Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awwww. My poor Buttercloud got sick yesterday. Saturday he had his Dhpp, rabies and bordetella vacination. He seemed fine. I had chicken rice porridge so I gave both Cloud and Noriko some this weekend along w/their food. Last night he was on my bed being playful and cute as usual, until he started licking his nose like CRAZY! He wouldn't stop. Then he jumped off the bed and into his crate. I kept watching him. He did it for a couple of minutes. I got out of bed to pull out the pillow in his crate and sure enough he started to gag a little. It took a minute but he finally threw up. It was a whole meals worth of throw up! He threw up stomach bile this morning too.

Do you think it's because of all the vacs in him?

And what is it that causes them to lick exessively at their nose right before they throw up? Does it help them or is it purely natural? I don't remember him licking like this when he had an issue throwing up before.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Poor ButterCloud!
I have no idea. I don't remember Miko licking his nose before he throws up but it maybe an individual thing. Miko kind of staggers around and walks and then vomits...so I don't know

I hope he feels better!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww, hugs and kisses to him!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, Ya'll are quick! Thanks for the love!

I didn't call the doctor because he said there could be side effects within the nest 48 hrs. I'm watching him though. I'll be with him all day tomorrow. Before he use to make that gagging sound before he threw up. This time was unusual.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hope you feel better soon ButterCloud

Coco & I are thinking about you.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nichole--I was wondering about Toby and if he had the same issues. I guess I can feel less worried.

Thanks again you guys! Ya'll are so great!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Ohh...poor ButterCloud....your vet did the rabies and the other vacs. together? My vet said he wouldn't do both of them together because small breeds tend to get sick. He does the rabies first, wait a week and do the rest....and he doesn't charge me for the second office visit. Maybe it was just too much for poor Cloud. I hope he feels better soon.

-c

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I hope Buttercloud is fealing better. Maybe stress can make them do that ? I read somewhere that when they are licking air it's because they are stressed.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hope Cloud feels better soon.....is baby drinking anything?? Maybe call the vet and see if maybe a little NutriCal would be alright to try. At least it would be some energy for him.....

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The licking thing is often a sign of nausea before they vomit. Mikey will sit there and lick his lips when he's nauseous. Most vaccine reactions happen the same day, but it could certainly have been a combination of the vaccines and maybe the meal was a bit rich for him.

If your dog has a vaccine reaction, talk to your vet about pretreating with benadryl before the next vaccine. You can give the pill at home an hour before the appointment.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldnt call rice porridge w/chicken "rich." It's very bland. The only flavoring is the chicken.

What would benadryl to help him from throwing up or being nauseous?
I didnt call the vet because I knew someone will be home watching him all day and the vet told me most reactions happen the first 20 mins and some can happen up to 48 hrs later. Plus Nichole experienced almost the same thing. :/

Cloud never had any reactions to any of his vaccines. I don't think the Dr. would have given all the vaccines to him at once if that werent the case. :/ Plus he's 12.8 lbs!

Thanks for everything!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If he has a reaction to his vaccines, pretreating with benadryl, an antihistamine, will help prevent that from happening. Just like if you have an allergic reaction to cats, you take an antihistamine before you go to a friend's house if they have cats.

Most vaccine reactions happen within a few hours which is why I wondered if maybe it was the combination. If that's something he normally eats and is bland, then you know best.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts