Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dog being pee pad trained was a lifesaver for me! When we first got Baci I was working so he had access to go. Now I have retired it is a blessing when we have bad weather. We live on the 26th floor in a condo. Baci still loves his walks and demands them. But if I am gone all day or there is a hurricane it is a lifesaver.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hum? Yours don't sleep through the night? How long can they go without having to pee? Is it just bladder size? Our current puppy now nearly always sleeps through the night at 14 weeks. But he is currently 16 lbs. How about others who has Maltese that go outdoors? Do they need to wake up during the night?
Mine never woke during the night - he was bell trained and never had accidents unless he was having bladder stone issues. He was bell trained within a week of bringing him home - he was a great dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I'm reading up, it seems people use wee wee pads indoors and train this breed to go on them? Why would that be? I don't want my dogs to go indoors. Ever. Pad or not. Isn't it better just to take them outside regularly and teach them to pee there, praise, and reward? Maybe implement bell training too? The only way I can see pads making sense is if you live in an apartment and don't have ready access to outdoors as often as you need to take them. I lived in an apartment with a goldendoodle puppy, but we were fortunate enough to have a terrace, so I put fresh patches (real grass) out there and took him out whenever we weren't going for a walk (did 3 walks a day). I can see wee wee pads in an apartment with no access to outdoor space. But otherwise, why do it? What are the benefits? I see only cons.
I swore up and down I would never use pee pads, but after construction workers were in my house, for some reason, my then 4 year old male started peeing in the house. We tried everything to get him re-trained to always go outside, but nothing worked. He still goes outside about 90% of the time, but he uses a pee pad the rest of the time. The pads go on a tile floor in an area that is easy to disinfect, so I've learned to live with it. Other than that, he is the PERFECT baby!!

·
Premium Member
20,030 Posts
Well, ....I'm lazy. I have 5 dogs and live at the shore so my house is raised. With these smaller dogs, I have to make 2 or 3 trips up and down all those steps to put them in the yard. Then 2 or 3 trips up and down to bring them up, and I do that a couple times a day. ...but then when a noreaster comes in and the rain and wind is horrendous (I'm not a fan of the outdoors at that point). While I'm at work, the pups have their choice of the pee pee pads or the upper decks outside the doggie door. For me, it's a matter of convienence. They are trained to go both outdoors and the pads.

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Hum? Yours don't sleep through the night? How long can they go without having to pee? Is it just bladder size? Our current puppy now nearly always sleeps through the night at 14 weeks. But he is currently 16 lbs. How about others who has Maltese that go outdoors? Do they need to wake up during the night?
I have one who has IBD, so she needs to poop a lot, which is why I am up during the night. Like I said earlier, if I was to do it over and knowing/living what I do now, I would train for both indoors and out for the convenience.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts