1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just found this site and I need some advice. I am 54 years old and my
husband travels a lot and I am alone. I have two cats that are neutered
and one is very old. They are my husbands. I am a dog lover. I have always wanted a maltese and I am ready to make the decision but I have
a couple questions. First should I choose a male or female? Second I work seven hours a day 10:00 to 5:00. Does that mean that I should
not have a dog or is that ok? Also when you work Like that how do you
handle training a puppy and will my maltese get enough affection? I get up at seven every morning and do not leave for work until 9:30. So I would have time in the morning and all evening. But I do not want to get
a maltese if everyone feels that I can not spend the appropriate amount of time with my dog. Do they require a lot of time? Please help me with some answers.
Thanks
Jan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jan... we just brought Shadow home about 7 weeks ago... (though I grew up with maltese dogs all my life). Here's our scenario... we both work full time and are gone about 10 hours a day. While we're gone, Shadow has a roomy pen area in the bathroom where she has toys, a feeding water bottle, a 1/4 c. of dry food, a cage (w/ no door), a play area and a wee pad area. At night, she is in a larger cage (w/ closed door) on our bedroom floor that has a wee pad as well as a comfy spot for her to lay on - plus a few toys. While we hate leaving her alone so much
- she seems to be very well adjusted... When I questioned other boards about whether we should get a dog if we're not home all day...most of the advice I received was that... "as cute and human-like as they are - - they are still dogs and do not require constant companionship" (though most would definately enjoy it!).

Moving on... most of the time Shadow doesn't even whine anymore when we leave for the day and she doesn't make a peep after we put her in the nighttime cage (but getting to that point is a whole 'nother story!). In fact, she doesn't even mind to go in her pen for a while when we need to take care of things around the house and can't watch her. I think she now considers both 'pens' a safe place...she knows one of us will always come back to get her. She also sleeps through the night and does not wake up until around 6 (when I get up).

I've heard/read that male dogs are harder to housebreak - but I'm guessing there are pros/cons to both genders. Shadow is probably about 85-90% paper trained - but it's still a work in progress!

And... yes, they do require a lot of time. But who wouldn't want to spend as much free time as they could afford with their little furry friend!?!? Training is ongoing...but it will happen. I don't know if this is considered good or not - but Shadow has already learned to sit and give paw on command. We're still working on the 'come' and 'stay' commands - but I have faith!

One thing I can say for sure...is you absolutely must socialize your pup (and believe me, she will eat up all the attention!).
Bring her to the vet for her treatments - but then bring her there for a treat as well. Take her in the car with you (early on - before it's too late and she's scared of the car). Bring her to the park, the pet store, the neighbors, etc. Let her interact with other dogs. Let people talk to her, pet her, hold her, etc. Let her hear different sounds early on (vacuum, hair dryer, fire engine, garbage truck, elec. clippers, etc.) And... if you're going to have her groomed outside the home - bring her to a groomer early on... even if the first few times are to meet and play.

I think the maltese breed is one of the most loving and affectionate breeds out there (though I'm sure other breed owners are loyal to their kind as well!)

Anyway... just my two cents. By browsing this board you'll see that I'm still learning about all this stuff (I've got a lot of posts out there!). But... the people are very nice and helpful out here and I'm sure you'll make the right decision... I hope some of this helped you and I wish you all the best in your decision making! They're definately worth all the research, training and effort - but you need to be okay with it first.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes, you can have a dog and work full time but if you also do a lot of errands and after work activities I wouldn't do it. It wouldn't be fair to the dog if you spend lots of time away from the house. But if you can devote some time every evening to the dog it should be fine. They really are great little companions and love spending time with you. I have a 2 year old maltese and a 5 month old yorkie and I work full time, I miss them every minute I'm away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:eek: Oooooohhhh I hate this kind of question!! My first malty was quickly followed by a second for companionship. There's nothing worse than a lonely, depressed looking Maltese. Sometimes i feel that a zoo would be a better environment than an empty house!! They would at least interact with more humans. Maltese are such a lovely pet to have, and they deserve all the attention you can give them. My little boy spent 24 hrs away from home this past weekend, being fixed, so that my little girl wouldn't have to bear the pain and stress of having puppies. (She is too small for that). I missed him terribly. The jumping on the bed at night, the wet nose pushing his way to my dinner on my tray!! I was never so happy to see him as when he came home. But he's back to 'normal'!! trash can patrol, crumb snatching, and generally lighting up our lives!! Little No-No is exactly the same, wherever he goes, she's right behind him!! I don't buy the 'quality time' scenario for 2 hours a day!! versus the 24hr 'here i am'!! All this is personal opinion, you would have to make the decision for yourself. AND THEN THERE'S THE GROOMING, AND NIGHTLY BRUSHING OUT MATS!! LOL Good luck !!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have to agree, this is a personal decision for all of us.
This can depend on the pup as they are all so different.

I personally couldn't leave my pup alone all day, I think that malts are companion dogs and they need to be around others. My office is in my home, so Tiki is alone very little. When I have to leave him I feel bad, he is so excited when I return. I do take him with me whenever I can, but you really can't take these guys into grocery stores or places that serve food.

On the other hand, I would have to agree that a companion for your pup is a good idea and it is a lonely life if you have no one to come home to at night. Maybe get two or three pups; but you will either need the time for grooming or the money to have someone do it for you --- it is a big job even for one little dog.

Another option of course is to take your tiny little malt with you everywhere! I know people who do it, who take their dog to work with them. These guys/gals are small and very adaptable and sure will give you the love and attention you crave!

Bringing a pup into the territory of the cats is another issue. It can take lots of attention, to all of the animals, to make sure this goes smoothly. Malt pups are very small and delicate and if your cats are the size of mine and in any way aggressive (mine is not) you will have to keep a close eye on them.

Good luck with your decision curious Jan!
It is a difficult one to make.

Judi

G

·
0 Posts
I don't work so I'm home most of the time. When I do leave I also miss my puppy. When we are not home we leave her in the bathroom with her food, water, toys, bed & pee pee pads. That keeps her out of trouble and only gives me one room to clean up (if she has an accident). One thing that I learned early on was to make sure that she is comfortable in the area in which you plan on having her when you're gone. If you want to keep her in the bathroom then make sure that she doesn't mind being in there- make it a haven for her. I also have her sleep in a small crate so that when we do have to take her to the vet or are forced to have her in there- she doesn't mind it.

I'm guessing that my puppy was easy to train. The potty training was the most difficult thing to do but she learned. We've had her since April and she is about 95% potty trained (she still has her accidents) and knows all the commands that I give her. She knows all the following commands:
"come", "sit", "stay", "no", "stop", "go drink water", "go pee pee", "go to bed", "shake", "off", "sleep", "upstairs", "find daddy", find mommy", and "up" (which makes her stand up on her hind legs). However, I have seen that not all dogs know as many commands. It all depends on how much time you're willing to spend actually teaching her commands. My puppy is always praised for having good manners. She does tend to want to jump on people but I usually fix that by having her sit or sending her to bed. She also does not take food from anyone. I've left my plate right next to her & she may look at it but does not touch it.

One thing I have to say is that I am definately glad we decided to get her. She is wonderful & a great companion. I would hate to come home & not find her here.

About male or female- I think it depends on your preference. All dogs have a different personality so what I'm about to say may not apply to every male/female & not everyone may see all of it as negative. I've heard that male dogs try to be boss more so than female dogs. They try to be the dominate one in the house which I do not want to deal with. They also hump people which I would hate to have in my home. Not only that- but they try to mark their territory by peeing on furniture... which is more destructive than a female peeing because the male dogs usually pee with their legs up. I'm more than happy with my female. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
I work part time, (a flat 20 hours a week), and when I am at work, Morgan has his "big brother" Buddy to keep him company, our other dog. So for me, it isn't bad as far as leaving him alone because he needs the companionship, the exception being that is KILLS ME to be away from him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have two Maltese. The first we got on New Year's Day this past year. She was only 7 weeks at the time and so so little. I was working full time for about five months but she did fine during that time. Since I have been home with her. I do plan in the future on working outside the home again.

I would recommend an older puppy of about 12 weeks. Most breeders won't let a puppy go until then. I could see a real difference in her in those weeks emotionally. A 7 week old Maltese pup just is not ready to leave mama yet. By 12 weeks they are ready to embark on the world.

Last weekend we got another Maltese puppy. Our first is fully trained now. It took a while and we still have a poop once in a while, but she really is maturing right now and doing so well. I have to say these are dogs that need people. That is what they were bred for. They are companion dogs and need to be either near you, or on you. They like to sit on you lap and can make nice scarves for you when you are watching TV. That is what they do. They want nothing more than to love you,and touch you.

The new puppy is 13 weeks now and a little larger than my female is now. I've had a male dog before and if you neuter them early enough it is common for them to never lift their leg when going potty. Mine never did and I never had other male problems. I too won't be breeding as my female is just too little and I won't do that to her. I don't know if she can have the surgery as her liver counts aren't good, but he will have it and before he lifts his leg.

He too is sweet. I think the females are a little cleaner as they aren't dripping when you bring them in and pick them up. You hold them a lot so that is something to consider. They both are loving. She loves me a lot and right now we are just getting to know this little guy. So far all he wants to to do whatever my female is doing. If she wants to sit on me, so does he. If she is playing with a toy, he wants it. He has even tried taking over her bed, but we won't have that!! He will get his own, and I even got him his own toys. They seem to know...go figure!!!

Oh.. they are very high maintenace in the grooming department. They usually need a bath once a week and a good brushing out at least every other day. Everyday or more is better as when they are little they mat very easy. My older one still doesn't have the adult coat and she mats rather easy. I spent 4 hours getting knots out one day a couple of weeks ago. You can have a puppy cut and that will help if that is what you choose. Right now we are working on long. I don't think she has the coat for that, but I think he will judging his parents coats. He is very thick and so far not bad to brush out.

Best of luck!!!
Joanne, Jasmine, and Chester

·
Registered
994 Posts
I Think getting a Maltese even though you work will be fine
my baby is also left alone during the week although a have my friend coming over sometimes to visit with her poodle so that they can play i am also interviewing dog walkers next week so that i can have someone come in a few days a week, on the weekday nights and all weekend maxi is with me 24/7 , he is doing good with the house training
i mean he has his share of accidents but alot of times i feel like he does this because he is mad at me for leaving for work as on weekends he never has an accident. I am literally brining Maxi up as if he is my human baby i adore him and love him with all my heart
im not big on the training other than the bathroom stuff
as far as commands he comes when i call and i feel like he understands
everyone is so big on training them im not i want him to feel free and happy thats just my opinion

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi,i also work and i now have 2 maltese,they seem so happy when i only had 1 and i also have a cat,seem lonely now she has a playmate she and he are so happy,i spend time in the morning brushing and love and yes they all sleep with us and night,they are great companions and so loving,i have had a few dogs in my life,but these have brightened my life so much,good luck and enjoy they are precious,i wouldnt change my decision on choosing the maltese breed for nothing. sweetpeas mom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts