Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, not a lot of us like to admit our Malts go potty all over the house no matter how well we think they are trained, so truth or truth, haha, no option huh? so lets get personal and hear the stats

Sampson: will let his bladder explode before he pees in the house, i honestly cant remember the last time he did, once every 4-6 weeks maybe will poo

Maggie: she is the smallest of the three and her bladder will prove it, the size of a quarter i think but she holds it for 5-6 hours tops, she'll make it 8 hours through the night, she will not go in the house if we are here, but be gone for any real period of time and she lets you know it

Lizzie: we are still figuring out Lizzie, she holds her pee longer than any animal or human i know, she pees about 3 times a day (although we are getting closer to 5 times a day now), sometimes holding it for 8-10 hours easy, in two months i would say she has peed in the house 3-4 times and honestly those are from trying to figure out her "schedule"

Luckily we have a series of gates dependant upon who is here or not and only one carpeted room in the house, the rest are hardwood floors, the kitchen and bathroom are tile so cleanup is easy, maybe a weird subject but i'm just wondering what others experience ?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Truthfully in the last 2 years (Miko is 2.5 yrs old), Miko has had 3 accidents ALL of which where after his knees surgery and he could not walk and they occured after he held in his pee for over 36 hrs (I kid you not). He is 7 lbs and apprently has a huge bladder and almost did explode but could not walk after surgery so he had 3 accidents and felt soooo bad about them!!!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by okw@Oct 6 2005, 12:40 AM
and he could not walk and they occured after he held in his pee for over 36 hrs (I kid you not). 
wow, thats crazy! Samspon "tells" me he has to go buy barking at me or scratching on my leg, Lizzie tells us she has to go by "sniffing" the floor, not just once but consecutively(sp) for about a minute, Maggie, little Maggie, she has no signs at all, really, in three years i havent picked up on the first one, she just goes when you let her out

·
Registered
552 Posts
Baby Gizmo is pretty good about holding his pee. But today I put him in his crate for a couple of hours while I had to go to a meeting and when I came back he was soak and wet. I think it might have been something he ate this morning that he shouldn't have. There was a bowl of spanish rice on the table that my son made and it was full of hot sauce. I don't understand why he eats everything he can get a hold of because I keep his bowl full all the time and lots of water. He scared my son to death because he lost his breath and peed all over him when he picked him up. The vet told me that it would just upset his stomach and to give him a little Pepto. Not to be gross but when he went to potty tonight he pooped nothing but rice and has rubbed his butt a couple of times. For some reason I can't make my 17 year old understand not to leave food where he can reach it. I belive that this morning may have scared him enough to where he will pay attention from now on.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Wally can hold his pee for 15 hours--no problem.

Toby is another story. A few months back I had a cold and was in bed. He stayed in bed with me for 10 hours and was fine. Therefore, I know he can hold it. However, if I leave him gated in the kitchen to run to the store (I take him out to pee before I leave) I come home to find 1-2 pees in the kitchen. Mind you I have only been gone 2 hours at most! I really think he does them on purpose or he gets so upset that I have left he just loses control.

As for pooping, if I can get him to poop in the morning, he is fine for the rest of the day, but heaven help me if he doesn't! He'll [email protected] where ever he pleases in the house.

I will admit he has been really good lately and we haven't had any accidents, of any type, in the house for over two months.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mia has not had any accidents since she figured out what the puppy potty was for. She will stop dead on her tracks wherever she is and run to the laundry room to do her business on top of the tray/grid. If we go out she will go potty as a precaution. Bowel movements are either in the morning but if she feels the urge earlier if I am doing something in the kitchen, there is no worry... again she will do it on the grid.

Lucky can and will hold it forever if he wants to. It has only been a week without what I consider revenge urination/accident?. My husband had him and Mia outside for an hour and he waits till he is home to pee on the kitchen floor. We are back-training him to the tray/grid puppy potty in the laundry room. So far he will go poop there if I am home and as a way of looking at me that wants me to go to the laundry and let him know what a good boy he is. We are making progress in that he will go to the laundry room and if I am home he will not have accidents. Yesterday I was gone all day and I left both dogs in the kitchen with access to the laundry room. To his credit he even tried to do his pee in the grid but being a boy he missed and some was out of the tray... but hey! That is progress for him. He will wait till you take him out.

I trust Mia anywhere but Lucky is not 100% trustworthy yet.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley very rarely has a wee-wee accident.
He WILL pee on stray blankets/throws that we use on the couch and stuff if the kids leave them laying on the floor. The problem with that (beware-gross) is that we often don't know it until we attempt to cuddle with the blanket on the couch and then we SMELL the pee!
I guess he is trying to tell us that doesn't belong there.

Brink will have poo accidents....and sometimes they are "purposes"....

Brink marks by pooing...he makes statements by poooing...he LOVES to sneak in and poo in the kids' rooms b/c he is not allowed in those places.

He also poo's in the floor sometimes if his wee pad doesn't have enough "traveling" room. This has been some better since I put the "cat grates" on top of the pads so that he doesn't actually walk in the wee spots when he travels.

Both of our big dogs were AWFUL to try and potty-train in the house...I don't think either one of them wanted to or cared....in my other post I told how our lab would pee in her crate and sleep/lay in it. Brink was different. He caught on quickly....

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Abbey always seems to have to go every 2-3 hours. But Abbey is only 9 months old. It's funny 'cause she'll hold it 4-5 hours if we have to leave for the day! :new_Eyecrazy: But keep a close eye on her if it rains 'cause she ain't gone out there!!
Still trying to work on this one - but I can't seem to get her to use the pee pads when we're home - she'll only use them when we leave her in the bathroom when we're gone for more than 5 hours.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have not been able to figure out Tucker. We have an x-pen for him to play, eat and run around in during the day. He is in the same room as hubby's office so hubby is almost always in the same room with Tucker. Tucker also has his small sleeping crate in the same room.

Here is the problem. Tucker did ring a bell when he wanted to go out. It worked for sometime. One day when hubby was out of the room the bell rang and Tucker was standing in pee. We have watched as Tucker pee's then rings the bell. NO MORE BELL.

He will pee at least twice a day in his xpen and once in awhile will poo in there. We can take him out and he won't go and bring him in and he will go.

Now here it the clincher. We had an all day trip. My mother came up several times during the day to take him out. He NEVER peed or Pood from early morning until 5:00 pm. He finally did pee at 5:15 on the pee pad she took him to.

That shows he can hold it. We think he does his business to punish us for leaving the room. This is the only room in the house that will work for an xpen and crate.

ANY IDEAS??????

·
Registered
513 Posts
Gracie - never pees or poos in the house except when she had a bladder infection 6 months ago. Then she was peeing every hour it seemed. I'd say she's been accident free for the past couple of years. She can go 8+ hours without having to go out.

Will pees only twice a day, maybe 3 times if I stand over him with treats. He can hold it forever. But when he goes, he goes for it seems like 5 minutes. He also has been great for the past 2 years or so. However, if he has eaten something that doesn't agree with him, and he gets diarrea, he will poo in the house, usually overnight when we are sleeping. But again, I consider this to be accident since he has diarrea and we all know when that strikes, you need to go right then and there.

Little Brie is another story. She's 1 and if she doesn't go poo first thing in the mornig she for sure will wander into some carpeted bedroom and go. Brie hates the wet grass (as does Will) so she only steps on it if she absolutely has to. I have to stand outside with them or they would just turn around and go up on our deck without doing anything. I watch her like a hawk in the morning, putting her out 3-4 times until she goes, but if I have to go out somewhere, sure enough I'll find a little parcel when I get home.She never pees in the house thank goodness. She pees alot, I guess because her bladder is small, I'd say she can only hold it about 5 hours in the day, but holds it all night for about 8 hours.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chelsey has been so good lately . I let her out of her crate during the day, while I work from home. She will use the wizdog # 1 and #2... She will just sit a play with her stuffy. Chelsey can now hold it for 8 hours in her crate ,that is #1 but if she has to poo she will do that in her crate if you don't get to her in time. She will not wait for you to let her out. Sometime she may scratch on the door but that will be for #1 she will never notify you for #2.
Now if she wants to go out side she will ring the bell, but she has not been out in the back yard since she decided to run 4 homes down and play in the mud, I mean roll in the mud. I only walk her out side now.

Chester on the other hand lately has been driving us up the wall. He normally holds it for 10 hours if we are not home. My husband lets them out first thing in the morning .
Then I let them out again for lunch. Then again at 6:30.pm.. when my husband comes home Chester looses his mind. Has to go every two hours. Even at night. He never did this before. He always slept though the night. But now he wakes us up at 2:00 4:00 6:00 it driving me nuts. He barks and barks an barks. I don't know what is going on with him and he only does this crazy thing when my husband comes home. When I'm here during the day I don't here a pep out of him. Oh and please do not tell me to ignore him, we have done that too he will bark all night long and then when we get up he will be in a river flow of water.
I have bags under my eyes. We should have two well trained puppies now. I don’t know why Chester is reverting back or what we did wrong to start this crazy behavior. We started the NILIF thing but it is not helping during the night.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am still trying to figure out Phoebe, but she has not had one #1 accident in months. I am very confident that she is 100% pad trained in that area... On the other hand, #2 she will do anytime she has the opportunity to be alone in one of two rooms in the house (the two spare bedrooms). I have no idea why!
We try to keep those doors closed, but if ever I dont have her within eyesight, and one of those doors are open, I know she is busy leaving a "gift". I know she knows exactly where she is supposed to go. It just doesnt make any sense

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I met this man at the post office when I was sending an order out for my store... so he saw my store logo on the package....we got talking about dog clothes and he told me he used to have a maltese! He said he couldnt take the peeing anymore... his dog would pee everytime he came home from excitment... I never heard of a maltese doing that..
Has anyone else? My cousins dog used to pee when it was excited too but that was a jack russel.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Indy was pee pee pad trained when we got him at 13 weeks old. He has never had an accident in his crate. In the beginning he had an accident here and there in the living room, maybe once or twice a week. Now the only time he has an accident is if he feels the pad needs changing
We change the pad several times a day, but if he has used it and we forget to put a clean one down he will pee right on the edge of the pad, which means he misses the pad
That happens maybe once a month or less. Also when we take him out of the house to go shopping or visiting, he won't go potty until he comes home
We went on a family reunion picnic and he held it from 5 AM until we got home at around 6PM. We brought his pads, food, water, bowls, toys, crate etc. just so he would feel at home ..sort of any way. Same thing when we went to my sil house, he waited till we came home and as soon as we walked in the door he ran to his pad! Oh, and sometimes he goes poo and thinks he is done, but it doesn't fall until he walks away, so it lands just off the pad
Compared to the other dogs (puppies) we have had over the years Indy is an
With our Husky it took well over a year to "potty" train him.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Oct 6 2005, 09:15 AM
I met this man at the post office when I was sending an order out for my store... so he saw my store logo on the package....we got talking about dog clothes and he told me he used to  have a maltese!  He said he couldnt take the peeing anymore... his dog would pee everytime he came home from excitment... I never heard of a maltese doing that..
  Has anyone else? My cousins dog used to pee when it was excited too but that was a jack russel.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106997
[/QUOTE]

My little Sammie would pee out of excitement. Whenever company came over, she would attack them with kisses, and the pee would start flying out!! I would give ANYTHING to see that again.

We have ALOT of accidents in my house. I Bissel the carpet every other week. Henry was surrendered to rescue for this reason, so he wears a belly-band. Billy goes by scent alone, so every now and again he will miss the pad. Joplin and Frankie sometimes poop outside of the pad.

Make a long story short, I'm finally in the process of getting bids for the tile I have been planning on for sometime now. I'm going to tile the whole downstairs. I can't wait.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Peechie can hold her pee for about 8 hrs. But, she always has her pee pad avail. Most of the time when she pees or poos she gets very and excited and lets us know. It is very rare that she may have a mistake and pee on the floor. She gets upset when this happens. Hard to figure why she has mistakes, which is very rare
Otherwise she basically has no mistakes, because she's a good girl

·
Registered
776 Posts
Jack has "Jaccidents" as we call them (pee only) on the rug in my room -- it is white and it is nearish his pee pad -- I think he just thinks it's another pee pad. Otherwise, unless I really don't get him outside in time, he is almost totally trained. He won't poo inside unless it's an emergency, and even then, it's on the pad.

With other people's houses, though, sometimes he gets confused... can't find the pad, or the door, so he will just go right in front of the door...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Rosie hasnt had an accident for awhile now, about a month, even though shes only 18 weeks. Rosie can hold it for about 10 hours, shes very good about it, especially at night, or when we take her out shopping.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I need to start retraining the girls. They were doing so good and then about a month ago they started having some set backs. Besides having accidents on the carpet they have peed in my bed 3 times! I need to start taking them out hourly when I'm home. I have no idea what caused the set back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts