Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:new_Eyecrazy: Hi. Sorry I haven't been on-line for a while, but I need to ask for some suggestions for an on going problem I'm having. Archie is now 16 months old, he learned to use the pee pee pads when he was a little guy and eventually decided he liked going outside better (from being with my Bichon). He has been excellent for long periods of time, but then he reverts back to making mistakes on the carpet. I take him out and stand with him enough times a day that this shouldn't be a problem. It seems like if he has to go when we're outside, he'll go (and I tell him how good he is) but if he has to go when we're inside, he doesn't let me know. Our little Abbey is only five months old and is completely pee pad trained (no mistakes). Other wise he is a very good boy and we just love him to pieces.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
He's not house trained. You need to go back to the basics and get him on a schedule of going outside, rewarding him every time. If you cannot watch him in the house, confine him so he doesn't make mistakes. Not all dogs will ever signal to go out. This is when a schedule can make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
See if you can teach him how to let you know he needs to go out. Lots of people use a bell. I just taught mine how to scratch the back door. I take her paw and scratched the door and then took her out. Then I told her to "get the door" everytime we went out . My maltese is a little over a year old now and has let me know when she wants out for months. She does get a bit lazy now and then and just lays by the door until I see her. Now my yorkie puppy is learning this trick and it is working out very well.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 24 2005, 10:05 AM
He's not house trained. You need to go back to the basics and get him on a schedule of going outside, rewarding him every time. If you cannot watch him in the house, confine him so he doesn't make mistakes. Not all dogs will ever signal to go out. This is when a schedule can make a big difference.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55884
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your in put - ....it's back to the basics for us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts