Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I posted about this a few weeks back. Delilah is pretty much potty trained. With that I mean, she has no pee/poop accidents and goes on her pad all the time. EXCEPT, if one of the bedroom doors get left open and she is out, then she will sneak back there and poop, never pees, just poops.

Like a bit ago- I took her out of her crate after her nap, I tell her to go peepee and she always goes straight to her pad. Then she went off to play, etc. About 10 mins later I noticed that she started to wander down the hallway and start to go into the boys room. I called her and she came running, she knew it to, she knew I caught her and I before I can say go poopoo on your pad. And she runs to her pads and does just that. So I know she knows better, but why is it she wants to poop in the bedroom? Her pad is clean and I even lay down a large piece of plastic under the pad, so it gives her more room to do her biz.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Some dogs like privacy for pooping ( at least 2 of mine do) So I make sure the weewee pads are in a screened off area . My Emma does NOt like anyone watching , even outdoors. She looks for a bush, shrub, etc. Indoors we have a screened off spot where the pads are.

I think somehow your pup thinks the bedroom is an acceptable alternate potty spot. Maybe she can smell residual urine? I would get the "Urine Gone" spray and blacklight ( its an "As Seen on TV" product) And get rid of any trace of excrement.

Then keep the Bedroom doors closed at all times and police her at all times. When she goes in the right spot praise her like its the best thing she has ever done. Most Maltese Dogs love to please their humans.

She is still young. Just be consistent.Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Mine will poop in my kids rooms on occasion (I have no idea why) but basically - I don't give them the chance to get in there and do it. My kids rooms aren't spotless by any means so I especially don't want to run the risk of them picking up something off the floor that wasn't meant to be there.

So my advice would be to gate off access to your kids rooms, if at all possible.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I close every door to every room in the house so Sophie can only be in the living room, kitchen, and dining room. She can also go down the hallway but can't go into any of the rooms. I also have her two potty spots, each in different rooms. She uses both of them and usually does her poopies on the pad in the room where no one usually is.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I love your new siggy! What great pictures of those girls.
Rocky is completely potty trained and goes outside on the side of the house in two different areas, one for pee, one further down for poop. Before he was potty trained and we were still working on it, he would poop at the rug in the livingroom. So we had it cleaned and rolled it up and stored it away. Then he would sneak in and poop in the bedrooms. Sometimes pee. So we started closing all the bedroom doors, so now he only has the run of the great room, kitchen and entryway. I do not have a dining room or livingroom. So it's all tile. Now that he is really good with the training and I trust him, Ive been leaving the office door open. He comes in and out and lies on the carpeting while I'm on the computer. It does get better!:aktion033:

I think I posted about this a few weeks back. Delilah is pretty much potty trained. With that I mean, she has no pee/poop accidents and goes on her pad all the time. EXCEPT, if one of the bedroom doors get left open and she is out, then she will sneak back there and poop, never pees, just poops.

Like a bit ago- I took her out of her crate after her nap, I tell her to go peepee and she always goes straight to her pad. Then she went off to play, etc. About 10 mins later I noticed that she started to wander down the hallway and start to go into the boys room. I called her and she came running, she knew it to, she knew I caught her and I before I can say go poopoo on your pad. And she runs to her pads and does just that. So I know she knows better, but why is it she wants to poop in the bedroom? Her pad is clean and I even lay down a large piece of plastic under the pad, so it gives her more room to do her biz.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't know why but they seem to love carpet and once they have been doing their business on it, it's almost impossible to keep them from doing it again. I have been lucky with Alex. When I got him, there was only carpet in the bedrooms and no other dog was ever in there. Everything else was tiles. So bedrooms were off limit to him until he was completely housebroken. First I tried to train him to go outside. Never had a dog trained otherwise. But reading the forums and hearing about pee pads I thought it might be worth giving it a trial. So glad I did. Because trying for 3 weeks and more the outside and still having accidents, after putting down the pad in the laundry room, he was housebroken in 4 days. Now he has his toilet, I don't have to pay attention when he has to go, no need to get up at 6 am or in bad weather.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
:unsure: Laura When I took my puppies to puppy training classes the trainer said that a bedroom is a desirable place to potty because it isn't where their "social" life is. She thought they don't like to potty necessarily where they play with humans. Jeanne

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
i think they like to play mind games with us ...when i let mine out to potty they often come in and pee on the kitchen floor ?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Too much freedom and too little supervision.
When you add more space to freedom it must be 100% supervised. A good way to show a dog this new area is for play and not potty is to place hide and seek with food in the room. Once a dog is consistent with your supervision in a new area for 3 weeks minimum, you can try to reduce supervision.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
when it's raining outside, Archie will go pee in the bathroom.

:blink: well he almost has it right........

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have always had a habit of closing all the bedroom/bathroom doors in the house when we are not occupying them. Even before Delilah came along. Delilah has free roam of the kitchen/dining room, living-room and hallway. My house isn't exactly big 1500 sq ft. and its an open floor plan. But she has no other potty issues besides this and it isn't all the time either. I guess we just have to make sure all the doors are closed.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Or you could teach her those areas are also "her's" so she is housetrained in your whole house no matter what door gets left open.
Or you can get a gate that automatically closes behind you. They make quite a few these days. You wouldn't have to remember to close a door (or worry about your dog chewing on something potentially dangerous that one time the door got left open - and one of the most common things owners say when a dog comes in like this is either "they chew everything" or "they never chew anything" - don't give yourself a false sense of security).

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This is an issue for us when we go to my sister's house. For some reason, Jack loves to poop in her downstairs guest room! So the first thing I do when I arrive is close every door there is. I really think it's about the privacy too!

·
Registered
389 Posts
A trainer once told me that the dog considers a room that he doesn't use a toilet. I try to get my dogs familiar with every room in the house, eventually.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Too much freedom and too little supervision.
When you add more space to freedom it must be 100% supervised. A good way to show a dog this new area is for play and not potty is to place hide and seek with food in the room. Once a dog is consistent with your supervision in a new area for 3 weeks minimum, you can try to reduce supervision.
You are exactly right. Give a puppy too much space and they will sometimes not understand that the bedrooms are still part of their "den" so they will poop there.

Thinking that "they know better" or "they feel guilty" is anthropomorphizing. We all do it, but it's better that we don't try and put human traits on our dogs so we can truly understand their behavior.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
dolce has occasionally pooped under the boys bunkbeds, we know close the door. ive noticed he still cant have full run of the house because thats when he'll have an accident , other than that he is great ...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bella loves to poop on my white carpet in our bedroom.. She is usually downstairs where its all hardwood and marble flooring and no accidents, I was so happy thinking we potty trained her in less then a week... We take her out every hour ( I own my own company and Im home all day) and rewarded her so she does it outside with no accident inside untillllllllllll We let her in our bedroom or my office which is white carpet. I took my eyes off her for 3 mins and she lets it loose.. its my fault i dont punish her for it but I guess shes not fully potty trained....

We let her out every hour but she doesnt always go.... I wish I could train her into some how letting me know what she has to go... I pretty much learned how to potty train on this site using the crate method but she still seems to think carpet and grass are the same! :smpullhair:

Are puppies really considered potty trained if you dont give them a chance to go inside? I take her out every hour and no accidents inside....But if I let her out every 2 hours Im sure she'll go where she needs to.. SO thats really not housebroken right?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I had to keep all my bedroom doors closed and pick up our family room rug, so now it's all tile. He didn't fully get it until I did that. Since February, we have not had one accident...and the past month I've been leaving the bedroom doors open again. He goes to the door and sometimes will whimper or bark to go out, sometimes just stands there until noticed. He's in his crate at night and when we are out. It just makes life easier.
Hang in there...she'll get it.:Cute Malt: She's so cute and I love her name.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts