Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-family:Times">hi everyone....
i was browsin through dogster.com today when i stumbled upon a link to this site...

http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=main

i discovered pretty disturbing information about what i've been feeding Peaches.
never again will she be feasting on EUKANUBA!!! YUKK!!!!

anyways please take a look when you have the time. i think you will find it very interesting and informative....</span>

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There was a huge board about Iams a while back on here I remember reading stuff I though I was gonna be sick, some people on here even do homecooked meals for their dogs becuase some of the stuff is just so nasty (I dont have time or skill for that but if I did I proubly would)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, totally look for that iams thread. dog food companies only need 6 out of 8 dogs to survive to let that food out to the public

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@May 4 2005, 08:49 AM
Has anyone heard anything nasty aboout Science Diet.  My malts eat puppy small bites and adult small bites.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59576
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't use it. I have highighted the ingredients I'm not wild about. I do want to say that everyone has different standards for their dog foods and their own food. I am very, very picky about the food I eat. I have been a vegetarian since 1973. I use mainly organic veggies and fruit; I don't eat anything with trans fats, etc. So, naturally, I am very picky about what my babies eat, too. So, my comments are my point of view... others may feel differently. Here are the ingredients for Puppy Small Bites.

I don't like the fact that corn is the first ingredient. The first ingredient should be a meat protein. Corn is a known allergin for dogs. The 2nd ingredient is chicken by-product.... what more can I say. And then the 3rd ingredient is soybean meal. Soybeans are another allergin for dogs. The ingredients that come before the first source of oil are the ones that are considered the main ingredients... these are ones I am not impressed with at all.

Ground Whole Grain Corn (source of natural digestible carbohydrate & lutein), Chicken By-Product Meal (source of natural protein), Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp (source of natural dietary fiber), Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Rice, Fish Oil (source of natural DHA), Flaxseed (source of natural omega-3 fatty acids & alpha-linolenic acid), Soybean Oil (source of natural omega-6 fatty acids & linoleic acid), Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of stabilized vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (vitamin B1), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene (an antioxidant), Rosemary Extract.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+May 4 2005, 08:12 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-maltsmom
@May 4 2005, 08:49 AM
Has anyone heard anything nasty aboout Science Diet.  My malts eat puppy small bites and adult small bites.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59576
I wouldn't use it. I have highighted the ingredients I'm not wild about. I do want to say that everyone has different standards for their dog foods and their own food. I am very, very picky about the food I eat. I have been a vegetarian since 1973. I use mainly organic veggies and fruit; I don't eat anything with trans fatty acids, etc. So, naturally, I am very picky about what my babies eat, too. So, my comments are my point of view... others may feel differently. Here are the ingredients for Puppy Small Bites.

I don't like the fact that corn is the first ingredient. The first ingredient should be a meat protein. Corn is a known allergin for dogs. The 2nd ingredient is chicken by-product.... what more can I say. And then the 3rd ingredient is soybean meal. Soybeans are another allergin for dogs. The ingredients that come before the first source of oil are the ones that are considered the main ingredients... these are ones I am not impressed with at all.

Ground Whole Grain Corn (source of natural digestible carbohydrate & lutein), Chicken By-Product Meal (source of natural protein), Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp (source of natural dietary fiber), Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Rice, Fish Oil (source of natural DHA), Flaxseed (source of natural omega-3 fatty acids & alpha-linolenic acid), Soybean Oil (source of natural omega-6 fatty acids & linoleic acid), Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of stabilized vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (vitamin B1), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene (an antioxidant), Rosemary Extract.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59580
[/B][/QUOTE]

I saw that too when I looked at the page. Should I start buying the science diet that has the meat listed first? Or do you think that all science diet is bad? If so what do you recommend. I don't have time to cook their meals, but I will pay what ever it takes to keep them healthy. Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@May 4 2005, 09:19 AM
I saw that too when I looked at the page.  Should I start buying the science diet that has the meat listed first?   Or do you think that all science diet is bad?  If so what do you recommend.  I don't have time to cook their meals, but I will pay what ever it takes to keep them healthy.  Thanks for any advice you can give.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59583
[/QUOTE]

Here are some good ones - notice the lovely ingredients.. Notice they have no corn or byproducts. I use Newman's Own.

Ingredients - Artemis
Artemis Web Site
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Vitamin E, C and Rosemary Extract), Oatmeal, Dried Eggs, Fish Meal, Natural Flavoring, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Fresh Potatoes, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Peas, Whole Fresh Apples, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root (Prebiotics), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Garlic, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Chelates of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sage Extract, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermantation Soulubles (Digestive Enzyme), Enterococcus Faecium and Lactobacillus Acidophilus(Probiotics)

Ingredients - Newman's Own Organics Adult Kibble Newman's Own Organics Web Site
Chicken, Organic Barley, Organic Rice, Organic Milo, Organic Oats, Organic Ground Flax Seed, Chicken Meal, Organic Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Naturally Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Organic Carrots, Organic Potatoes, Calcium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Kelp, Parsley, Dehydrated Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Ascorbate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Iodide, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

Another great food is Innova.... they don't have complete ingredient list on their site.... but they do have lots of info, including some of the ingredients included:
Innova Web Site

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I found a list of the ingredients in the Innova Puppy:
  INGREDIENTS:
Turkey, chicken, chicken meal, barley, brown rice, cottage cheese, tomatoes, hemp oil, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, potatoes, herring, apples, carrots, alfalfa sprouts, eggs, garlic, dicalcium, phosphate, eggs, garlic, dl-alpha tocopherol, sodium ascorbate, chicory root extract, freeze dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, potassium chloride, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, zinc proteninate, iron protenate, carotene, niacin d-calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, pryidoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, calcium iodate, biotin

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protien (min): 26%
Crude Fat (min): 12%
Crude Fiber (max): 3.5%
Moisture (max): 10%
Vitamin E (min): 1000 IU/kg
*Linoleic Fatty Acids (Omegs 6) (min): 3.9%
*Fatty Acids (Omega 3) (min): 1.3%
*Total microorganisms (min) 1,000,000,000 CFU/lb
(Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophillus, Lactobacillus plantarum in equal amounts)
Calories: 4,000 kcal/kg
Calories: 500 kcal/cup
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutruent Profiles[/B]
Here is the Innova Adult:
  INGREDIENTS:
Turkey, chicken, chicken meal, barley, brown rice, potatoes, rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), herring, apples, carrots, cottage cheese, sunflower oil, dl-calcium, phosphate, alfalfa sprouts, eggs, garlic, di-alpha tocopherol, freeze dried streptococcus faecium fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, freeze dries lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, potassium chloride, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, zinc proteninate, iron protenate, beta carotene, niacin, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, manganous proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, pryidoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, calcium iodate, biotin

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protien (min): 24%
Crude Fat (min): 14%
Crude Fiber (max): 3%
Vitamin E (min): 300IU/kg
Vitamin C (min): 500 mg/kg
*Linoleic Fatty Acids (Omegs 6) (min): 4.25%
*Fatty Acids (Omega 3) (min): 0.60%
*Total microorganisms (min) 900,000,000 CFU/lb
*(Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophillus, Lactobacillus plantarum in equal amounts)
Calories: 4,168 kcal/kg
Calories: 557 kcal/cup
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutruent Profiles[/B]
And here is Innova Senior:
INGREDIENTS:
Turkey, chicken, barley, brown rice, potatoes, rice, chicken meal, herring, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), apples, carrots, cottage cheese, sunflower oil, dicalcium phosphate, dl-alpha tocopherol, alfalfa sprouts, eggs, garlic, sodium ascorbate, chicory root extract, freeze dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, freeze dried lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, calcium carbonate, zinc proteninate, iron protenate, carotene, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, pryidoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, calcium iodate, biotin

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protien (min): 18%
Crude Fat (min): 8%
Crude Fiber (max): 5.5%
Vitamin E (min): 1000 IU/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate (min): 55 mg/cup
Glucosamine (min): 65 mg/cup
*Linoleic Fatty Acids (Omegs 6) (min): 2.8%
*Fatty Acids (Omega 3) (min): 0.6%
*Total microorganisms (min) 900,000,000 CFU/lb
(Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophillus, Lactobacillus plantarum in equal amounts)
Calories: 3,490 kcal/kg
Calories: 397 kcal/cup
I've been feeding Lexi Innova since last September. She loves it. A little warning though. Innova is high in calories so make sure you don't feed anymore then the recommended amount. Lexi is 8.5lbs and get 1/2 cup of food total a day (1/4 cup in the AM and another 1/4 cup in the PM).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 4 2005, 09:54 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59600
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that... I could never find those ingredients! Kallie didn't like Innova and she was so picky. It wasn't until I got Newman's that she actually seemed to like her food. I guess it is just a matter of doggy opinion.....

·
Registered
608 Posts
I will try to find the name of the study. But it compared different diets for dogs. They found that feeding a dog one type of food only for the entire life span of the dog was a contributing factor to late devolped food allergies. We rotate on different types of Natural Balance and have great results w/it. I also mix in some of their "sausage" stuff. They also listed the top dog foods and all i remember is that iams, ekanuba, science diet where no where on that list. At the time I read it I was feeding science diet.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+May 4 2005, 08:59 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@May 4 2005, 09:54 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59600
Thanks for posting that... I could never find those ingredients! Kallie didn't like Innova and she was so picky. It wasn't until I got Newman's that she actually seemed to like her food. I guess it is just a matter of doggy opinion.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59604
[/B][/QUOTE]
Here is the site I found it on: Doggie Style Bakery
It looks like they list ingredients for all of the foods they carry.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<span style="font-family:Times">what do you guys think of the brand "WELLNESS" by old mother hubbard?</span>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts