Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,
So, my little Teddy went in for surgery on Monday to have him neutered. I wanted to ask your opinion about this:
I asked the doctor when Kiki could come back home (Kiki is our female dog) they play very rough together and I didn't know when it would be OK to introduce them again, bc of his pain and his stitches. He said Wednesday (meaning yesterday). I'm here to say that there was no way we could have brought her home last night - he was STILL in a lot of pain. Today is better but he is forever trying to lick the sutured area and now it is all red, though he is on antibiotics so I'm not as worried about that. So my q's to you all is, when do you think I can introduce them again? When will he start feeling more like himself? And do you have any suggestions as to what I can do for him for pain (post pain medication?) He runs out tonight and I am sort of glad bc I think it keeps him dopey and makes me nervous! He's whimpering a LOT and not active in the evening since the surgery, only to hobble around and cry. So sad...

Your thoughts, as always, are greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Hes still in a lot of pain??? Kodie wasnt in that much pain at all. He was his old self even when i picked him up from the vet. umm.... i thought they said 1 or 2 weeks of no crazy playing.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Do you have a digital camera or a scanner? Both my babies were Nuetered/Spayed and they never cried. I'm curious to how it looks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Kodie@Feb 24 2005, 02:08 PM
Hes still in a lot of pain???  Kodie wasnt in that much pain at all.  He was his old self even when i picked him up from the vet.  umm.... i thought they said 1 or 2 weeks of no crazy playing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37481
[/QUOTE]

His pain has subsided but it's still aparant he doesn't want to be picked up or move a lot. Last night he was laying 1/2 way out of his crate sleeping - he NEVER does that. maybe his weird behavior is what is freaking me out? I would think 1-2 weeks too - or at least till the stitching comes out!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 24 2005, 02:12 PM
Do you have a digital camera or a scanner?  Both my babies were Nuetered/Spayed and they never cried.  I'm curious to how it looks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37484
[/QUOTE]

I was totally unaware of how it would look when he was done. In the old days, they just removed everything -- now they just removed the "goods" and leave the sac. (Not to be gross).
So his stitching is not in the area of removal, however up the shaft. I would never thought that was normal?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Well, I hope Teddy is doing well. He's suppose to be really confined at least for the next 7 days. You should be able to bring Kiki home as long as Teddy stays in the crate or confined from her.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Teddy7+Feb 24 2005, 01:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Feb 24 2005, 02:12 PM
Do you have a digital camera or a scanner?  Both my babies were Nuetered/Spayed and they never cried.  I'm curious to how it looks.
I was totally unaware of how it would look when he was done. In the old days, they just removed everything -- now they just removed the "goods" and leave the sac. (Not to be gross).
So his stitching is not in the area of removal, however up the shaft. I would never thought that was normal?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37487
[/B][/QUOTE]
yes thats normal..and the scrotum will shrink after a while and u wont see it. did u get any pain meds?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teddy7+Feb 24 2005, 01:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Feb 24 2005, 02:12 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37487
[/B][/QUOTE]

The area will get back to looking normal. The sac shrinks up and "goes away" over time.

I am perplexed at all the problems he is having. Catcher came home the afternoon after surgery and took pain medicine for 2 days. He was just fine. I kept him and Kallie from playing for the first week or so. I just kept Catcher in his playpen most of the time. After about a week they played as normal.

Catcher was one of the few dogs (per vet) that was bothered by the sensation of the internal stitches and tightness. He would not leave the incision area alone and he would walk a few steps and then stop to inspect that area to see what was going on. So, they put a Bite Not collar on him and it saved my sanity. Bite Not Collar Web Site
Here's a photo....

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie had stitches there too. The abnormal thing i dont understand is how much pain your baby is in... kodie didnt really mind anything. I could hold him and everything... like i said... he was back to his normal self when i picked him up after surgery. ummm... maybe not all vets give the pain medication shot... but kodie got that after/right when they were finished surgery and it worked WONDERS for him. I didnt have any medicine to give him when he came home.
Is it infected?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would call your vet that did the surgery and voice your concern about how much pain your dog is in. Then also ask him if you can give him baby asprin and how much of a dose you can give him. Fantasia was about to have 1/4 but I can't remember if it was asprin, motrin, or tylenol. I only remember it was for babies. Your vet will tell you what you can give him. Just don't give him more than the vet says you can!
I have a female so I can't help you anymore than that. I hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Feb 24 2005, 12:32 PM
Kodie had stitches there too.  The abnormal thing i dont understand is how much pain your baby is in...<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37497
[/QUOTE]
This is what's worrying me!

Originally posted by FannyMay@Feb 24 2005, 01:07 PM
I would call your vet that did the surgery and voice your concern about how much pain your dog is in.  Then also ask him if you can give him baby asprin and how much of a dose you can give him.  Fantasia was about to have 1/4 but I can't remember if it was asprin, motrin, or tylenol.  I only remember it was for babies.  Your vet will tell you what you can give him.  Just don't give him more than the vet says you can! 
I have a female so I can't help you anymore than that.  I hope he feels better soon.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37511
[/QUOTE]

Did they give you pain meds? If he still doesn't let you touch him, I can only assume that he's still hurt or aggrevated from the stitches. Maybe take a warm wet towel and pat him around that area.
XOXO's to Teddy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Feb 24 2005, 01:35 PM
Kallie/Catcher's Mom... is that safe for a dog thats only 3lbs?  Kodie's neck is very tiny.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37499
[/QUOTE]

You'll have to check with the vet to make sure it is OK but I don't see why not. The one Catcher used is actually the one for a cat, because at 6 months he was under 5 pounds and not really all that big either. It is an amazing contraption.... At the time I was using it, Catcher was very fussy and didn't like me messing with him or grooming, etc. but he would stand still for me to put on the Bite Not. He almost seemed to like it.... It does not choke them or anything... it is an amazing thing!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
As the others have reported from their experiences, that kind of pain after neutering is not normal. As with any surgery, once and awhile there can be complications or even errors made. I would call Teddy's vet and discuss his post op pain with him.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am SO sorry, I just had to laugh myself silly here.....that picture of Catcher with the No Bite collar on,,,,,,,,his little face says EVERYTHING. He is looking like "your the one that did this to me".....
Sorry.....it's just to cute!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 24 2005, 04:36 PM

I am SO sorry, I just had to laugh myself silly here.....that picture of Catcher with the No Bite collar on,,,,,,,,his little face says EVERYTHING.  He is looking like "your the one that did this to me".....

Sorry.....it's just to cute!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37544
[/QUOTE]

You gave me a good chuckle... I didn't even notice that before but you are right! Thanks for making me smile!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The pain medication itself could be making him act funky, but it really is not normal for him to have a lot of pain this far out with a routine neuter. I would be concerned. He needs some sort of e-collar or cervical collar to stop him from licking his incision.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts