Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that use indoor potty pads, which brand do you prefer and where are you buying them (best price)?

Does anymore use washable pads?

Secret apparently prefers going on pads, so I will need to stock up on them. :)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i buy them in walgreens , forgot the brand but there are 50 for ten bucks .

·
Registered
282 Posts
thank you for your link Ladysmom and thank you for your question Lacy's mom ;)
Lena uses pads too ;)
I didn't know where to look for washable pads.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marj -- I such have just contacted you. I know that you were the one using washable pads. :) You're the best source of info, gf. :)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I forgot to add.....

You can get $10 off any order over $100 at Personally Paws. Just enter fall2010 at checkout. Coupon expires 10/31.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts

Marj, me too, and I honestly LOVE them. Love, Love, Love. I always trained inside, my first reason, is if they are not feeling well, or after their spay and neutuer, or when they become seniors, I would hate to see them struggle to go outside.

Mia and Leo is the first I used the washable ones, and for some reason, they just know that's the place to go.

Lynn, I LOVE these. I clean them seperate from all wash of course, clean out the washer, and use bleach while washing them. The last forever.
I just love them.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lacie and Tilly both use the doggie door at home unless it's raining. I then put down the disposable pads for Lacie. She was pad trained as a puppy. And when we travel I use the disposable ones, but, as Secret is pad trained and isn't liking doing her business outdoors, I will put pads down for her. But then the disposable kind aren't convienient if we're using every day, so I wanted to use the washable ones.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Marj, me too, and I honestly LOVE them. Love, Love, Love. I always trained inside, my first reason, is if they are not feeling well, or after their spay and neutuer, or when they become seniors, I would hate to see them struggle to go outside.

Mia and Leo is the first I used the washable ones, and for some reason, they just know that's the place to go.

Lynn, I LOVE these. I clean them seperate from all wash of course, clean out the washer, and use bleach while washing them. The last forever.
I just love them.
Christine, it's been a godsend having Lady pad trained now that she is a senior. Her vision isn't that good, especially her night vision. Last year unless it was bright sunlight out she wouldn't even walk over cracks in the sidewalk.

We also have terrible fire ants down here. If a mound is disturbed, thousands of ants can be at the surface and start stinging. They can sting repeatedly, too. Fire ants can kill dog and cats because their venom is so toxic.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Christine, it's been a godsend having Lady pad trained now that she is a senior. Her vision isn't that good, especially her night vision. Last year unless it was bright sunlight out she wouldn't even walk over cracks in the sidewalk.

We also have terrible fire ants down here. If a mound is disturbed, thousands of ants can be at the surface and start stinging. They can sting repeatedly, too. Fire ants can kill dog and cats because their venom is so toxic.

Oh Marj, I hear you, believe me I do. Bless sweet Lady :wub: And this awful winter we had, oh with all that snow. And when my Flakey was not well at age 15 GODSEND, just like you said.

Good luck Lynn, you will be delighted, if you choose to go that way.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I love the pee pads. I never used cloth diapers for my kids and am unlikely to be washing doggy pee pads ;) The little Stinkers are my favourites, mainly because even though they are pretty expensive, they are really think and absorbent, so when she pees it goes straight in and I don't end up with wet feet trampling pee all over the house :) Lola is happy to go outside on command too which is great. Sorry I just buy them from my local pet store and the price is pretty horrific. I am sure you could find a decent price online though.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
I have a question for you washable users. How many do you need for a multi dog house? I have three now. Lola and Frank were outside trained and used pads during wet weather etc. Truffs was totally pad trained when she came home with us. So, now everyone wants to go on pads. You know how it is. It's really oK with me, but the pads are expenive and I really don't like all the waste. Washables seem like a good idea, but wonder how many I will need? Are they as absorbant at the disposables?

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pam -- see -- you're in the same boat I am. I would rather Secret learned to go outside inside of having Lacie and Tilly decide to use pads all the time.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I have a question for you washable users. How many do you need for a multi dog house? I have three now. Lola and Frank were outside trained and used pads during wet weather etc. Truffs was totally pad trained when she came home with us. So, now everyone wants to go on pads. You know how it is. It's really oK with me, but the pads are expenive and I really don't like all the waste. Washables seem like a good idea, but wonder how many I will need? Are they as absorbant at the disposables?

Pam, to be honest, I have stacks of them. I don't know the number. But I tell you what, haven't had to buy new ones since Leo and Mia were pups. They are two years old now. VERY absorbent and I think from the disposables I used to use years back, much more absorbent. The only reason why I have a stack of them, just like baby diapers.

I use pads downstairs and then also in their bedroom upstairs while we are not home.

I clean the pads, by hand and cloth, prior to putting in the wash. If I don't wash them that moment, I fold them up and have them seperate in a breathable bag. Then I just grab from the stack and reset down the new ones.

So, I don't know how many I have, but I did buy them in increments, to build them up. Because I use two rooms, I just feel more comfortable having more on-hand.

Leo, is a little stinker :wub:. When I put fresh ones down, it is his tradition, to sit on them, why? I'm not so sure. Almost like saying Mom, thanks for the clean pads.

Pam, the pads are in GREAT shape, even after all the washing. I don't mean to sound over zelous about them, but boy oh boy, do I love them.
And the kids know just where to go.

For my two, I lay four down, overlapping. Mia is a walker as she poos, that's my girl, so she still gets it on the pad.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Pam -- see -- you're in the same boat I am. I would rather Secret learned to go outside inside of having Lacie and Tilly decide to use pads all the time.
Well, I definetly took the easy route here and now I have three pad users. The path of least resistance was to let Truffs use pads. Especially with me working all day. But now everyone likes those pads. Frank and Lola will still go outside via the door, but I catch them using the pads all the time too. At this point I would need to take some time off work and retrain truffs and I really can't do that right now.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Pam, to be honest, I have stacks of them. I don't know the number. But I tell you what, haven't had to buy new ones since Leo and Mia were pups. They are two years old now. VERY absorbent and I think from the disposables I used to use years back, much more absorbent. The only reason why I have a stack of them, just like baby diapers.

I use pads downstairs and then also in their bedroom upstairs while we are not home.

I clean the pads, by hand and cloth, prior to putting in the wash. If I don't wash them that moment, I fold them up and have them seperate in a breathable bag. Then I just grab from the stack and reset down the new ones.

So, I don't know how many I have, but I did buy them in increments, to build them up. Because I use two rooms, I just feel more comfortable having more on-hand.

Leo, is a little stinker :wub:. When I put fresh ones down, it is his tradition, to sit on them, why? I'm not so sure. Almost like saying Mom, thanks for the clean pads.

Pam, the pads are in GREAT shape, even after all the washing. I don't mean to sound over zelous about them, but boy oh boy, do I love them.
And the kids know just where to go.

For my two, I lay four down, overlapping. Mia is a walker as she poos, that's my girl, so she still gets it on the pad.

Hope this helps.
I see they have different sizes too. Truffles is also a walker when she poops and Frank is a twirler. LOL! They need room to do their business!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I get the 24" x 36" and put two down next to one another.

Lady is my first small dog and was outdoor trained when I adopted her. Never in a million years did I think I would ever have a pee pad trained dog! It soon became apparent with the way Maltese are about rain and snow plus with working full time that Lady needed to be cross trained, especially when she was diagnosed with diabetes almost eight years ago. I am so glad she was so we could transition totally to pads now that she is so elderly.

I also love not having to get dressed to take her out first thing in the morning or late at night!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I see they have different sizes too. Truffles is also a walker when she poops and Frank is a twirler. LOL! They need room to do their business!
LOL Pam, Mia is a walker and Leo is a twirler, ya gotta love them.

People may think I'm looney tooney, but I also am a stool watcher. Okay that sounds icky, but I am.

Of course if you take your babies outside, you are with them, and can still keep your eyes on their stools.

But the pads make it a great deal easier to spot. If I start to see Mia's stool going soft, I globber my husband, and tell him EASE up on the treats. Leo is very consistent. And I know that's the reason, that Mia will very rarely, but it happens, get a softer stool. Because her Daddy gets up, He can not resist, and gives her a treat. But he really does try hard. I told him, just pick her up and hug her, he does that too, but he doesn't have to give her a treat everytime she looks sweetly at him. It's not good for her. But I do have to say, he really does try.

Leo, he doesn't get up, he prefers his treats delivered. He stays right with Mommy and waits for delivery.

Sorry, this really isn't a good dinner topic :blush:

But I just see so many positives in using them for me, and of course support those who don't use indoor pads. It's just a choice you make. Both Mia and Leo, will also go outdoors for me, when they are romping around. But as far as training, they are just pad trained, but will go outside as well.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I am currently using "Little Stinkers" They are a little pricey but very thick and absorbant so I don't have to use as many. I got 100 on Amazon for $46(free shipping) The Hartz Mountain (in the light blue package) are good, too; also on Amazon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts