Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know any details, but I just received a text from my brother, Robert, saying that their Boston Terrier, Duff, had to be put to sleep. :crying: I tried to call him but he's not answering his phone.

Please keep them in your prayers! I am so devastated for them. Duff was such a sweet boy and only about 5 years old. :(

:crying: :crying: :crying:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Rest in peace sweet Duff. Oh so very sorry and so sad. Please pass on my condolences to your brother. It truly is a hearbreak.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. We had two Bostons as kids such fun puppies absolutely loved fetch! One was black and white the other brindle and white..

·
Premium Member
17,464 Posts
:smcry::grouphug::prayer:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally talked to my brother. Oh my goodness I am so devastated for him!

Apparently, Duff had a few seizures as a pup (that was managed by medications). Then he has gone nearly 3 years seizure-free.

My brother does not have any kids, so his dogs are his furr-kids. They have their own bedroom with a doggie-door to a fenced backyard.

Robert went out last night for about 3 hours and when he came home, he called the dogs. His bull dog, Max, came in, but no Duff. Robert waited a few minutes then went to the backyard. It had been raining and at first, Robert didn't see Duff anywhere. Then he said he found him laying in a puddle. He had had a seizure and fell into the water. There was blood, puke, and feces everywhere. But Robert felt a pulse. So he started mouth to mouth and Duff started breathing and seizing again.

So he rushed to the emergency vet. Even with the vet pumping meds into Duff, he wouldn't stop seizing. By then there was swelling on the brain and they didn't think he was going to stop seizing. He also had hypothermia from being in the puddle so long. :crying:

So they got the papers to sign to put him down...and he slipped away even before Robert was done signing.

I just can't believe it, I am so devastated for my brother. :(

Duff was a purebred and Robert had contacted the breeder initially about the seizures. The breeder stated that she had never had seizure problems with any of her other puppies.

I swear, I knew the importance of genetic testing for the parents and grandparents before you breed. But now its is driven home SO much more. My breeder had both the T's bile acid tests (came back normal) but you can bet I will have the pups tested for that and anything else I need to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Oh honey, I'm so very sorry for you and your brother's loss. That is so very, very sad. Sending out hugs and prayers to you and your family. :grouphug: :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Kelly - how tragic. I'm so sorry for your brother and poor Duff. What a horrible thing for them to go through. Your brother must be in shock. Please pass on my sympathies. So very sad. :smcry: RIP Duff.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Oh I feel so so sad for your brother's loss of his Duff! I know it's a heartache like no other. I certainly will be keeping Robert in my prayers as he goes thru this very sad and difficult time.

·
Premium Member
17,464 Posts
Kelly, I do hope Robert won't feel guilt over having been away---that would be a normal reaction in times such as this. But chances are he could not have prevented death even if he had been home & life has it's requirements. I will pray for peace for both of you. I know he is devastated and I feel so, so sad w/you both. May God grant you the words to encourage him.
hugs

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I'm so so sorry. I hate this so much for your brother. You just don't think you're going to lose one so young. I'll remember your brother in my prayers.
My next door neighbor had their Boston PTS a couple of months ago and she was only 9 years old. They did everything they could to save her but she was in so much pain they did what was best for her. Its heartbreaking.
Prayers and hugs to you and your brother.
:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
oh how sad!!! I'm so sorry to hear this and how devastating. What kind of a breeder did your brother get him from? He may not have been from a good show breeder, he looks a bit off standard (not trying to put him down, just trying to point out that he may not have come from a conscientious breeder) If he came from a backyard breeder, let's hope that the breeder is keeping an eye out and didnt' breed the parents again.

Boy, what a sweet boy he looked like! Such a huge and happy smile!

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
I am so very sorry for your brother's loss and will keep him (and all of you) in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts