Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any one else had problems with their malts eating potting soil? Baby Gizmo will stick his tongue in the dirt and then eat it. He doesn't eat a lot but I worry if it will make him sick? :excl:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't know about potting soil, but I do know that sometimes
when I take Cosmo out to go potty he will dig for worms, yuck
how gross is that?

Needless to say now anytime his nose is in the dirt I have to get him
away from there.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Yes!! Catcher would not leave the soil from my ficus tree alone. Every time he was out of my sight, he would somehow get the dirt out and have it all over his face and all over the carpet. He was drawn to it for some reason.

But lately he has not been doing that. Sometimes, I think they get in the habit of doing something and just keep doing it. I've been keeping an eye on him more and I'm hoping this habit is broken.

I, too, wondered if it was bad for them. I wouldn't think it would be good though as there are often fertilizers, etc. in the soil.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Oct 18 2005, 10:38 AM
Yes!! Catcher would not leave the soil from my ficus tree alone. Every time he was out of my sight, he would somehow get the dirt out and have it all over his face and all over the carpet. He was drawn to it for some reason.

But lately he has not been doing that. Sometimes, I think they get in the habit of doing something and just keep doing it. I've been keeping an eye on him more and I'm hoping this habit is broken.

I, too, wondered if it was bad for them. I wouldn't think it would be good though as there are often fertilizers, etc. in the soil.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110883
[/QUOTE]

Yes I would be keeping it out of reach myself, as you say K/C there are fertalizers and other chemicals in it that could actually poison your babies. We have all house plants way out of Scooby's reach.
Often too there are small bits of polystyrine in the soil for moisture retention and that is very bad and highly toxic if eaten.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Bijou tries to eat fall leaves from the trees. He has thrown one up that I didn't get out of his mouth in time. This will be a real challenge at this time of the year. Isn't it funny that we are all concerned about feeding them quality food and they are trying to eat dirt and leaves.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Oct 18 2005, 01:10 PM
Bijou tries to eat fall leaves from the trees.  He has thrown one up that I didn't get out of his mouth in time. This will be a real challenge at this time of the year.  Isn't it funny that we are all concerned about feeding them quality food and they are trying to eat dirt and leaves. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110920
[/QUOTE]
Peanut is the same way! He'll pull the leaves right off of whatever bush or plant he can reach...be careful though because there are lots of plants that are poisonous to our babies.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, to all of you. I just finally got tired of cleaning up the soil and washing his face. I think I found out why is because of the moisture in the soil. I put it up on the table where he can't reach it. No more problems! I have a mother-in-law's tongue that he never bothers and I guess it is because I have 2 little frog feeders that I put water in to feed it. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Malts don't eat soil but my Shih Tzu does! I finally figured out why she was doing this. In April Shasha had kidney stones removed. After they were analyized we found out that they contained phospheros. She was put on a special diet without this minieral. Well dirt and soil contains alot of phospherus. since she was not getting that anymore cause of the stones, she was trying to make up for it. So now I have to watch her when she goes out or else she will come back with the tell tale sign of a dirty beard! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts