Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Lucy (my daughter's maltipoo) climbed over the doggie gate this morning and pulled out a toenail!!! The blood splatters all over the livingroom/foyer/kitchen looked like the filming of a horror movie! She's not bleeding anymore but is still licking it and doesn't want it touched. I am also concerned about it getting infected since she pottys outside. Will be taking her to the vet this afternoon - maybe they can clean and wrap it. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Oh my gosh the poor baby! That must've hurt like the dickens. I hope things go well at the vets. Maybe try putting booties on her for the potty breaks, or alternatively, maybe get some widdle pads and put them right outside the door so she can step right onto it? I'm sure others will have better ideas than I do.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
OUCH!:shocked: Your daughter must have freaked out. Let us know what the vet says. Sending prayers for her recovery.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Ouch! That is so painful for them, hopefully the bet can patch her up nicely. Maybe even give her pain meds.

You might want to look into getting a different pet gate, the kind with vertical bars. I have one I got from Walmart that is tension mounted and has a gate you can open to walk through. I love it! There is no way for them to climb it even if they tried.

I hope she feels all better soon!

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
That happened to Amy our cocker and it bled like crazy. We put put some Neosporin on it,wrapped it w/gauge and "cling bandages" ,for a couple days...."cling" is the new Ace type bandage wrap that sticks on itself.

In winter we'd rewrap the foot and tape a plastic bag over the cling to let her potty. Then take it off and bandages to let the foot breathe.

We initially would bandage w/ Neosporin and change the dressing a couple times per day,for a day or two ,then take it off,then re-bandgage and plastic baggy only when she went outside,then take it off when she came in.Did that about 6 days total until it looked healed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the well wishes. Lucy is doing fine. Took her to the vet and the vet didn't do anything. She said to just try to stop her from licking it and not to let her go into dirt/flower beds for a few days. She says she sees this happen at least once a month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts