Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought Susie (4 mth old maltese) home last night and she has not poo poo yet. It's been nearly 15 hours. She's eating, drinking and peeing fine and is quite active. She did poo at the breeder's place before bringing her home and she vomitted a little in the crate (motion sickness, perhaps) on the ride home. I've been trying to get her to poo numerous times throughout the day but to no avail.

Is it possible that she's still settling in? I was planning on bringing her to the vet tomorrow for a check up, so I'll ask him about it if she has not pooped by then.

The breeder feeds her dogs Back to Basics and I'm continuing with it. I read it's the no. 1 selling holistic pet food in Malaysia and is easily available in the petstore I frequent. Out of curiousity, what brand(s) do you feed and how's your malty thriving on it?

Thanks and have a good weekend!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,
Its quite possible that Suzie's not quite used to her new home yet. Muff went through this stage when we first bought her. I probally would just keep an eye on Suzie, but dont worry too much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Susie pooped! I guess it did take her a while to settle in
I'm quite relieved. She's all a puppy should be... happy, sleep, eat, drink, pee and poo. Hubby and I spent 30 minutes playing and teaching her to come and recognise her name. She's real smart.

·
Registered
181 Posts
YAY, SUSIE!!! Do take her to the vet for a wellness check anyway tomorrow, Alyn. Has she had her puppy shots? Colette grazes a bit on the puppy Science Diet, therefore, I make sure that what she eats of people food is balanced and nourishing. I tried different brands, but she's a stubborn one, she is! She also loves the parrots' pellets and, in turn, the parrots take great delight in feeding her! The pellets are a balanced diet; they are not like dumping a handfull of sunflower seeds into a cage. It's a balanced diet for parrots....not Maltese puppies, so I immediately checked the ingredients. It looked like just some of the fat content was missing. I then called the vet to make sure....all is well and my floors are clean. :lol:
Gail

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, took her to the vet and all's well with Susie. She has had her puppy shots and is due for another one later this month. I've given her the full run of the kitchen (puppy proofed, of course) and she's been good with her potty on papers. I intended on getting her those wee wee pads but the petstore only sells single disposable ones that will cost quite a bit in the long run. They did tell me that they'll be bringing in packs on 10 next year so hopefully those will be cheaper. In the meantime, she's pottying on papers.

Sigh... just when I thought she was the most well behaved puppy... today she woke me up with incessant barking. She was barking at 2am and started up again at 4.40am. She barked for 10 mins and when she stopped for a while, I went in to check on her. I don't want her to have the habit of barking without reason, that's why I waited a while. She was ok, so I led her back to her crate and draped a quilt over it to muffle her barking. Left one end opened for ventilation. She was still barking her little head off but I just ignored her. She just stopped after 20 minutes. It's now 5.15am. Can you tell I'm sleep deprived? :D

What do you do with your barky pup? Any tips?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yay! for Susie
Thats so sweet. Most Maltese are smart

Muff used to bark a LOT. You should train your dog at an early age tricks and so on.

Here's a tip: Let Susie inside you house when she's older cause it can get really hot. Feed her treats and love her, lol of course you will!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Susie's an indoor doggy
I live in apt and she has the whole kitchen to herself. I do crate train her and she's been pretty good about it. But she was extremely noisy last night. Hopefully she'll be better tonight.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm sorry, but I do feel very sorry for Muffie.
A Maltese is an indoor/in your face dog who is in almost constant need of human companionship. They are for living in houses and apartments...even in warmer climates; they do not like to be isolated. I hope you consider making her an indoor dog. People should make sure that the breed they choose fits their lifestyle along with the dog's needs. Just my 2 cents worth.
Gail

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another yay for Susie! She hardly made a peep last night. I have to say I'm glad I read various resources on puppy training and separation anxiety. She's pretty independent, playing in her crate and running in and out when she feels like it. I don't know what it was the previous night... she probably saw a lizard passing by and decided to let the whole household know about it

I agree that maltese should be indoor dogs. Even if the weather permits, they should only be taken out during walks or plays. I think this holds true with most toy breeds. Since they are small, it means small poopies and pees which is easy to clean up. It's quite simple to paper train them. I managed to find a cheaper brand of weewee pads and it's working great.

Susie wakes me up at 6am every morning. I take her potty, if she does not do her business I'll start feeding her. She would normally be so happy that someone is up to play with her that she'll forget all about doing anything else (puppy attention span!). So, I spend this time teaching her tricks. After a while, she'll go potty and will be quite happy to go into her crate for food and self-play. She's still pretty small and young, hence I won't be taking her out for walks yet. The vet also informed me that it's best to only bring her outdoors once her puppy boosters are done.

Right now, she's happily playing and chewing her toys in her crate. I think it's also important to have variety of toys so that puppies won't get bored. And it's best to wash them out every week or everyday for the nylon, plasticky types.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Using a crate is super and the dog begins to feel as though it's his/her den.
I trip over more toys! The good part, however, is that we can keep rotating what they play with. When they haven't seen the toy for about a week, it's like you just bought them a brand new one. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
When i first brought Star home, i also used a crate to train him housebreaking but unfortunately he didn't like it and kept barking the whole night. The next morning, he actually refused to go inside the crate even for food or treats, sigh! Disheartened, i returned the crate to the shop to exchange for somethings else.
I let him slept with us in the bedroom and he has been good since then.
Ialso found out that malteses are good watchdog as Star always bark to warn me if there's some strangers approaching the front door but otherwise he's not really into barking. Be patience, alyn. I'm sure that everythings will turn out well eventually..... :D :D :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
muffie : That's great... it sounds like Muffie does have it all
Sorry I thought she was outdoors most of the time. Maltese are vulnerable to all kinds of risks and crazy neighbours are one of them! *lol*

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
muffie : Thanks for visiting. I'm planning on adding more pictures soon but need to give Susie a bath and groom first. I'm in Malaysia and depending on which part of Australia you're at, we should be sharing similar hours. If you're in NSW / SA / Vic, you'll be 3 hours ahead. If you're in WA, it would be the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, if you're up in Qld., you're 2 hours ahead
I didn't know which part of Aussie you're at and took several wild guesses. BTW, how's the weather there? Hubby and I are planning to visit some friends and relatives in Sydney / Perth during winter next year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alyn: Well most days up here are REALLY HOT, but for the past 2 wks there has been some strong wind.. and a flood of rain that lasted for 20 mins! We haven't had rain since the start of the year so it was really nice

1 - 20 of 23 Posts