I would probably have gotten that if there was a door. I love having the door in the pen. That way Lexi can freely go in and out when I'm at home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64836
[/B][/QUOTE]
I just un-latch the connecting side and swing that part "open" so that our pup can go in and out freely during the day. It really is no big deal...you just have to position the velcro tabs correctly so that they are not on the "door".

·
Registered
54 Posts
i used to have a big pen for my rabbit. it was a really tall pen too, but i sold it to someone after i found out my rabbit could jump really high. i should've kept it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hubby got x-pen like Lexi's mom has from Ebay. He paid 24.95 and 10.00 shipping. We got it yesterday and it has a dog and fold flat.

I am wondering what to put under it to protect the carpet.

Golly we don't even have the puppy yet but I am getting ready.

Also have a dog crate coming we got on Ebay for around 20.00 total. Hubby called and found the company is an Ebay only site and all products are new in the boxes.

Connie (soon to be mama)

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@May 26 2005, 02:45 AM
Hubby got x-pen like Lexi's mom has from Ebay.  He paid 24.95 and 10.00 shipping.  We got it yesterday and it has a dog and fold flat.

I am wondering what to put under it to protect the carpet.

Golly we don't even have the puppy yet but I am getting ready.

Also have a dog crate coming we got on Ebay for around 20.00 total.  Hubby called and found the company is an Ebay only site and all products are new in the boxes.

Connie (soon to be mama) 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65376
[/QUOTE]
I would recommend getting the tile/splash (whatever it is called
) board that KC's Mom has. That would be the easiest to clean up with a new puppy. The indoor/outdoor carpet works for older dogs but it is hard to see where they have had accidents.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I just went to Lowe's and purchased a throw rug and it fits perfectly under the crate and protects my hard wood floors as it's soft and reversible on both sides. Fits great and I can pick it up, shake it out, and wash if I need to.

Sorry, just read to protect CARPET!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts