Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
oh just read the part about peeing on the couch....lovely! glad you gave her a pass lol....and it was covered, yikes.
LOL...yes! It was a huge one too. She only went once during the day. I tried to get her to go before we left to pick Tyler up--close to 4, but she wouldn't go!!!

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
LOL...yes! It was a huge one too. She only went once during the day. I tried to get her to go before we left to pick Tyler up--close to 4, but she wouldn't go!!!
that's something you just can't make them do, and it's usually when you are in a rush for them to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Tyler & Trissie have such a good mommy.

Thank you. I'm grateful I'm naturally patient!!!
I am just seeing this. Glad it was not cancer! Hope he is feeling better. Zach has always had tummy issues.
Thanks!!!!

Thank goodness it wasn't anything too serious.
Trissie was trying to distract you by hydrating your couch
Lol...or jealous Ty was getting lots of attention!

Harvey, What's your opinion of IBD? If that's what it is?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Maybe! lol :HistericalSmiley:

Dogs have a very short intestinal tract and usually they can expel many bacterial irritants within a few hours and be perfectly fine. So if Tyler is experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, tummy ache, or a lack of willingness to eat in a span of days, he may have IBD.

The consensus scientific community is that there isn't just one cause of IBD (bacterial, abdominal trauma from injuries, genetics, nutrition, and/or infections).

If Sophie was exhibiting the same symptoms as Tyler, I'd start by feeding boiled/steam brown rice (if he isn't allergic to gluten) with some slivers of boiled/steamed meat and some vegetables in small portions throughout the day. Who knows, a batch of the same kibble he's been eating for months, may be only now contaminated?

I hope the answer is as easy as adjusting his food. Good luck to all of you.

Thanks!!!!
Lol...or jealous Ty was getting lots of attention!

Harvey, What's your opinion of IBD? If that's what it is?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Maybe! lol :HistericalSmiley:

Dogs have a very short intestinal tract and usually they can expel many bacterial irritants within a few hours and be perfectly fine. So if Tyler is experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, tummy ache, or a lack of willingness to eat in a span of days, he may have IBD.

The consensus scientific community is that there isn't just one cause of IBD (bacterial, abdominal trauma from injuries, genetics, nutrition, and/or infections).

If Sophie was exhibiting the same symptoms as Tyler, I'd start by feeding boiled/steam brown rice (if he isn't allergic to gluten) with some slivers of boiled/steamed meat and some vegetables in small portions throughout the day. Who knows, a batch of the same kibble he's been eating for months, may be only now contaminated?

I hope the answer is as easy as adjusting his food. Good luck to all of you.
Thanks Harvey! Trissie isn't getting sick and they both eat small amounts of kibble--mostly Vital. Ty doesn't like rice, so that's an out--any other suggestions? I tried sweet potatoes, but no go. He did eat a tiny bit of a yukon gold potato. Veggies will be a challenge--he's super picky. He does like the boiled chicken I've been making him.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The problem with potatoes is that it has a lot of sugar and starches...Tyler might get a bit heavier as a result.

What about non-seasoned noodles with kibble?
Does Tyler like dog-safe peanut butter? If so, adding a little bit can make any rice/food filler very enticing.

Have you tried giving Tyler:
Oatmeal Porridge
Boiled carrots (when you boil/steam it, it gets very sweet)
Broccoli
Peas
Cabbage (boiled/steamed)
Shredded cucumber
Boiled/panfried (with no oil) egg
Freeze dried raw food (expensive but has a long shelf-life)

Also, most pet food stores will allow for your pets to test-try their foods for free. Maybe there's a specialty feed store nearby?
Thanks Harvey! Trissie isn't getting sick and they both eat small amounts of kibble--mostly Vital. Ty doesn't like rice, so that's an out--any other suggestions? I tried sweet potatoes, but no go. He did eat a tiny bit of a yukon gold potato. Veggies will be a challenge--he's super picky. He does like the boiled chicken I've been making him.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
He eats only a tiny bit. I can try noodles-did you mean egg noodles or those no yolk ones-or any sort of pasta?

He doesn't like peanut butter or oatmeal-lol. I can try the veggies, but I think it will be a stretch.

Surprisingly, last night he wouldn't eat the potato, but after the boiled chicken, he seemed hungry and ate about a quarter cup of Fromm's lam and lentil kibble!

Thanks for the help:heart:

The problem with potatoes is that it has a lot of sugar and starches...Tyler might get a bit heavier as a result.

What about non-seasoned noodles with kibble?
Does Tyler like dog-safe peanut butter? If so, adding a little bit can make any rice/food filler very enticing.

Have you tried giving Tyler:
Oatmeal Porridge
Boiled carrots (when you boil/steam it, it gets very sweet)
Broccoli
Peas
Cabbage (boiled/steamed)
Shredded cucumber
Boiled/panfried (with no oil) egg
Freeze dried raw food (expensive but has a long shelf-life)

Also, most pet food stores will allow for your pets to test-try their foods for free. Maybe there's a specialty feed store nearby?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I mean rice noodles (the type that's sold in Asian markets). They're thinly stranded, and has less starch than the Western type. There's not a lot of nutritional value, but its a good food binder.

Wow! Sounds like Tyler has a sophisticated pallet. What if you smear meat sauce (or rub a piece of meat on a food item)?

It sounds like he likes meat more than anything else.

Good luck :unsure:
He eats only a tiny bit. I can try noodles-did you mean egg noodles or those no yolk ones-or any sort of pasta?

He doesn't like peanut butter or oatmeal-lol. I can try the veggies, but I think it will be a stretch.

Surprisingly, last night he wouldn't eat the potato, but after the boiled chicken, he seemed hungry and ate about a quarter cup of Fromm's lam and lentil kibble!

·
Super Moderator
10,107 Posts

I struggled for several years with Tessa being a picky eater and having chronic colitis, diarrhea and vomiting. My "traditional" vet just kept trying metranidazole and changing food. We did figure out that Tessa has a problem with chicken, but that's as far as traditional medicine took us.

Four years ago we started seeing a holistic vet (and also changed primary vets because my first vet got cranky about my wanting an integrative approach). He diagnosed Tessa as likely IBD or possibly IBS but because the holistic protocol would be similar, he didn't want to put her through the endoscopy to confirm unless his protocol wasn't effective. She is now on dehydrated raw food, and two holistic supplements, and wow, what a difference! The most incredible thing was that as soon as she started on the holistic protocol, her appetite returned in full force and she was picky no more! The holistic vet said her "pickiness" was likely because her digestive system was upset and she didn't feel like eating.

We are still on dehydrated raw, although we are looking at a different brand just for more variety. One important thing our holistic vet has said is to look at the TCM warming and cooling characteristics of food. Chicken is a "cool" food in that it doesn't promote inflammation, which is important for an IBD/IBS dog. Duck, turkey and rabbit are also cooling foods. Lamb and venison are warming foods which are thought to stimulate and might be inflammatory. They are good for building energy, but might not be the best for dogs with digestive inflammation. Beef, salmon and pork are thought to be neutral.

Tessa does great on beef, and we are now looking at a freeze-dried raw with beef, rabbit and pork in their product line.

The fact that Tyler's appetite returned with the chicken makes me wonder if the TCM cooling characteristics of chicken might have something to do with that.
Save
Save
Save
Save

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wow, thanks Maggie. Definitely something to look into and he does sound similar to Tessa. Last night I mixed boiled chicken in with his Vital Beef and Bison and he ate it. He's not eating his cookies (Grandma Lucy Blueberry), which he has been, but not since Friday's endoscopy. I actually had thought about the holistic nutritionist and possibly home cooking as I know he won't eat the prescription food they sell at the Vet--if that's what the Vet wants me to do. But, our doctor also knows about Tyler's pickiness--in fact Tyler was in a study for picky eaters!!! I'll bring up the raw diet to the doctor and let him know your success with it. Originally, as a puppy, I was told to not put him on a raw diet by a different Vet at the hospital--although I sprinkled Stella and Chewys on his food for a bit when he wouldn't eat.

I struggled for several years with Tessa being a picky eater and having chronic colitis, diarrhea and vomiting. My "traditional" vet just kept trying metranidazole and changing food. We did figure out that Tessa has a problem with chicken, but that's as far as traditional medicine took us.

Four years ago we started seeing a holistic vet (and also changed primary vets because my first vet got cranky about my wanting an integrative approach). He diagnosed Tessa as likely IBD or possibly IBS but because the holistic protocol would be similar, he didn't want to put her through the endoscopy to confirm unless his protocol wasn't effective. She is now on dehydrated raw food, and two holistic supplements, and wow, what a difference! The most incredible thing was that as soon as she started on the holistic protocol, her appetite returned in full force and she was picky no more! The holistic vet said her "pickiness" was likely because her digestive system was upset and she didn't feel like eating.

We are still on dehydrated raw, although we are looking at a different brand just for more variety. One important thing our holistic vet has said is to look at the TCM warming and cooling characteristics of food. Chicken is a "cool" food in that it doesn't promote inflammation, which is important for an IBD/IBS dog. Duck, turkey and rabbit are also cooling foods. Lamb and venison are warming foods which are thought to stimulate and might be inflammatory. They are good for building energy, but might not be the best for dogs with digestive inflammation. Beef, salmon and pork are thought to be neutral.

Tessa does great on beef, and we are now looking at a freeze-dried raw with beef, rabbit and pork in their product line.

The fact that Tyler's appetite returned with the chicken makes me wonder if the TCM cooling characteristics of chicken might have something to do with that.
Save
Save
Save
Save

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I mean rice noodles (the type that's sold in Asian markets). They're thinly stranded, and has less starch than the Western type. There's not a lot of nutritional value, but its a good food binder.

Wow! Sounds like Tyler has a sophisticated pallet. What if you smear meat sauce (or rub a piece of meat on a food item)?

It sounds like he likes meat more than anything else.

Good luck :unsure:
Thanks Harvey. I actually have those at home!!

Thanks--I need it!!!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Kim,
So sorry to hear about Tyler's tummy issues.
It can be so hard to find a food that agrees with these little ones.
I hope you can figure it out easily and he feels all better quickly:wub:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts