Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
That is a great article..
I have no doubt in my mind that Missy became diabetic because of the fact we "indulged" her and she was considerably overweight at diagnosis. She was 12+ pounds.. her "ideal" weight for her bone structure is what she is now down to which is 9.5 pounds. Doesn't sound terrible .. BUT.. think of those extra pounds in terms of overall % of body weight and it is certainly a lot for a little dog. We were catually 'killing her with kindness".
The result is she has to have insulin injections 2 x day ( there is not pill for canine diabetic).. it is only treated with injections a 2 x day for treatment.
Yes, it is "manageable" but any little thing can throw things off.. it also causes them to be more suseptible to diseases due to the compromised immune system.
Please everyone.. watch the weight and if you get "tempted" to give into those "eyes.. and "that'look".. just envision one day down the road your vet teling you your baby has diabetes and the only way to treat is YOU having to give a needle into that little body 2 times every day for the rest of your babies life. ( This is not even mentionion the diligent monitoring.. the having to keep consistant schedules.. etc etc..
As the old saying goes.. "if I only knew then what I know now" certainly is a common phrase I use.
There ARE healthy treats that you can give which can allow you to "indulge".. but just do your homework and also keep a vry close eye on that weight!
God bless all the little ones..
Terry and Missy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Terry, knowing what you and Lady's Mom go through with your little ones has made me much better at watching Kallie's and Catcher's weight. Kallie was getting close to 11 pounds and now she is about 9. It took many months for the weight to come off but now she is quite lean.

It is indeed hard to resist those pleas for food. I've started holding out kibble from their food and giving it as treats and they like it all the same and don't seem to notice the difference. I had run out of their treats and now I'm going to not even buy them any more.

Catcher loves green beans so I use those also for him. Kallie won't eat them at all, though.

Thanks for sharing your information with us!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny has been on a serious diet after my little opps reading the bag (i was feeding him enough for a 60-80lbs dog his age) he has lost almost a pound since then though so i am not so worried

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Mar 25 2005, 04:53 PM
Sunny has been on a serious diet after my little opps reading the bag (i was feeding him enough for a 60-80lbs dog his age) he has lost almost a pound since then though so i am not so worried
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46319
[/QUOTE]

That is A LOT!
Glad you caught it!!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Mar 25 2005, 04:53 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46319
[/QUOTE]

and he ATE all that? lol you are so funny. Glad you figured it out and hes ok

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
aaaaaaawwwwww Sunny's a little chubber
That's so funny you were feeding him so much.

Interesting article, I saved it in my favorites. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts