Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have another little girl being surrender to us tomorrow. She is 8yrs old and not spayed. I will have more info after we get her.
Look at this precious one. Hugs,Edie

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Oh Edie - she looks so tiny and sweet. A surrender? Is Precious her given name by them? And not spayed at 8?? Sending love and thanks to you all for taking her in. Anxious to hear how she is. :wub:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Poor girl. Although, an owner surrendering their dog after 8 years I would hope they had a really big reason, I know sometimes the owner wants to keep them but literally can't for one reason or another. I know some have to surrender ownership if they can't provide medical care any longer, etc. Precious is really sweet looking, she sort of looks like London I think (although London isn't always sweet!). I hope she finds a good home soon.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
She looks so little and has such a sweet face. I hope she finds a great home soon.
Bless your heart Edie!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Oh, I just adore seniors! I shudder thinking she might be a backyard breeder dog. Please let me know if you need any help.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gigi, I hate to tell you but she was owned by a Doctor that specializes in geriatic care. He is younger and his wife left taking the kids, so his world is falling apart. The dog was left for long hours with his practice. He did not know how to care for her, so tried to find the best option for her. He was in tears dropping her off to us. He was upset that he almost left her at an animal Control and said he trully had no idea how bad the places where or the euthanasia rates. So, even very intelligent people just are not informed about the whole dog crisis.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
OMG how sad,for him. His wife just left,took the kids and left that sweet little fluff!
Wow anyone woud fall in love w/ that face! She reminds me of my Rylee,big expressive eyes.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Gigi, I hate to tell you but she was owned by a Doctor that specializes in geriatic care. He is younger and his wife left taking the kids, so his world is falling apart. The dog was left for long hours with his practice. He did not know how to care for her, so tried to find the best option for her. He was in tears dropping her off to us. He was upset that he almost left her at an animal Control and said he trully had no idea how bad the places where or the euthanasia rates. So, even very intelligent people just are not informed about the whole dog crisis.
OMG Edie! How heartbreaking. She looks confused, even though she is adorable, her world has fallen apart. I hate to say it but he is probably better off without her, how can a real mom leave a fur kid? Yes, it is sad how ignorance of the pet crises pervades all socioeconomic levels. It wasn't all that long ago that I wasn't aware of the facts either. To not even have her spayed.......what were they teaching their skin kids? We just need to keep educating as much as we can, whenever we can. I hope she is settling in with your crew well (am I correct, she is with you?). Do let me know if she needs anything. I can't help but feel a little responsible by extension.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,981 Posts
She is a little doll! I would snatch her up in a second if I lived state-side! But then to me they are all beautiful, precious and worth saving. My heart goes out to her and her family---we don't know the story really so I pray that things still might work out. Bless HIS heart for loving her enough to relinquish her to you Edie.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
OMG Edie! How heartbreaking. She looks confused, even though she is adorable, her world has fallen apart. I hate to say it but he is probably better off without her, how can a real mom leave a fur kid? Yes, it is sad how ignorance of the pet crises pervades all socioeconomic levels. It wasn't all that long ago that I wasn't aware of the facts either. To not even have her spayed.......what were they teaching their skin kids? We just need to keep educating as much as we can, whenever we can. I hope she is settling in with your crew well (am I correct, she is with you?). Do let me know if she needs anything. I can't help but feel a little responsible by extension.:unsure:

Can't assume common sence follows with intelligence. We have a neighbour,a retired surgeon,brillant man,no common sence. He attempted to weld w/o eye protection,nearly fried his eyesight.
Now myself,even being blonde...I knew better than that!ha,ha!

We all get involved in our world and aren't aware of so many things we should be. We learn by education sure,but exposure as well. I would imagine,working as a physician ,one's world is pretty ordered,but busy and a bit isolated from more mundane issues.
My neighbour can attest to that,he found out many things,problems,causes and became involved in worthy causes after retirement.

All we can do is try to extend the boundaries of our knowledge and chance what we can. We can't change the whole world,but if all of us change what we can and leave this planet in better shape than we found it,,it'll cover more than just a few doing a lot...it's a good thing!

Like the Shelter Vote,we need more peole voting instead of a few taking up arms to vote multiple times...

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, Here's the rest of the story and why she wasnt spayed. He said they had hoped to breed her since she was papered. He brought the papers and she was purchased 8yrs ago from a pet store and came out of a Kansas puppymill. Gigi, she is not with me but is at a vets by Bron and will be going to a lady that may adopt her but will foster for us first to see how it works out. I cant believe that once she has her, she will give her up.
So glad they didnt breed her and just add more backyard bred dogs to the rescue lists.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ahh... I'm glad they didn't breed her too! I can see where breeding would be a problem but not just being intact (Rugby is intact after all and he won't be bred).

She already has a home lined up too... thats wonderful! I'm sure she will fall in love with her once she has her.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to add one more note to the spaying and neutering reasons. Very often an unspayed female will develop pyometra in older years, especially if she has been bred. It is also shown that intact males develope testicular cancer frequently as older males. Many people dont care to risk anesthesia and so dont spay or neuter. I also think a lot of the stray, intake males have ended up on the streets because they have run off looking for a female. Just my opinion on that one though. Having had a female Cocker MANY years ago that wasnt spayed, I can attest to the males traveling from far and wide to visit her and climb fences, over and under.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts