Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have read the cat urine thread where I talked about Spencer and his "urinating out of the litterbox" problem.

He has been amiss abuot the litterbox for several years (at first only pooing outside it) but improves/stops in spurts here and there. We tried Ovaban (some hormone or something) it didn't work...I tried beating his butt (that worked for a little bit)...but now he has started the pee-pee thing.
It is really on my last nerve. The vet gave him an antibiotic a few weeks ago b/c he said he white count was high in his urine...things improved, but now he is doing it even worse. I read several reasons they do this on the internet, and also that this is one of the biggest reasons cats are put into shelters. Unfortunately, I believe it! -_-

I took him in early this morning to stay at the vet all day. My vet thinks I am
anyway...and I told him this morning to do any test he felt appropriate-urine, blood, x-ray, psychiatric...etc..He DIED laughing...but I was serious!
Not that I WANT anything to be physically wrong with him, but I would be much more relieved to know there was a physical reason rather than just a behavioral-does that make sense?

Anyway, I go to pick him up after school.
I am not sure of all the options if he does not stop.
A friend of mine had hers put to sleep for this reason, at about Spencer's age.

Another alternative would be to live most of his days in large crate with no run of the house.

I don't know if belly bands-diapers are an options...etc.

Anyway-got it on my mind today...I wan't some news...but I don't know what kind...ya know?!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i hope everything is easy resolved! i will have my fingers crossed in hopes of good news

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Good thoughts coming your way and Spencer's way.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I hope you find something out for you and Spencer.Im having the same problem with my Moms cat( Mom is gone)He is around 11 yrs.I also had all kind of tests done and no answers.The only thng I can do is put him to sleep and I just cant bring myself to do it.So my carpet by the litterbox gets cleaned alot

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by sheila2182@Mar 17 2005, 11:51 AM
I hope you find something out for you and Spencer.Im having the same problem with my Moms cat( Mom is gone)He is around 11 yrs.I also had all kind of tests done and no answers.The only thng I can do is put him to sleep and I just cant bring myself to do it.So my carpet by the litterbox gets cleaned alot

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=43990
[/QUOTE]

I wish it was only by the litterbox...
He is around 11 too...maybe 12...
He likes the space in front of my dresser and closet, and an area in my daughter's bedroom....

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts...

·
Registered
939 Posts
aw i feel so bad for you we had 2 ragdolll cats for about a yera until my daughter couldnt take it anymore (ALLERGIES). and one we tried to adopt after bailey had that problem as a kitty i couldnt take it anymore than 3 weeks and he went back to the breeder
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pdpdk89/my_photos here some of there pixs if you like to see them i miss them but they got a really great home in manhattan oh lala !! I pray all is well with spenser

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
will they have the results for u today??

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 17 2005, 01:19 PM
will they have the results for u today??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44018
[/QUOTE]

I don't know?! I didn't ask...but that is one reason I took him so early and left him-I feel like, since his white count was high before, that this has something to do with it. But, who knows...?!

He started the bad pooping habit when we rented a house that had pets before us...dogs, chickens, who knows what else in the house. He decided that in front of the tv was a nice place to poop! Then when we moved into our house, he used the same two places as he is peeing to poop. I just decided that he liked the carpet better once he started. A few swats on the butt
(I hated doing it!) would deter it for a while...but then this urinating started.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Denise&Chico@Mar 17 2005, 01:34 PM
my mom and dads cat at12 got diebeties and she would pee outside the box did they check for that? is she drinking alot?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44021
[/QUOTE]

I can't really tell...Spencer has always been one that had to eat/drink if he walked by the bowl, or in the room where the food is...he seems to eat/drink normally-but with three...it is somewhat hard to keep track of.

He hasn't tested him for that...I don't know what he will test for today. I just left it in his hands..

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My husband has a cat that did that also. He is a big cat...28 pounds. We have 2 cat boxes in the house...both aren't litter boxes, they were too small. We went to Home Depot and found something that I believe is for mixing cement. Really big and has high sides. For a while late last year Pookie decided he liked doing his business better in the dining room. Carpet smelled so bad. We tried everything and nothing worked for more than 2 weeks without the smell coming back. Finally someone here recommended a product that you can purchase at the petstores that is in a canister that is in a grandule (sp?) that you put on the carpet and let sit for 24 hours. It worked. Had to do it 3 times before Pookie wouldn't keep using the carpet. We found that a large box with very high sides worked for us. I too was ready to put Pookie down, I was in tears over it.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Mar 17 2005, 06:47 PM
good thoughts being sent your way that Spencer will be okay and you get the results today.

Just a thought, I notice in your last post you say he would eat drink when he walks by his box  - how close is the water and food to his litter box?  Cats dont like to eat and drink near where they do their business - they can be quite fastidious!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44087
[/QUOTE]

I edited that post to say bowl
not box. That was a mis-type.
The litterboxes and the food are not in the same room...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well...
I hope I get this right...

There was a new vet in the office today and that REALLY threw me for a loop. :new_Eyecrazy: He just came right out and started talking to me this afternoon when I got there, and I had NO idea who he was.
He was VERY nice and informative..but all I could think was..."Who are you?"
I did ask when he was all finished, and he was really embarrassed that he had not introduced himself. He has been there 2-3 weeks and is going to be a part of the practice/clinic. I was fine with what I saw...he seemed great! I was just a little confused at first.

Anyway, I THINK this is what he said...

Spencer's white count was high, which points to infection but his red count was fine...so there is no inflamation. They did an x-ray to check for stones...and supposedly cat stones like "glow" on the x-ray or something, so they didn't see any of that. He said that was good.
Because of the white count, he put me back on the antibiotic for 10 days...(he is AWFUL about taking it!
). He is also ordering another type of medicine that seemed experimental or something.
I am going to ask more questions tomorrow when I go pick it up...but if I understood him correctly, if the white count/infection is not the issue and doesn't solve the problem, then he might have a condition much like females when they have ?! (this is the word I don't know if I have right) "cystititis" or something...he made it sound like it was something that irritated the bladder..and wasn't that common in males, but mostly females-(and I am not sure whether he was indicating female cats or humans?). Anyway, he said if this is the problem, it is more of a behavioral issue and hopefully this medicine along with the antibiotic will stop it altogether.
If they don't, then they will do further tests.

Brinkley was really glad to see him back home. He was quite upset this morning when I packed up his buddy and took him out the door.
He beat him up some, gave him a good
, and dragged him around by his ear across the kitchen floor to show him how much he loved/missed him.
Ha ha...

Anyway, if I am any more clear on the situation tomorrow afternoon, I will let ya know. Thanks again for all the kind thoughts/words. I love my fluffy felines too.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Brinkley was really glad to see him back home. He was quite upset this morning when I packed up his buddy and took him out the door.
He beat him up some, gave him a good
, and dragged him around by his ear across the kitchen floor to show him how much he loved/missed him.
Ha ha...

I hope the medicine helps your kitty!! My male cat has been spraying....
and he's fixed-- but every spring he does this and he drives me nuts .... I didn't think they did this after they were fixed.........

1 - 20 of 29 Posts