Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Abby is really sick and I'm freaking out big time.

She looks like she is trying to go to the toilet but she just can't, but then last night I noticed that she had diarrhea (or however you spell it) really really bad. She pooped in my bathroom (my fault) and it was EVERYWHERE!

I put her in her play pen with some blankets and water and a little food... thinking maybe she just needed to take it easy and I'd see how she was this morning.... but she is still doing the same thing!

I'm really scared that she has eaten something.... or I don't know! I remember being told as a kid that if a dog eats something like a hair band then it can wrap around and block their intestines or bowels or something... she has on occasion pulled her hair out... not recently, but what if she found one from a while ago and ate it!?!??!?!??!

The other thing I'm worried about is that she has eaten a "house pest" like a cockroach or something... my house was sprayed about 2 weeks ago. We went away for the weekend and I cleaned it again when I got home - but what if something has since died and she has eaten it...??!?!?!

I'm going to call the vet as soon as it opens (in 1 hour and 33 minutes) but what can I do in the meantime?!?!?

I can't even let her out of the play pen because I'm scared she'll poop like she did last night in my house (I was dry-retching trying to clean that up... it was AWFUL)... but she's so sad being in there

Does anyone know what's wrong with my baby?? She's sort of wet around the mouth (not frothing or anything, but drooling) and has a really wet nose and bad bad bad diarrhea.... ???????????

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Oh no!! My sister's dog just went through the same thing. He's actually at the vets again today. I really don't know what it could be, but in my sister's case the dog ate something that blocked up his intestines. His first symptom was major diarreha. Please do call the vet asap!!! They did xrays after the dog drank I think a barium solution so that the vets could pin point the area with the blockage on the xray. I hope everything is okay with Abby and I guess in the meantime just watch her closely.
The vets will be able to figure it all out. If the wait is too long is there another vet or an emergency vet nearby?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
my last dog had colitis and had MAJOR diarrhea that lasted 3 days! He ended up staying in ICU for 3 more days. He had gotten into the trash and eaten too much table food scraps. I do hope your baby feels better soon.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I would call your Vet and see what they have to say. I hope it turns out to be nothing but an upset tummy, but it is better to be sure. Keep us posted

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Apr 6 2005, 04:00 PM
Oh no!!  My sister's dog just went through the same thing.  He's actually at the vets again today.  I really don't know what it could be, but in my sister's case the dog ate something that blocked up his intestines.  His first symptom was major diarreha.  Please do call the vet asap!!!  They did xrays after the dog drank I think a barium solution so that the vets could pin point the area with the blockage on the xray.  I hope everything is okay with Abby and I guess in the meantime just watch her closely.
The vets will be able to figure it all out.  If the wait is too long is there another vet or an emergency vet nearby?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49786
[/QUOTE]

nope

I decided I couldn't wait and rang the after hours number, but didn't get an answer
It said he was on another call.... and then I realised the time and that I had to rush to get to work

It's 7 mins before the vet opens... I'm going to call now...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Holliberry@Apr 6 2005, 04:03 PM
Is she eating and drinking ok?  I'm not quite sure what is wrong now? Are you just afraid she will have diahhrea again or is she in visible pain now?

I hope everything turns out ok
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49790
[/QUOTE]

I'm worried about her! I don't want her to feel sick

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hope all is okay with your baby.

I know how you feel. Several months ago Puddles woke up with diarrhea and vomiting. Well the heck with work. I called and told them I had a problem and would be late. Was standing at the Vet door when they open. He ended up with a virus, got meds and 2 days later was back to his self.

Oh ya, once at work, every one was so upset I had to tell them what happen. Was surprised they were worried and sent me back home at lunch to check on him.

·
Registered
447 Posts
This is a little off topic, but you telling me this just made me realize I need to make myself get on a budget. I mean what if an emergency happended with Brit'ny and she needed to go to the ICU? How much does that cost? $1,000? Man!

I am really sorry about your baby, Brits and I give lots of luv and kisses!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your well wishes everyone.

Well Abby and I were at the vets within 10 minutes of it opening. She has a pretty bad case of gastroenteritis. The reason she has been drooling is because she is nauseous... her tummy is grumbling like crazy the poor thing!

She had an antibiotic shot and I have antibiotic tablets to give her for the next few days. I also can't feed her for 24 hours to try to settle her tummy a bit....

The vet was concerned because her poop was a very dark brown and very runny

My poor baby

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sunshine@Apr 6 2005, 06:13 PM

Well Abby and I were at the vets within 10 minutes of it opening. She has a pretty bad case of gastroenteritis. The reason she has been drooling is because she is nauseous... her tummy is grumbling like crazy the poor thing!

She had an antibiotic shot and I have antibiotic tablets to give her for the next few days. I also can't feed her for 24 hours to try to settle her tummy a bit....

My poor baby 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49840
[/QUOTE]
I'm glad things are under control. Did the vet check for parasites? I don't know if you all have Giardia over there but my first Maltese, Rosebud, had those symptoms and the cause was Giardia. It is easily cured with drugs but is sometimes hard to diagnose.... There is a new test out now that makes it easier.

Best wishes for her feeling better.....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Apr 6 2005, 06:23 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sunshine
@Apr 6 2005, 06:13 PM

My poor baby 

I'm glad things are under control. Did the vet check for parasites? I don't know if you all have Giardia over there but my first Maltese, Rosebud, had those symptoms and the cause was Giardia. It is easily cured with drugs but is sometimes hard to diagnose.... There is a new test out now that makes it easier.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49841
[/B][/QUOTE]

:eek: Thank you for making me aware of this! I will see how she goes over the next 24-48 hours. The vet said if anything is going to go wrong, it is most likely to happen in that time... if she doesn't improve, I will definitely ask him about giardia... I have no idea what it is and if it is here - but hey! Like I said to him this morning - I would rather be the fool who paid money for an uneccesary vet visit than the fool who didn't!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sunshine+Apr 6 2005, 06:34 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 6 2005, 06:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Sunshine
@Apr 6 2005, 06:13 PM

My poor baby 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49841

[/QUOTE]

:eek: Thank you for making me aware of this! I will see how she goes over the next 24-48 hours. The vet said if anything is going to go wrong, it is most likely to happen in that time... if she doesn't improve, I will definitely ask him about giardia... I have no idea what it is and if it is here - but hey! Like I said to him this morning - I would rather be the fool who paid money for an uneccesary vet visit than the fool who didn't!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49846
[/B][/QUOTE]

Here is some info on giardia, just in case.... Giardia Info

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a million K/C's Mom.... you're a champ!

Well, I feel bad for my baby - I don't like to see her sick.

She's being treated to a bit of a pamper tomorrow to help her feel better... she's getting a haircut, just like Little C's in fact!!

I'd planned it well and truly before this happened, so I'll see how she is tomorrow and cancel if I have to, but if there's a reasonable improvement then I'll let her go and get pampered...

I got a great deal - $40 for a cut, bath, nails trimmed, eyes & ears cleaned(including hair removal from ear canal), and a blow dry! Oh and she gets pretty perfumes and stuff too

She'll love it and I bet she'll look just gorgeous and feel 100 times better afterwards!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Apr 6 2005, 08:02 PM
Glad to hear they were able to offer some help and that she is on her way to getting better
  Hate it when they feel sick

love from phoebe
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49907
[/QUOTE]

This happened to my other Malte, Frankie too! I woke up one morning and she could hardly move. She had bloody diarhhea and was making these really uncomfortable noises when I moved her. I rushed her to the Vet and she was in very serious condition. They stabilized her for two days on an IV with a course of antibiotics and anti-nausea meds. Her glucose and white blood cells were elevated. They told me it was something she may have eaten on the ground. Needless to say two days of being home and she was as fit as a fiddle. It was really funny because the Techs said when they tried to feed her kibble she snubbed her nose at it. But when one of the night crew came in with some fast food (Weinerschniztel to be exact) she went NUTS barking in her cage.

The vet told me not to feed her people food
I'm glad Abby is better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts