Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Belle is now 10 months old. I brought her home when she was 3 months old, it took us a couple of weeks but being the smart little thing that she is, getting her potty trained was no problem.

She would do everything on her pipi pads. Then when she was 8 months old I had some remodeling done in my house. The entire house except the master bedroom and bathroom became a construction site.

Not being able to access her pipi pad (as floors and walls were removed everywhere) for 6 weeks she was doing her business anywhere she liked (all over the debris).

Now it’s been two weeks since the workers left and Belle has decided that she’ll use the pipi pad for pipi and do her potty in my living room (luckily I haven’t laid out my carpets yet).

I’ve tried bringing her to her pad and praising her verbally and with treats the 2-3 times that she’s managed to do her job in the right spot. But when I’m not looking she’ll quickly run to the drawing room and do her business.

I have tried being nice, I have even showed her her job and said “bad girl” (she knows that ‘goo goo girl’ means she’s done good and ‘bad girl’ means she’s been naughty) I’ve even tried ignoring her to show that I’m disappointed in her behavior. But nothing seems to be working. After cleaning up after her, I’ve cleaned the floor with bleach and spritzed the spray which theoretically stops dogs from doing their business in the area.

Any advice (short of physical discipline) is welcome.

Ps: Shes a picky eater. So she doesn’t have a fixed time of doing potty, sometimes she’ll go once a day and sometimes twice so that thing of showing her the pad an hour after eating doesn’t work for me.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Have your tried Crate Training Belle?? That is the most effective way to Potty Train a new Puppy. From your post, you were putting down those Pee Pads but did not indicate that you had tried Crate Training her. Perhaps the reason she is starting to "go" where she isn't supposed to is because you have not established a routine which is most important when House Breaking a new Puppy. I am sure that later on others here on SM might offer you some suggestions as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have your tried Crate Training Belle?? That is the most effective way to Potty Train a new Puppy. From your post, you were putting down those Pee Pads but did not indicate that you had tried Crate Training her. Perhaps the reason she is starting to "go" where she isn't supposed to is because you have not established a routine which is most important when House Breaking a new Puppy. I am sure that later on others here on SM might offer you some suggestions as well.
Thank you for the prompt reply.

She hasn’t been crate trained. She’s been sleeping on the bed with me since the day she came. I’ve never had any problems with her soiling the bed.

When she was new she’d spend the night snuggled into me (I’d show her the pad before bed) and first thing in the morning I’d pick her up and take her straight to her pad where she’d relieve herself.

I sort of know that it’s my fault for not keeping a pipi pad around when the work was going on and turning a blind eye to her relieving herself anywhere she wanted as, like I said, we were living amongst debris and I had half the house packed into boxes and honestly the workers had driven me up the wall.

In fact, this morning when I wrote the post, she’d done her pipi on the pad but then she’d run to the living room and done her job behind the sofa. I made sure to let her know that I was disappointed (by taking her back to the scene of the crime and telling her that she’d been a bad girl before I picked it up) then I ignored her for an hour.

An hour ago, after lunch she did another job on the pipi pad and I made sure to praise her and gave her a treat.

Do I just have to be patient and carry on doing what I’m doing? Or should I change my tactics?

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I agree with Snuggle's Mom. Unfortunately, you need to go back to the beginning in retraining Belle. She should not have the run of the house and be using it as her pee pad. Get a crate, and keep her in it only letting her out to go pee where she is suppose to go. After she has peed then you can let her play outside her crate ONLY while you are watching her like a "hawk". Her reward for going pee on her pad will be play time outside the crate (while being watched carefully) - then its back into the crate. Set your timer to 1 or 2 hour intervals and let her out to pee. If she doesn't pee then its back into the crate. Yes potty training is intense - but IF you are consistent she will very quickly learn and make life so much more pleasant for both of you. This may sound "mean" to you but its not - Its really showing that you love your fluff enough to train her. A well trained maltese is a joy for ALL to be around. It takes the investment of time (just like children do) but the outcome is so rewarding. Oh, and also make sure you thoroughly clean wherever she has an accident - so she won't be attracted to going again in those places. Praise when she goes on her pad.....when/if she has an accident or starts squatting pick her up and place her on her pee pad - then it's back into her crate. Having the run of the house is a privilege that needs to be earned. Be consistent in your training! I could go on but I'm thinking I've said enough.
🐶 🐾🌻

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another voice for crate training. Dogs also do not understand when you reproach them for mess unless the correction is while they are doing it or immediately thereafter. Even though they can be very smart, their recall does not work like that if you show them an hour later. She will get that you are disappointed if you reproach her next to mess but will not associate it with her actually making that mess somewhere she shouldn't.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thank you all for your advice. Though I would really appreciate something other than crate training.

If someone has had an experience with a similar situation and has also avoided crate training, I would appreciate your advice. Till then I’ll just be patient and see if like Abella’s mom said I’m basically starting from scratch again so hopefully Belle will relearn where her bathroom is.

Side note: I have nothing against crate training, it’s just something I’ve never seen done before. Coming from a family that has always had dogs, I’ve seen my mom, aunt and grandma train dogs to perfection without the crate. Sadly none of them are around anymore and I cannot turn to them for advice.

But once again, thank you. I appreciate every bit of advice that is given on this forum.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I just re-reread Abella's Mom's post whereby she did suggest Crate Training and was in agreement with what I had posted before she did. And as far as I am concerned starting from scratch is Crate Training even though you are not for that idea at this point in time. The choice it entirely up to you as to how you prefer to train your Puppy and I do wish you luck with whatever method you choose.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
If you don’t want to crate train, use a xpen the same way as a crate. She will have more room and not be so confined. Are you training her for just indoor pads or will she be trained to go outdoors as well?

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
I did not crate train my 2, but confined them to the kitchen (w/pads) where we had tile floor. Kitzi basically trained himself at about 3 1/2 months of age---I also put a pad at the end of his pack-&-play crib, which he used religiously. Lisi was a bit harder *(I cross trained them both to go in & out) but now she will go inside on pads or outside (as will Kitzi). I agree w/Joanne that an xpen is a good alternative. Please don't blame Belle---and don't call her bad---try only positive reinforcement. If you don't catch her in the act simply ignore it & take her outside or to the pad & say "good girl." It isn't her fault the house was in upheavel & she was left to fend for herself. Life happens/start over. Don't give her a pass to the entire house until she can manage the smaller space. At the very least take her out when she awakes even after napping, after she eats & before bed. I would try every 2 hrs. until she is showing lots of progress. Above all help her learn to trust you by staying positive---she can read your moods. It will provide you w/endless love & benefits. Let us know how it is going. All the best to both of you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts