Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I could really do with some advice please. Mya has blocked tear ducts were quite bad again last week so I took her to the vet on Saturday morning and she got some more antibiotic eye drops. She started them on Saturday night. On Monday afternoon she had a little but of an upset tummy and again on thursday. Nothing too bad, but softer than usual and a little jelly like. Shes been eating and playing fine though so wasn’t too worried. I thought this might be down to the antibiotics as I think when she had them before her bowel movements were a bit softer.
Today she had a bad tummy again and at 5pm was sick. Horrible yellow bile stuff. I cleaned her all up and she seemed ok but tonight shes been very sick again and is just not herself. She also hasn’t eaten, only one bite of her food in the morning. Shes just standing around with her little tail and her head down and look sooooo sad. When she does get up she just seems to wonder around in a circle and then sit down again. Its really not like her. Ive tried her with some food but shes not interested and I also tried her with doggy milk as I know the vet said when bellas got an upset tummy due to her colitis its better than nothing with all the vitamins etc but mya wouldn’t touch it either. Im trying to get her to drink so she doesn’t get dehydrated but the water bowls not gone down much.
Obviously if shes still like this tomorrow I will phone the vet and make an appointment but does anyone know hwat I can do in the mean time? (its 21:10 here which is why ive not called the vet yet!)

Any ideas welcome
Thanks guys xxx

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Syringe her some water if she's not drinking enough. You don't want her to get dehydrated. Also, if you have some Nutrical or something like it, you can give that every few hours until you get her to the vet. Sounds like the antibiotic is doing a job on her digestive track.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
You might want to try to give her pedialyte like you would a baby. We use either the flavored or the non flavored. It will help keep fluids in her. If she will not eat or drink you will need to use a syringe and just give it to her. We have never had any luck with the doggy milk but will use goats milk which you can find at the dairy section at the grocery store. It is very high in fat and the puppies and dogs alike seem to lap it right up. How much does she weigh? Be very careful if she is a small Maltese they can go into hypoclycemia very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Poor baby, I hope she feels better soon! I keep Nurta-Cal and Pet-a-lyte home page on hand. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi girls

Just to let you know that Mya seems fine again today,thank goodness! I was sooo worrried, ive never seen her that sick before and i think the fact that the other 2 were so worried about her too wasnt helping! I manged to get some water into her last night before bed and this morning she was a bit brighter so i decided to wait till afternoon until i decided about the vet. Shes totally back to normal now though - so i dont think we will go.

Right now she has just had soem food and is jumping on floees head and hanging off her beard! Shes also taken every toy she owns out into the middle of the room (juat after me doing the house work!) and has shredded a toilet roll tube all the way down the stairs... so erm yes...back to her normal cheeky self lol :) xxx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.