Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several of us in the process of house training our pups. I am curious each day wondering what progress the rest of you made that day. Can we keep an ongoing report of our furbabies progress. Each evening we can simply post the number of accidents and that way we can suport one another while charting our own progress.

Yesterday Izzy had:

1 pee accident
2 poo accidents

Today Izzy had:

0 pee accidents
2 poo accidents

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It sounds like Izzy is doing wonderfully! I think the poo is the hardest for us, too.

As a matter of fact, last night Phoebe for the FIRST time actually made an effort to find her pad!
I was soooo happy. And we had no accidents for the first day.

She is 4 months old though, a little older, but the one trainer I spoke to said that it takes about two weeks for them to start showing their true colors. Maybe its getting easier because we've had two weeks of training in the new home.

Today however, already, and I dont know how she does it, but she went right next to me in the livingroom. Then brought me a piece. GROSS!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Aw
Lucy's turning 5 months old on the 9th, but she's still not fully trained. Let's see..

Yesterday-

-1 poo
-0 pee

Today-

-0 poo
-0 pee

Wonder how long this is gonna keep up...

Btw, Izzy's adorable

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Mar 5 2005, 10:13 AM
Today however, already, and I dont know how she does it, but she went right next to me in the livingroom. Then brought me a piece.  GROSS!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40176
[/QUOTE]

YUCK!
Another "Good thing they're cute!" moment!!!!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Great job you did yesterday Phoebe!
I'm sure she thought she was bringing it to you to save you the trouble of picking it up with a tissue. She's probably seen you do that. Who knows how their little minds work.

Wow, Lucy's doing really well. I wonder how long they can go with no accidents to be considered 'house broken'? I can't wait for that day. Tomorrow will be one week that we've allowed Izzy out of her playpen and into a gated area with occasional full run of the house under supervision.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
today Izzy had:

1 poo accident
1 pee accident

Jeesh. How did Izzy's little friends do today?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today Izzy had:

1 poo accident
0 pee accident

She's at the point that if I take her to a pee pad and say Go Pee she will squat and pee, even if it's a drop or two. Also she thinks that just because her front feet are on the pee pad that she's peeing on the pee pad. In reality she's peeing all over the floor beside the pee pad with just her front feet on the pee pad. Any ideas? Will she outgrow this?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 7 2005, 01:02 AM
Today Izzy had:

1 poo accident
0 pee accident

She's at the point that if I take her to a pee pad and say Go Pee she will squat and pee, even if it's a drop or two.  Also she thinks that just because her front feet are on the pee pad that she's peeing on the pee pad.  In reality she's peeing all over the floor beside the pee pad with just her front feet on the pee pad.  Any ideas?  Will she outgrow this?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40608
[/QUOTE]

That is why I put my wee pads in one of the dog litter boxes. A cat litter box works too-but at first Brink wouldn't use that, just the dog one b/c it was flatter or something. He occasionally would pee off of it, but mostly walk while pooing.
This solved both those probs instantly.
Then if there IS a leak or something with your wee pad, it goes in the box, not on your floor. A little bleach, and it is like new again!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 7 2005, 01:02 AM
Today Izzy had:

1 poo accident
0 pee accident

She's at the point that if I take her to a pee pad and say Go Pee she will squat and pee, even if it's a drop or two.  Also she thinks that just because her front feet are on the pee pad that she's peeing on the pee pad.  In reality she's peeing all over the floor beside the pee pad with just her front feet on the pee pad.  Any ideas?  Will she outgrow this?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40608
[/QUOTE]

My Holli always put her two front paws in the grass, and then would pee on the sidewalk. I have heard for going on pads that people get frames of sorts for the pad, and that works for them. Just getting their little feet to "stay in the lines" I guess. The litter box is the same idea I think.

As for accidents already today ---
2 pee
0 poo

yesterday
0 pee
1 disappearing poo (she is so gross).

I wonder if I should just not start her outside already. I really want her to know that in an emergency she has the pad to use but some say its easier to train to go outside. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse is doing great, she no longer has pee pads in the house. Her's are on the back porch. She is watched like a hawk when she is loose in the house (remember, we're the ones that got the new carpeting BEFORE the puppy, what fools)

Today, however, we are having some problems. She was back visiting her 4 legged Momma and her one of her littermates over the weekend as we were out of town. She obviously did NOT get the supervision she gets at home. Joe emailed me to let me know that 2 times already today, she just popped a squat and peed in the kitchen. He is ticked off to no end right now. She came back with the crusties on her little face from her tearing, she had NOT been brushed at ALL (we won't even go into teeth brushing) and we could feel the spine on her little back. If our scale is anywhere correct, she lost a whole pound. Joe said she ate like a hog this morning to the point that she threw up! That leads me to believe she was NOT eating, or never got to get to her food from the other dogs. I was, and still am, p---ed off for sure. NEVER AGAIN, I am looking for a reliable pet sitter to come to the house in April, we have to fly to Chicago for a family wedding. I am so mad today I can hardly do anything...... :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy: Sorry, just had to get that off my chest......

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
For some reason ever since Ruby got spayed-2 weeks ago
she's not using her pad anymore....... do you think she's still upset? I can't even imagine whats going on....we are starting all over with her....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We aren't using the pads. Our pup goes outside to potty. She's doing great. She now barks to be let out and she hasn't had an accident for about two weeks...not counting the few days after her spay.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Mar 7 2005, 12:31 PM
Sisse is doing great, she no longer has pee pads in the house.  Her's are on the back porch.  She is watched like a hawk when she is loose in the house (remember, we're the ones that got the new carpeting BEFORE the puppy, what fools)

Today, however, we are having some problems.  She was back visiting her 4 legged Momma and her one of her littermates over the weekend as we were out of town.  She obviously did NOT get the supervision she gets at home.  Joe emailed me to let me know that 2 times already today, she just popped a squat and peed in the kitchen.  He is ticked off to no end right now.  She came back with the crusties on her little face from her tearing, she had NOT been brushed at ALL (we won't even go into teeth brushing) and we could feel the spine on her little back.  If our scale is anywhere correct, she lost a whole pound.  Joe said she ate like a hog this morning to the point that she threw up!  That leads me to believe she was NOT eating, or never got to get to her food from the other dogs.  I was, and still am, p---ed off for sure.  NEVER AGAIN, I am looking for a reliable pet sitter to come to the house in April, we have to fly to Chicago for a family wedding.  I am so mad today I can hardly do anything...... :new_Eyecrazy:  :new_Eyecrazy: Sorry, just had to get that off my chest......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40772
[/QUOTE]

How awful for ya'll!!!!
So this was her breeder's house she stayed at?
Maybe I missed somthing and I am just confused...
I can't believe she didn't get taken care of any better than that!!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Mar 7 2005, 12:31 PM
Sisse is doing great, she no longer has pee pads in the house.  Her's are on the back porch.  She is watched like a hawk when she is loose in the house (remember, we're the ones that got the new carpeting BEFORE the puppy, what fools)

Today, however, we are having some problems.  She was back visiting her 4 legged Momma and her one of her littermates over the weekend as we were out of town.  She obviously did NOT get the supervision she gets at home.  Joe emailed me to let me know that 2 times already today, she just popped a squat and peed in the kitchen.  He is ticked off to no end right now.  She came back with the crusties on her little face from her tearing, she had NOT been brushed at ALL (we won't even go into teeth brushing) and we could feel the spine on her little back.  If our scale is anywhere correct, she lost a whole pound.  Joe said she ate like a hog this morning to the point that she threw up!  That leads me to believe she was NOT eating, or never got to get to her food from the other dogs.  I was, and still am, p---ed off for sure.  NEVER AGAIN, I am looking for a reliable pet sitter to come to the house in April, we have to fly to Chicago for a family wedding.  I am so mad today I can hardly do anything...... :new_Eyecrazy:  :new_Eyecrazy: Sorry, just had to get that off my chest......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40772
[/QUOTE]
Oh no, the poor thing. Definitely look into a pet sitter next time. I hope she gets lots of extra treats today!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
awww poor baby-I would be SO UPSET too-I hope you let them know-I can see maybe your baby losing weight-sometimes they miss us so much they can't eat...but the other? Theres no excuse for that!! Hugs and kisses to Sisse.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The good news is she weighed in at 4.5 lbs last Thursday at the Vet, as Lady's Mom said she is going to be at "plus size" girl. She had that weight to fall back on. The latest email from Joe was that he had given her only a spoonful of food at a time so she didn't scarf it down and puke again. She is full now and sleeping.....
We'll deal with a bath later on this afternoon when I get home....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Mar 7 2005, 10:09 AM
We aren't using the pads.  Our pup goes outside to potty.  She's doing great.  She now barks to be let out and she hasn't had an accident for about two weeks...not counting the few days after her spay.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=40795
[/QUOTE]
We don't use pads either. Nibbles goes outside too. Funny thing is I'm more paranoid of the pee accidents vs. the poops. He is right on schedule and I know when he has to go poop every day (first thing in the morning and around 4:00 in the afternoon). I can say he's doing great because I watch him like a hawk. He did however run outside his doggy door yesterday to go potty. I was so proud of him.

When can we relax a little and let them roam the house without watching or leashing them to us?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Poor Sisse! No wonder you're frustrated and upset. The good news is that she will never have to go through that again! Poor baby.

I thought we were going to have our first successful day today but at 10 p.m. Izzy peed on the floor. Grrrr.

Today:
1 pee accident
0 poo accident

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
aww no Izzy
last night I thought we were doing well too for the day (one accident). The idea for the other pads seems to be working and she made it twice to the one in the livingroom. But then, out of the BLUE she just went *under* the coffee table and squatted!!!!

So yesterday

2 pee
1 poo sandwich

but I will say that she 'goes' at least 6-8 times pee and 4 times poo a day, so we are making it about 75% of the time. Does that close to Izzy? Mind you, Phoebe is a month older

1 - 20 of 129 Posts