Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

I'm quicky writing this as I have to get to an appointment so please ignor any spelling errors or grammer.

Chelsey has been tained to go Out side and In side. Mind you we are still trainig her . this month she is 6 months old.

She will pee out side and then come back inside and Poo in her crate. I don't know why she does it. She has peed in her cate before but is getting better as going out side or on the Wizdog. she will even let you know that she did it by a little yelp or wine to come an clean it up ... like now.

I have told her now and showed her the poop in her crate... and then said go potty out side and put her and the poop out side. Did not seem to help at all. Even if we take her out for a long time she will still poo in her crate..

Help please. and thank you...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
How about feeding her in her crate too...that way she'll associate it with being her place to eat and sleep, and hopefully not poop. Is she on a regular feeding schedule? My pup goes poop right after eating...once in am, once in pm. Good luck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How big is her crate? If it is too big, she will sleep on one side and poo on the other. If it is too big, perhaps you could divide it some way so that she doesn't have room to poo!! My crate came with a divider that I adjusted as Jack go bigger. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you know she has to poop at that time, leash her to you when you come in and take her back out in 5 minutes to go. If she shows signs of needing to go earlier, take her out. I agree with the fact that her crate may be too big. The more times you prevent an accident, the more reliable she will become.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 11 2005, 04:32 PM
If you know she has to poop at that time, leash her to you when you come in and take her back out in 5 minutes to go. If she shows signs of needing to go earlier, take her out. I agree with the fact that her crate may be too big. The more times you prevent an accident, the more reliable she will become.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34869
[/QUOTE]

Hi everyone, this is why I'm stomped as to why she is doing this.
Her crate is the smallest size so she has just enough room to hold her bowl with food andcurl up in to a ball, but she does not do that.

She eat in her crate as well because we feed both her and chester two differnt foods so we have to feed them in there crate.

What I noticed that she does, is she will just stand there and pooso it lands at the back of the crate. She does not make any noise until after she is done.
and the poo is right behind her at the back edge of the crate. I take her out 15 min after she eats . and she goes potty out side or wee wee pad if it rains. Then like 10 to 20 or 30 min she will go and poo in her cate. It's like she will hold it until she is back in her cate.

When she was yonger she would just poo anywhere and we would catch her and put her outside and say go potty. She even used the wiz dog very well if we have them in the play pen, but we had to brake it down to make room for the guess. use of the living room.

from the time we have gotten chelesy she has never pooed outside.
ther is no more room in the creat to make it smaller or her noise would be pressed up teo the gate

so I don't know what to do..

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I wonder if the scent of the stools is in the crate? I think that perhaps she thinks this is where she is supposed to go. Somehow you need her to go where she should go so you can praise her to high heaven and give her a treat. Just give her the opportunity to get it right as much as you can and make sure the crate doesn't smell like poo!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Feb 11 2005, 05:09 PM
I wonder if the scent of the stools is in the crate? I think that perhaps she thinks this is where she is supposed to go. Somehow you need her to go where she should go so you can praise her to high heaven and give her a treat.  Just give her the opportunity to get it right as much as you can and make sure the crate doesn't smell like poo!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34893
[/QUOTE]

Hi We also wipe it out with hat miricle pet oder stuff.

I will put her on a leash like suggested.
I wish she would poo outside once so I could prise her..

I thought yesterday was a good day as she did not poo in there at all.. then i prised her and gave treats and she did it again this morning..
That's why i wrote this email..

Anyway I'm gonna clean out her crate really good now and put her on a leash.. while we are in the home... she's not gonna like it one bit

Thanks everyone ,I will try all your suggestions and keep you posted

oh buy the way I got a flat tire on my way to my appointment , What a day!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She did it again and this time right after she ate. I could not even get her out side.

I think I will have to get her a cat crate
I'm getting so frusted.
She is such a good puppy.. this is the only issuse....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Here's an idea.... next time she has a bowel movement in her crate, take it and put it outside. Then when you take her outside to "go" she will see and smell the BM and maybe it will let her know that that is where she is supposed to go.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I went to petsmart and got a smaller creat mind you it is olny smaller by a few inches... It's the smallest cat crate they had. Chelsey is very happy with it.
so far so good. Let see how tomorrow goes... The lady at petsmart said we may just have to close her crate or take it away. If she continues to do it... She said some dogs just don't mind messing were they sleep and eat
why....

I hope we can correct the issue. crossing fingres.
oh P.S had her on a leash all day. I thinks she is getting better with the come command.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far so good, She made it through the nigntb

I will let them out before I leave for my appointment ... I hope she can old it until I return... cross fingers.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm glad to hear that your little one is doing better. Maybe the original crate was too large only by those few inches. I also agree with taking the stool and placing it where you want her to "go potty". Have you tried offering a training treat (soft treat) when she does go outside? I carry a few in my jacket pockets so I can "treat" our pup as soon as she goes. I give her the treat then I scoop up the poop. My kids think this is extremely funny, because they call her treat "M&M's for BM's". That's what they got when they were potty training. If they went potty in the toilet, they got a couple of m&m's. Of course the dog doesn't get m&m's...she gets BilJack Liver treats.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by saltymalty@Feb 14 2005, 11:20 AM
I'm glad to hear that your little one is doing better.  Maybe the original crate was too large only by those few inches.  I also agree with taking the stool and placing it where you want her to "go potty".  Have you tried offering a training treat (soft treat) when she does go outside?  I carry a few in my jacket pockets so I can "treat" our pup as soon as she goes.  I give her the treat then I scoop up the poop.  My kids think this is extremely funny, because they call her treat "M&M's for BM's".  That's what they got when they were potty training.  If they went potty in the toilet, they got a couple of m&m's.  Of course the dog doesn't get m&m's...she gets BilJack Liver treats.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35230
[/QUOTE]

That , so cute,

Unfortunetly, chelsey did go in the new crate again. I went to take them out before my appointment and she had like 6 poops in there.
I'm thinking she did it after my husband brought them back in this morning. I went down and hour later. She did make it though the night so I can smile about that. I have had her with me all day since I came back... I caught her just as he was going have an accident pooping and took her outside and nothing...
I don't know what to do.. I really think she is holding it in until she goes back in her cate again
right now she is sleeping next to me..

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Feb 14 2005, 06:10 PM
Unfortunetly, chelsey did go in the new crate again.  I went to take them out before my appointment and she had like 6 poops in there.
  I'm thinking she did it after my husband brought them back in this morning.  I went down and hour later.  She did make it though the night so I can smile about that.  I have had her with me all day since I came back...  I caught her just as he was going have an accident pooping and took her outside and nothing...
  I don't know what to do.. I really think she is holding it in until she goes back in her cate again 
  right now she is sleeping next to me..
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35400
[/QUOTE]

She is now in the habit of going in her crate. Take some of the BM out of the crate and put it outside. If you can just get her to "go" in the correct place so you can give her a treat and praise her and she will know where is she supposed to "go". She doesn't know she isn't supposed to go in the crate.

When Kallie was a puppy I had a similar problem (BTW she was a year old before she was trained 100%). She was extremely stubborn. I have pads in the laundry room and every day when I came home for lunch I would go to that room first. We'd stay in there a few minutes and I would tell her to "hurry up" on her pad. Nothing. Then I'd leave the room with her and she'd go on the carpet.

So, I decided I would not leave the laundry room until she went. Sometimes I'd eat my lunch in there and stay the whole hour in that room. She would eventually go.... usually if I turned my back to her and acted like I was doing something else... then she'd go. You may need to stay outside a very long time!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well We have made some progress, none in the poop area.
chelsey has been going on the Wizdog on command now. yippy.
Also she has been scratching on the crate when she needs to go out.
I have put a box in the back to make the crate smaller. she stated to sred it... even put the bitter apple on it. that stuff effected me more then her. I sware she love it she was biting that box all night... and i gave her a bone to keep ther ocupied.

Anyway I still have not caught her before she poos in the crate. She still has not pooped out side or on the Wizdog/ wee pad.

But at least her potty training is getting better.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SHE DID IT !!!

Chelsey finally pooed on the wizdog .

The other day i went to the dentist and the receptionist has her puppy there. I told her about my/chelsey issue and she told me to change her feeding time to night time. So I can catch her in the day pooing. So I changed it this week as well as her food to. SHe is not on royal cain. Anyway she id do a numbe in her crat so i put the poo on the wizdog. Then last night at 9:00 I told her to go potty , be good girl and go potty.
she did it right away.. we were so exstatic.
:D . We gave her treats and lots of hugs and kisses... I guess with all the excitment ... , then she peed on the floor

oh well you can't win them all.

Thank you for all your help.. I'm sure we still have a long way to go untill she stops pooing in her crate.

Anyway at least she went... And now we are off in a good direction

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yay Chelsey!!! Thats great that you got the chance to praise her finally!

Originally posted by Chelsey@Feb 24 2005, 12:12 PM
  I guess with all the excitment ... , then she peed on the floor

oh well you can't win them all.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37453
[/QUOTE]

how funny :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts