Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a quality food for my maltese. He doesn't eat very much and I want to find the best food I can. I recently read in Maltese Magazine, Volume 29 (Petsmart) that many Maltese breeders recommend we feed them dry foods containing a guaranteed analysis of at least 30 percent protein and 17 percent (or higher) fat. The first two ingredients should be animal protein and avoid diets listing whole grain meals like starches, gluten, bran, middlings, and millings after meat. I've done quite a bit of comparison and there just aren't many of these higher quality foods with a 30:17 ratio that DOES NOT contain beet pulp. In order to use one of these higher quality foods, I may have to use one that contains beet bulp.

Currently my Maltese doesn't have a tear stain problem, his food doesn't contain beet pulp and his current food does have a 30:20 ratio but the second ingredient which follows chicken is corn gluten meal. According to the breeders recommendation in the magazine, the first two ingredients should be protein and gluten meal should not come after the protein. Therefore, I feel I need to find a better food.

I'm curious if the beet pulp is really an issue. I've seen some of the ingredients in dog foods that contain beet pulp without sugar, or shredded beet pulp instead of dried beet pulp. Not sure if any of that really makes a difference either.

Since beet pulp may be a cause of some tear staining, I would like to do a poll.

For those of you with a Maltese that DOES NOT have a tear staining problem, does your dogs food contain beet bulp?

Thanks so much for any replies.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi is on Innova Adult Dry dog food. It does not contain beet pulp.
Moisture  10.0 %
Protein    24.0 %
Fat      14.0 %
Fiber      3.0 %
Calories  1667 Kcal/lb
Calories  3676 Kcal/Kg
Calories  557 KCals/Cup[/B]
Nikki is on Innove Puppy Dry Food. It also does not have beet pulp in it.
Moisture  10.0 %
Protein  26.0 %
Fat  12.0 %
Fiber  3.5 %
Calories  1635 Kcal/lb
Calories  3605 Kcal/Kg
Calories  500 KCals/Cup[/B]

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley has very little staining...his food does not have beets.
He is on Chicken Soup.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You might Want to try newmans. It was recommended to me by Kallie/Catcher's Mom
Our puppies love it and Chester is a very picky eater. Chelsey loves it as well.

Try Newman's Own Organics. I like it because it uses organic ingredients and hormone and anti-biotic free chicken. K & C are berserk over it. I use it for treats and they jump for joy when I bring it out. Both K & C have firm stools every single day.

It is rather pricey at $8.99 (& more at some stores) for a 5-pound bag. Newman's Own Organics Web Site

Newman's Own Organics Adult Food - Chicken & Rice:

Chicken, Organic Barley, Organic Rice, Organic Milo, Organic Oats, Organic Ground Flax Seed, Chicken Meal, Organic Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Naturally Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Organic Carrots, Organic Potatoes, Calcium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Kelp, Parsley, Dehydrated Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Ascorbate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Iodide, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein................21.0% (min)
Crude Fat......................12.0% (min)
Crude Fiber.....................4.5% (max)
Moisture........................10.0% (max)[/B]

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Catherine@Jul 21 2005, 12:48 PM
The first two ingredients should be animal protein and avoid diets listing meals, starches, gluten, bran, middlings, and millings after meat.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83349
[/QUOTE]

I had always heard that chicken meal, lamb meal, etc. was a very good source of protein. I wonder why they say it should not have "meal".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jul 21 2005, 12:30 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Catherine
@Jul 21 2005, 12:48 PM
The first two ingredients should be animal protein and avoid diets listing meals, starches, gluten, bran, middlings, and millings after meat.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83349
I had always heard that chicken meal, lamb meal, etc. was a very good source of protein. I wonder why they say it should not have "meal".
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83365
[/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry. I should have been more clear. Meat meals are good. I was referring to whole grain meals like ground corn, corn gluten meal, corn bran, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does the puppy like the food?
I am getting our pup tomorrow night and I was thinking of mixing what the breeder has with Innova puppy.( not right away of course)

thanks

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by JAKIEP33@Jul 21 2005, 03:22 PM
Does the puppy like the food?
I am getting our pup tomorrow night and I was thinking of mixing what the breeder has with Innova puppy.( not right away of course)

thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=83411
[/QUOTE]
Lexi and Nikki LOVE their food. They eat each others sometimes. I try to make them eat their own but sometimes it just gets to the point that at leas they are eating.

If you are going to switch to or add a new food you need to try to gradually introduce it. Do this over the course of 2-3 weeks. Some dogs (like my girls) will decide all they want is the new food so they refuse to eat the old food.
Little stinkers.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sassi has been on all sorts of dog food.
Some have had beet pulp and some have not.
But...she has NEVER had a tearstaining problem in her life. She has always had clean eyes. I'm not bragging....just very lucky.
I guess that is why I have a hard time believing that beet pulp causes 'eye staining'.
Do you think it is a genetic thing?
Might do a poll to see if anyone has had a dog that had eyestaining and then changed their diet and the eyestaining left. That would be interesting.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Lexi had horrid tear staining while we were trying to find a food she would eat. We finally got her on Chicken Soup and her eyes are pretty and white for the first time in her life. Don't know if it was beet pulp or just the better food in general????

·
Registered
755 Posts
Princess doesn not have a tear staining problem. She has been on RC for a while and I think it has beet pulp in it.
I also think it could be a genetic thing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am on another list and one of the breeders posted there that the beet pulp/tear stain connection is a myth...that beet pulp is WHITE, not red like the beet...so it has nothing to do with tear staining. I can't say whether this is true or not...but Pippin has been on a food that contains beet pulp since the day I brought him home and he has never had any tear staining. Interesting thread.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chester and Chelsey were on Royal chain,.
At first Chelsey was on Premium something. She had no tear stains .
Then I switched her over to Royal chain as Chester was on it.
I noticed her eyes were staining very badly...

I have not taken them both off Royal Chain and her eyes have improved. The staining is not completely gone , but at least it is not running down her face like before.
I also noticed that Chester does not get that goop in his eyes anymore. I thought it might have been the beat pulp but I guess it could have been any one of those small ingredients in the food. Any way we are al lot happier now. They love there new food and I only need to wipe her eyes again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts