Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy All:

Poor Bacchus has been loosing weight for the last month or two, Thursday he was coughing and throwing up some bile. I said enough is enough and got him squeezed into the vet. They took blood and urine and informed me that he was anemic and going through kidney failure.

He has been at the vet since. They say he is eating great and only thrown up once. But the numbers are not where she would like them to be. She talked about kidney transplant 20k-30k$ or maybe living with under the skin injections. We are going to leave him a few more days to see if they can turn him around.

My questions are several. I guess if he stays anemic and with kidney problems how does one do the under the skin injections? Is this easy? Can someone explain. Also, what kind of quality life is Bacchus going to have? He is only 4.5 years old and I just never expected anything like this.

I really do not know what to do at this point. I know I have to wait a few more days for more information but any guidance would be appreciated. I write this with tears in my eyes. I really cannot face loosing him and when i look down and see his sister Bibi lying on the floor next to me I cannot help but wonder how she is taking all of this and what it would be like if she lost her brother.

Sorry for all the writing but any information and thoughts would be so very welcomed at this time.

This is such a terrible thing for a beloved pet to go through and I just want to lay down and cry thinking about it.

tony

UPDATE- 06-29-2010
Howdy Again All:

I hope you are fine.

We all went to visit Bacchus at the vet today. He had his IV hooked up and still looked like he was not feeling well.

We were given the following changes in numbers-
BUN was 107 on Thursday now at 188
PHOS was at 9.9 on Thursday now at 18.2
CREA was at 6.3 on Thursday now at 4.5

So she said he is going better but she still wants to see the CREA go down. We will talk with her on Thursday and go from there, she said we will be having to give him injections and we will work through whatever we can to make him happy.

Thank you all for your prayers and wishes, I truly think they are helping.

Best regards, tony

UPDATE 07-01-2010

Bacchus is not responding well, he is no longer eating on his own and is not getting any better.

We have made the decision with the Vet to end his misery as she sees him only getting worse. We have brought him home with us for the day and night to be with family. We will take him back tomorrow to bring him peace and then home to his back yard for final rest.

All of your thoughts and wishes are so welcome and I really am not sure what else to say. I am so **** SAD.

tony

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Oh no.

Words cannot express how very, very sorry I am that your sweet boy (and the whole family, of course) is undergoing this terribl ordeal. I am not familiar with the procedures you speak of, but I certainly want to offer our prayers and comfort for the severe difficulties you all are coping with. Please keep us in the loop and I am sure someone with more experince in this arena will post real soon. Hugs to you and your family.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Oh Tony - I'm so sorry. I know absolutely nothing about kidney disease but I wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. I'm sending thoughts and prayers that there will be a turnaround. I know others on this forum are very knowledgeable. Good luck and all your sweeties look so beautiful.:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I really don't know anything about kidney failure or his issues with the anemia. I can't give you any advice but I wanted to tell you how sorry I am. I'll be sending good thoughts and saying a prayer for Bacchus.
Please keep us updated.
Hugs to you and Bacchus.
:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I am so sorry that Bacchus is ill. :( I don't have any advice to offer either, but I am keeping you all in my prayers. Hugs,

Linda

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I'm so sorry you and Bacchus are going through this. Is there any chance of a kidney donation? 4.5 is so young. My Amy went through kidney failure but she was much older.
My heart aches for the days ahead for you.
If injections under the skin, sub cutanious,they're easy to do.If he can function with this form of treatment,you can do it at home. I give my own vaccinations,except for rabies and they barely know they're getting a shot.
I've also administered IV fluids subq and it wasn't hard.
Sometimes they can stav bilize them and you migh have to injuect or administer fluids as little as once per week,it's called a "restart" It restarts the kidney function and can last for weeks,maybe years,depends on what phase of kidney failure he's in.
This was my experience,Amy's kidney's restarted and did well for a couple years,then the incidents became more frequent until it was daily. Amy was 10 years old when she went into kidney failure and with treatment she lived 5.5 more years with good quality of life until she finally took a quick down turn. I did the daily treatments for 6 months until she wasn't responding,in the end we helped her to the bridge.

Talk to your vet and defiantely PM Dr.Jamie,as Bachus may have a different treatment regimine than my Amy.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry Tony.:( Little Bacchus is so young yet to have kidney failure. I hope & pray the vets can get him stablized & healthy again. I wish I could help,I feel so sad for you all to be going through this.:grouphug:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I am so sorry :grouphug: you must be beside yourself with worry. I am sorry I can't help except wish you and your little Bacchus well.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oh I am so sorry and I will be wishing the best for this little one. Do the vets know any info regarding how he got kidney problems? I hope he will be okay.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
:( I am so sorry that this is happening to poor Bacchus. I have no advice to give, but stay strong and I will keep you all in my thoughts!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
It's really easy to do subq fluids or shots. I find just petting to calm them,you can insert the needle and they barely know it. If you restrain them it actually can make them more scared. I find "less is better" in getting them to hold still for a proceedure. I have Al pet them and I just put it in.I've even done it alone,just pet them,and insert.
I hopejust once will help restart the kidneys,since he's a younger dog,it might be all that's needed for a while..
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I'm so sorry Bacchus has kidney problems! Know this is a terrible worry for you. I will be keeping you both in my prayers!

I've never had to do sub-Qs but did have to give Missy insulin injections 2 x day for several years. It was something I was terrified of at first and didn't think I could ...BUT her life depended upon it soooooo we do what we gotta do. Turns out it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and in fact became a 'non-issue' in a very short time.
I think the Sub-Q needles a larger but have known many owners having to do this and find it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
The big question is why he is in kidney failure. He is very young and a cause needs to be found. Have they ultra sounded his kidneys to see if they r shriveled or swollen? That will tell u if it is a slow progressive thing or something fast. He may have a defect, may have gotten into toxin, or bacterial disease like leapt. Many of these can be fixed, some may cause permanent damage. I would either get another opinion or per sue further diagnostics

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I'm so very sorry. My first thought was why is he in kidney failure? Like Dr. Jaimie said, if we know the why, that could change the recommended course of treatment.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
It could be so many things.A friend of mine's dog went into kidney failure due to tainted dry dog food. Another friend had a cat in kidney failure,because he got into some trash,you just never know. Odd since he's so young,generally it's in their later years their kidneys fail.
My Amy was healthy,overall,until old age caught up w/ the kidneys.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Howdy Again All:

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and wishes.

We went to see him yesterday. He was shaking, he gets nervous, but otherwise seemed good, his coat looked better and he had gained a little weight. He had IV stuff on his front leg and I just wanted to take him home and cuddle with him.

Thanks for all the good advice, it is important for us to find out why this is happening and of course to stop it. I will ask about additional diagnostics like an ultrasound tomorrow.

What a crappy weekend, I want Bacchus to be healthy, happy and home.

Best regards, tony

1 - 20 of 108 Posts