Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ollie was resting in the sun a little bit ago and his ear was flopped over. It was obvious his ear hairs had not been plucked by his groomer so I decided to do it. He was so good....just stayed still and let me get them out....I think he knew it would feel better. Only thing is I didn't have any powder....what kind of powder should I use since I think I'll be doing this on a regular basis?

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
There's an ear drying powder you can buy at any Petco/Petsmart in the grooming section. I didn't use it and always instructed my groomers not to use either. I found it stayed in the ears and compacted. Yuck!

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Scratch the powder then....I'll do it without! Thanks!
Donna, when you give Ollie a bath, place cotton balls in his ears to assist in keeping out water, then change them after to dry ones before you blow dry him.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Donna, when you give Ollie a bath, place cotton balls in his ears to assist in keeping out water, then change them after to dry ones before you blow dry him.
I check Lucy and Barron's ears every week - when I do their nails. I clean the outer part of the ear with cleaner once a week.

Starsmom:

Oh my goodness, I never knew that you should place cotton back into the ears when drying -

Thank you for the tip!

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I check Lucy and Barron's ears every week - when I do their nails. I clean the outer part of the ear with cleaner once a week.

Starsmom:

Oh my goodness, I never knew that you should place cotton back into the ears when drying -

Thank you for the tip!
When the cotton is replaced after the bath, it does 2 things - it absorbes any water that may have gotten into the ear, and it protects the ear when drying - dogs don't like the sound of the dryer or the air being blown indirectly in their ears.

How much of it should you pluck? Mine has tons! Hairy ears!
As much as your baby will sit for. There's been some discussion here in the past about wheather to pluck or not to pluck. There are MANY threads on the topic. Just do an advanced search and put in "ear plucking" for the keywords, then the Grooming for the "search in Forums" area.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
When I was at the vet today for Tyler's Parvo Distemper shot I asked her to look in his ears because he would sometimes shake his head which when I had dogs in the past, might mean an ear infection. She checked and said they looked great but then she said I should be plucking some of the hair out that is discolored which shows how it traps moisture. She just kind of gently pulled on the long hairs and they came out in her hand. I was amazed. So I guess i need to do that.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Rylee is 7 1/2 years old. I have never plucked her ears and never had a problem. My way of thinking is if it is not broken don't try to fix it.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I only pluck if needed. And you do not need to pluck them clean - just enough so the ear can breathe.

I use R7 Ear Powder. DO NOT APPLY THE POWDER DIRECTLY INTO THE EAR. Dumping powder in the ear can block up the canal. You just need a dab on your fingers and then use your fingers to pluck. The powder helps give you grip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I worked at the Animal Hospital in my town I doubled as a groomer. We always plucked the hair out of each dog's ear that we did. Butwe only plucked the ones that were growing down into the ear and blocking the canal. For the ones on the "outside" of the ear, (not in the canal, but around it) we trimmed with scissors. As far as my Haleigh and Allie go I do Allie's when needed, but Haleigh has VERY oily skin and lots of ear wax so I do hers frequently. When I first rescued her she had hair in her canal that I swear was growing into her brain. It was every bit of 3 1/2 to 4 inches long!!! I can see the need for plucking, but as my OPO goes, it all depends ont he dog.

·
Premium Member
17,451 Posts
Kitzel has very, very narrow, tiny ear canals (one side is worse than the other)---my vet says the smallest she has ever seen! I bought a special pair of long tweezers from a grooming supplier w/blunt ends that have helped a lot! I use my fingers for the more outer stuff----he isn't really good about this but it does help not to get infections. Now I need to get one of those lights for my forehead so I can see!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I may have a silly question ...... how in the world do you get the cotton balls to STAY IN :smilie_tischkante:?? For me, no matter how small i make them they seem to fall out faster than I got them in :w00t:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I may have a silly question ...... how in the world do you get the cotton balls to STAY IN :smilie_tischkante:?? For me, no matter how small i make them they seem to fall out faster than I got them in :w00t:

Are you trying to use the entire cotton ball? I just pull the cotton ball apart to get a size I think will fit into Karli's ear.

Edited to add that somehow I missed the second sentence. Sorry.

I just hold the ear flap up and gently push the cotton ball into the ear canal a little of the way.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Are you trying to use the entire cotton ball? I just pull the cotton ball apart to get a size I think will fit into Karli's ear.

Edited to add that somehow I missed the second sentence. Sorry.

I just hold the ear flap up and gently push the cotton ball into the ear canal a little of the way.
Star was a big boy so I split 1 cotton ball for both ears - the little fluffs could probably do 1 ball divided into 4 pieces - 2 for bath, 2 for drying.

To place see above. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts