Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She was spayed, had 4 baby teeth extracted, and had her rabies shot.

Her pre-op labs (baseline) showed Liver ALT enzymes is 167 (normal below 118).

Nothing to be too concerned with right now, her doc says we will re-check in one month.

They kept the 4 baby teeth for her album and she also got her rabies tag.

She was also prescribed amoxicillin and torbutrol for pain.

She has been fed dry kibble all her life so I stopped by Petsmart to get a couple of cans of Eukanuba Wet Puppy Food. She ate a little bit and then I put her on her bed to rest. She already peed on her mat as soon as we got home. She does not seem to be in pain but looks scared. I think she's just happy to be home with us. She stayed overnight at the doc's clinic.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Awww...Chloe looks exhausted in her pic. Glad to hear she's home now. :)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
aww . she does look tired , poor thing.. ok question this might be dumb , but are all the babies getting their teeth extracted by the vet when they get spayed or neutered?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aww . she does look tired , poor thing.. ok question this might be dumb , but are all the babies getting their teeth extracted by the vet when they get spayed or neutered?
It's just killing two birds with one stone. The four baby teeth are crowding her adult teeth and they needed to come out. I also believe firmly in spaying. She was also due for her rabies shot. So everything was done under one anesthesia and only one hospital night stay. Safer for the puppy and more economical for the Mommy. I didn't sleep last night already. I hate to think I would have to do this three separate times.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i understand! if all goes well dolce will be getting neutered on sunday. i hope ur baby girl recovers quickly !

·
Registered
707 Posts
When we had Bianca spayed, we picked her up the same night. I had the option of keeping her overnight or picking her up. I knew she would be scared to stay there. she was so terrified when I left her. I took her home, made her comfy on the sofa right next to me and I spent the night sleeping next to her on the sofa. I was afraid to put her in her bed in her pen - not that she wanted me to leave her. She did wet herself a couple of times because she couldn't stand on her back legs for a couple of days. She also threw up the first night so I'm glad I stayed with her.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Haley had to stay overnight also, when I picked her up from the vets she was soo happy to see me! She was hoarse and slept pretty much the whole day.
Cute Chloe is in my thoughts and prayers, give her a snuggle from me:wub:

·
Registered
183 Posts
There were a lot of big dogs at the hospital who also stayed overnight and all the barking must have terrified her. She was sooooo happy to see me this morning.
Awww...she's so cute! I just wanna hug her! :blush:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I'm very glad that she is home safe and sound! It seems like it was a big day for her yesterday but that she is happy to rest at home with her family. She really is adorable.

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
I'm glad Chloe is doing ok. It's awful for the Mommy to have to see them uncomfortable. She sure must have been scared all night with those big dogs. Poor girl.
On another topic, that is the most precious siggy I have ever seen! :wub: Give that cute baby kisses from me please.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
glad Chloe is ok. They look so pitiful you just want to hug them. What I don't understand is that they gave a rabbies shot at the same time. I know she was due but I question the wishdoom of doing it after surgery.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
She is so adorable. Hope she feels better real soon. Did they send you home with an elizabethian collar so she won't lick her wound? Mine was sent home with that collar and it remained on for several days.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Poor little Chloe. You really feel helpless when they go through this, but they do have amazing recuperative powers. The hardest thing is trying to keep them fairly non-active for 10 days since they want to run around and play way before. So you already have a onesie (siggie) which will help keep her from chewing on her stitches. I too am surprised they did the rabies shot at the same time as all this just in case of any reaction and wanting to know what it would be from. But glad all's well. Give her some kisses from Tyler and I.:wub::wub:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No stitches at all!

Poor little Chloe. You really feel helpless when they go through this, but they do have amazing recuperative powers. The hardest thing is trying to keep them fairly non-active for 10 days since they want to run around and play way before. So you already have a onesie (siggie) which will help keep her from chewing on her stitches. I too am surprised they did the rabies shot at the same time as all this just in case of any reaction and wanting to know what it would be from. But glad all's well. Give her some kisses from Tyler and I.:wub::wub:
Her doc said she used internal absorbable stitches, so there's not even a follow up visit for stitch removal.

She just had her first poop and it was a mess! Her stool is normally well formed like a tootsie roll. What came out was very soft and mushy and it stuck to all her butt hair. It took me half an hour to clean her up and trim all the hair around her anus.

All the time she was looking at me with that very sad, almost very embarrassed look. I told her "It's okay my baby girl" like a thousand times
while cleaning her up.

It really breaks my heart taking care of puppies and babies because they can't vocalize what's wrong.:smcry:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
MJ - I feel your pain. Tyler usually has the perfect stomach but the anesthesia really messed up his stomach and he had diarrhea for days. I felt so sorry for his poor little butt since I was endlessly washing it and he looked so sad. It might just pass with Chloe but if it goes on for a few days let your vet know. Tyler needed a med to clear it up since it was so inflamed and he also became dehydrated so watch that and have Nutrical on hand. Good luck. :wub::wub:

·
Registered
502 Posts
It really breaks my heart taking care of puppies and babies because they can't vocalize what's wrong.:smcry:
:smcry::smcry: I hate that feeling too so much seeing our little ones in pain but not sure exactly what to do to help ease it. When Sammy came home from from his trip to get neutered...hubby and i spent the night with him outside. He just curled up in his bed and slept between the 2 of us the whole night. I couldn't bare to leave him in his xpen alone.

Hope Chloe feels better soon. She's such a beautiful little baby. :wub::wub:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts