Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took London back into the vet for a checkup on how her nail bed infection was doing after being on a low dose antibiotic for 1 month straight. It seemed to be fine now, but I mentioned that London licks all of her paws now (but favors the one that had the infection), and also licks her front arms sometimes now. On top of that, her tear staining came back full force when she got her infection (she was all cleared up) and I haven't been able to get it under control. Her saliva also started staining her fur where she licks.

Her vet thinks she may have underlying allergies (environmental) so she is trying London on a 1x daily dose of Hydroxyzine for 2 weeks to see if London appears to get some relief from it. Is a once a day dose of this enough? I tried researching it online a little, and it seemed like most had to give it 2-3x per day. Would Benedryl or something similar work just as well (but cost less) if it does turn out to be allergies?

I don't want anything to be wrong with London, but I really hope it's just allergies...that is so easy to keep under control. She loves getting pills...loves to chew them up herself. :unsure::HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't want to scare you but allergies are not easy to control. Hydroxyzine is a antihistamine. I have used it on my late lhasa who was full of allergies and it did not help much. I hope it's not allergies and if they are that they are only seasonal.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Hydroxyzine should be dosed every 8-12 hours. It won't last for 24 hours. It is certainly worth a try.
Benadryl is not effective for most dogs at controlling these type of allergy symptoms.
I have had a lot of luck using Zyrtec. Chlorpheniramine is another antihistamine to try. Just like with people, you may have to try a few to find one that is effective.
One really simple thing to do is wipe her paws and body down every time she comes in from outside. A clean wet cloth (new one each time) or hypoallergenic baby wipe will work. Dogs groom themselves and then not only breathe in allergens outdoors, but ingest them.
For the feet in particular, lathering up with a shampoo like this DermaPet: Innovative Products, Developed by a Veterinarian, for Veterinarians
and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinsing a few times a week can really help.
If you use any scented products in your home (laundry detergent, carpet powder, air fragrances), stop. Those are very common allergens.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hydroxyzine should be dosed every 8-12 hours. It won't last for 24 hours. It is certainly worth a try.
Benadryl is not effective for most dogs at controlling these type of allergy symptoms.
I have had a lot of luck using Zyrtec. Chlorpheniramine is another antihistamine to try. Just like with people, you may have to try a few to find one that is effective.
One really simple thing to do is wipe her paws and body down every time she comes in from outside. A clean wet cloth (new one each time) or hypoallergenic baby wipe will work. Dogs groom themselves and then not only breathe in allergens outdoors, but ingest them.
For the feet in particular, lathering up with a shampoo like this DermaPet: Innovative Products, Developed by a Veterinarian, for Veterinarians
and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinsing a few times a week can really help.
If you use any scented products in your home (laundry detergent, carpet powder, air fragrances), stop. Those are very common allergens.
Thank you so much for that info -- I will be making a call to the vet in the morning to ask why she is only dosed to take 1 of the 10mg pills per day. I don't want to be giving it to her if it's not going to be effective based on a non-frequent dosage...

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I don't want to scare you but allergies are not easy to control. Hydroxyzine is a antihistamine. I have used it on my late lhasa who was full of allergies and it did not help much. I hope it's not allergies and if they are that they are only seasonal.
I agree with Janine, allergies are really difficult to control. I also hope its not allergies! Good luck with your little one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.