Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know how Pup is.
Poor Pup, he is really sick. His teeth have become very infected. ( the vet didn't want to put him under because of his heart condition) He has been on antibiotics for the teeth.
He has decided that Pup's heart is responding to the meds. and is ok to has his teeth clean. Blood was drawn to make sure, his kidney levels are off. Now we have to give him fluids under the skin for two weeks. ( it is a bag and tube like people get with iv) he is also on a stronger antibiotic. Hopefully this will help. Poor little guy has to lie still for about ten minutes while we stick him with the needle.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know how Pup is.
Poor Pup, he is really sick. His teeth have become very infected. ( the vet didn't want to put him under because of his heart condition) He has been on antibiotics for the teeth.
He has decided that Pup's heart is responding to the meds. and is ok to has his teeth clean. Blood was drawn to make sure, his kidney levels are off. Now we have to give him fluids under the skin for two weeks. ( it is a bag and tube like people get with iv) he is also on a stronger antibiotic. Hopefully this will help. Poor little guy has to lie still for about ten minutes while we stick him with the needle.
is he on clindamyacin antibiotic for teeth?

Ask vet about CoQ10 as that is suppose to help with gum disease. It also helps with heart.

How old is pup?

another thing you can ask about is chlorhexedine wipes as chlorhexedine kills bacteria in the mouth so you can wipe his gum line to kill the bacteria in his mouth as well. They sell them at drs foster and smith

Pet Dental Care: Drs. Foster & Smith Dental Clens® Pads for Dogs

was the creatinine high or bun high or both and was urine checked for kidney issues? Does vet think antibiotic or heart med affected the kidney values or infection from teeth or all of the above? Were kidney values normal before the antibiotics and heart meds if so probably not the teeth if they were bad before.

are there loose teeth?

You may want to look into non-anesthetic dental as you have alot going on there with heart and kidneys to put your little one under. If loose teeth you are kind of stuck as non-anesthetic dentals usually will not pull teeth. There is controversy over it and it not getting under the gum line etc but with a dog having issues it may be worth asking vet if this is a better way since your dog is on antibiotics as well.

Here is some info on it

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Mary Beth I'll be thinking and praying for Pup. Poor sweet baby. Breaks my heart to hear that he is having such a hard time.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
I'm so sorry you and Pup are going through this. I'm sending prayers that he'll be fine and all will go well with his health and his cleaning.:grouphug:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is he on clindamyacin antibiotic for teeth?

Ask vet about CoQ10 as that is suppose to help with gum disease. It also helps with heart.

How old is pup?

another thing you can ask about is chlorhexedine wipes as chlorhexedine kills bacteria in the mouth so you can wipe his gum line to kill the bacteria in his mouth as well. They sell them at drs foster and smith

Pet Dental Care: Drs. Foster & Smith Dental Clens® Pads for Dogs

was the creatinine high or bun high or both and was urine checked for kidney issues? Does vet think antibiotic or heart med affected the kidney values or infection from teeth or all of the above? Were kidney values normal before the antibiotics and heart meds if so probably not the teeth if they were bad before.

are there loose teeth?

You may want to look into non-anesthetic dental as you have alot going on there with heart and kidneys to put your little one under. If loose teeth you are kind of stuck as non-anesthetic dentals usually will not pull teeth. There is controversy over it and it not getting under the gum line etc but with a dog having issues it may be worth asking vet if this is a better way since your dog is on antibiotics as well.

Here is some info on it

YouTube - Dog Teeth Cleaning without Anesthesia
thanks, i will check into this info

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
They (Vets) will often give a fluff or a (cat) Subcutaneous fluids
To prevent dehydration - the good thing is - if his values are low - the hydration will bring his values (numbers) up very quickly.

If he's not drinking - and the vet tells you that it is O.K. to give him plain chicken brooth (that you make yourself, by boiling boneless, skinless chicken breasts' in water, you could add cooked carrots and sweet potatoes, which would be nice and soft for the little guys gums) - my fluffs have always loved it.

Best of luck to you and your baby.

Allie

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am so sorry Mr. Pup is feeling so badly. :( I had to give sub Q fluids as you are doing but for my cat when she was suffering from pancreatitis. :( Its difficult sometimes especially when they don't want to sit still for the treatment. I hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
My Amy was so old she couldn't go under for teeth cleanings. I used a hard plastic dental tool like this one it helped pop off the tarter. It helps a lot to keep that tarter down.
I hope something like that works fo Pup,I also use dental pads,they're slightly abrasive to clean their teeth. I hope you can get Pup through this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts