Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my guy in the yard with me today. This evening, while brushing him, I noticed 3-4 red spots on his belly/chest area. I called the after hours vet. The receptionist said they have been getting a lot of calls about these spots, which are caused by black flies. She asked me to email pictures for her to show the vet. I will call his regular vet in the morning. Meanwhile, has anyone had this issue before?
Eyelash Jaw Grey Wood Whiskers Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers Magenta Plant

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,995 Posts
New one on me. I live in the tick capital of the world and because of the mild winter and abundance of acorns (yes that is a thing), it is a banner year for ticks.

I hope he isn't in pain. If you find out more about these black flies biting dogs, let us know what to look out for.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Walter. Yeah, I'm in CT, so ground zero for Lyme ticks. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, very playful. I know these black flies bite me, but I never noticed a reaction on my previous dogs, probably because they were not white and they had undercoats. The vet did say they have been getting a lot of calls like mine.
It is a little difficult to get a good look on this squirmy guy's belly, but the areas seem better already after using a little gold bond powder, as suggested by the vet.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,995 Posts
Thanks Walter. Yeah, I'm in CT, so ground zero for Lyme ticks. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, very playful. I know these black flies bite me, but I never noticed a reaction on my previous dogs, probably because they were not white and they had undercoats. The vet did say they have been getting a lot of calls like mine.
It is a little difficult to get a good look on this squirmy guy's belly, but the areas seem better already after using a little gold bond powder, as suggested by the vet.
Thanks, I am just north of you. I is good to know about gold powder - great to know it is safe for dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts