Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is 16 weeks old and I have had her for 3 weeks. I use potty pads placed in a holder that clamps it down all around the pad. She was doing fine until 2 days ago. Now she digs and chews the pads to pieces. It doesn't matter whether the pad is clean or dirty. Will she grow out of this or does anybody have any suggestions to get her to stop? Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmom@May 6 2005, 10:27 AM
Bella is 16 weeks old and I have had her for 3 weeks.  I  use potty pads placed in a holder that clamps it down all around the pad.  She was doing fine until 2 days ago.  Now she digs and chews the pads to pieces.  It doesn't matter whether  the pad is clean or dirty.  Will she grow out of this or does anybody have any suggestions to get her to stop?  Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60392
[/QUOTE]

Have you tried a new brand with a different smell to it?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
At a little over a year, Brinkley still does this occasionally.
Brink does it when he is frustrated/angry. (if he has to stay in his "apartment/crate" too long, or if we come home for a few minutes, and then have to leave again...)
He used to do it ALL THE TIME when he was a pup too...he did outgrow it some except for these occasional temper outbursts.

It is funny that she still does it even with the frames...usually this stops the ones that I have heard of...
What a persistent little turkey you have!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Shrek was in a pen at his breeder's home, and the wee-wee pads were in there. His breeder commented that Shrek would shred the pads.

Here with us he has always been free roaming, and we have pads in three rooms. He hasn't touched them. I wonder if it has something to do with boredom or frustration when penned or crated?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@May 8 2005, 12:02 PM
Shrek was in a pen at his breeder's home, and the wee-wee pads were in there.  His breeder commented that Shrek would shred the pads.

Here with us he has always been free roaming, and we have pads in three rooms.  He hasn't touched them.  I wonder if it has something to do with boredom or frustration when penned or crated?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60887
[/QUOTE]

I think it might have something to do with being in a confined space with the pads. I had not thought of that but now that you mention it, it was that way with Catcher. I had the pads in his playpen and he was obsessed with tearing them up. Yet I have pads in the main potty area... the laundry room, and he has never tried to tear them up... he doesn't bother them at all.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie is now 2yrs old... and is trainned on puppy pads. When he was young I trainned him to know the name of his pad... soo when he tried to bite at the pad... i would say "NO biting your puppy pad!" He would then stop and look at me.... hes really smart! Whenever I say puppy pad ... he knows EXACTLY what i'm saying. Even we we go out and he hasnt peed in while... i simply say "you want your puppy pad?" He then cries and lets me know he wants to go! haha.. my point is ... First I trainned Kodie to know what the puppy pad is... and next taught him the word "NO". It has worked for me. A dog isnt simply going to just stop a bad habit... you have to teach them right from wrong. Kodie will however grow and try to bite his puppy pad when hes stressed out and mad at me.. haha... but then he gets the "NO biting your puppy pad"... and he stops..

·
Registered
132 Posts
when dixie was first home and crated she would shred the puppy pads all the time!

she grew out of it soon enough...maybe 6 weeks

xxx

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
You might try Pooch Pads. They are cloth and indestructable. The only thing that bothers me is they are so expensive you have to wash and reuse them, which is ok becuase they are made to be washed and can be washed a million times before they wear out. But....its kinda gross washing them. I guess I should get over it, I mean people that use cloth diapers on their human babies wash those and reuse them
They are convienent and wont tear. I think there is more than one place to get them, but I get bellas at cherrybrook. Whatever you do, good luck!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i taped the wee wee pads with duct tape...it really helped. i did it on the carpet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts