Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
Well, my little Maggie loves to play and has buckets of toys but now she is getting bored and I am trying to find new and inventive games to play with her. Any suggestions of goofy games that you play with your pooch that they find to be fun and amusing?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i have one of those plastic kiddie pools...and i've been meaning to do this...but you can fill the whole thing up with toys and then hide little pieces of treats throughout it. and then that would keep her busy for a while.

with the dogs...we play hide and seek. we go to the kitchen, tell them to sit stay, then we go to the bedroom or bathroom--in the bedroom we hide under sheets. and then we say "sprite ellie gruffi!!!!" and then all of them will come running looking. its really fun.

we also get toys, and make sure they're watching..and get a blanket you're fine with ripping (i dont think a malt will rip...but gruffi really ripped our comfortors) and we hide the toy in the blanket and we say "where is it". and try a loud squeaky toy that they hear when they claw at the blanket.

we also walk really really slow towards them...and they'll either want to run away and play chase---or they go on their back for kisses.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
When Sir N is being fussy about eating or just seems bored, I'll sometimes throw a piece of kibble across the floor for him to chase and eat. He also gets exercise this way! :D He LOVES doing this and gets very excited. I generally don't do it unless I'm planning to mop the floor anywhere because it can get messy. For both dogs, their favorite activity in the world is to just take a walk. They get tired of staring at the walls of our home and like to see something new (who wouldn't?). Sometimes we'll walk until we find a good place to sit and then we just people watch for awhile. It's like 3-D TV for them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll throw Mimi a little hacky sack ball. She chases it throughout the house wherever I through it and brings it back. Also I will get on my knees and chase her throughout the house. She likes that alot. :lol:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tyler and I like to play tag in the backyard. It's hard to catch up with him! When I run the other direction he still runs away!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have those hollow plastic Easter eggs that open (for candy). I put a dog crunchy (her dry food) inside and throw. She loves to hunt down, 'kill', and eat her prey!!!!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by maltagurl@Apr 10 2005, 11:56 AM
I'll throw Mimi a little hacky sack ball.  She chases it throughout the house wherever I through it and brings it back.  Also I will get on my knees and chase her throughout the house.  She likes that alot. :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51096
[/QUOTE]

Phoebes favorite toy is a hackey sack that my brother's dog left at our house. She loves that thing!

Have you tried the food toys? Phoebe will work on this one toy all day long. Its like a tube with slits down the side and I slide pieces of her food in there.

·
Registered
831 Posts
This is a great topic. Daezie gets bored really fast....

even if we go for walks (about 30min) when we get back she goes to find her ball and wants to play. poor Daezie follows me around the house with her ball in her mouth
she is really active! and doesnt undestand that mommy has to do thing around the house.

now i have new games to try with her! :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse gets bored with ALL her toys at one time, so we take 1/2 of them away for a week or so and switch them out. The little lady learned where the "other box" of toys is kept, in the living room (where she's not allowed to go). I had the door open in there one day and she came flying in, grabbed what she could and ran out like the devil was after her!! She ran in her Casita, turned her back to the door and started chewing on the "new" toys. This has actually become her favorite game!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I don't have any new tips, just things I learned on these boards. Like putting some kibble or treats in a 20 ounce bottle and letting them chew on the bottle and get the treats out.

Also, on www.dogwise.com I found basically a squeaky on a stick. I can sit in my chair and swing the squeaky, make it dance, run it on the ground for him to chase. I'm sure it's something you could even rig yourself.

I bought Tristan a cat toy, the kind with a ball inside a circle and they're supposed to paw at it. That keeps him busy for hours trying to get that ball out. another cat toy that he enjoys is the crinkle bag-- basically looks like a paper bag but has a crinkly noisy matierial inside that he likes to roll around.

A wiffle ball is lots of fun for him since it's light and we have hardwood floors he can really make quite a game for himself.

He loves hide and go seek.

I bought some of those peanut butter flavored bubbles at Petsmart. I don't think they smellt that strong so maybe regular bubbles would be fine but he loves to chase those outside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts