Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know when one reads something like this that was written almost a year ago one has to wonder why in heaven's name someone didn't do something sooner to avoid what has actually happened now. It could have saved many lives and avoided the huge devestation that has occured. I think the powers that be have a lot to answer for.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Interesting. John and I lived in New Orleans for 4 years from 1979-1983. It was well known in those days that NOLA was living on borrowed time. A big hit from a hurricane was always feared. They dodged the bullet in 1969 when Camille hit the MS coast. It is worth mentioning that the French Quarter and Garden Districts have had very little water compared to the rest of the city. All those hundreds of years ago the people built New Orleans on the highest ground. It is only in relatively recent years that they've expanded the city and built on land that was prone to flooding.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Sep 6 2005, 11:38 PM
All those hundreds of years ago the people built New Orleans on the highest ground.  It is only in relatively recent years that they've expanded the city and built on land that was prone to flooding.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97432
[/QUOTE]

That just absolutely boggles my mind....that they would expand the city, knowing where they were building was below sea-level and that close to the coast.
And THEN people went and made their lives and homes there...KNOWING THAT!?
I just don't get it!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
In Galveston people have build homes on the beach. I don't mean where the seawall is. When I say beach, it's really the beach where the sand is. I don't get it either.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Sep 7 2005, 10:09 AM
In Galveston people have build homes on the beach. I don't mean where the seawall is. When I say beach, it's really the beach where the sand is. I don't get it either.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97506
[/QUOTE]

My brother-in-law is from Galveston. They live close to the beach, but I don't know how close. Wasn't Galveston hit by a bad hurricane a long time ago?
I would LOVE to live on the beach myself...but after Ivan and now this...I have really been reconsidering and just enjoying our summer visits.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think the majority of people in the US live with the belief that "this or that will never happen to me." Its an unfortunate human condition. I'm not poo-poo'ing on anyone with this condition, because I suffer it.

I just hope with all this talk of rebuilding, that they will seriously consider the landscape and dangers of rebuilding in the same area.

Hopefully, the survivors can rebuild their lives successfully.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Beside knowing that the storm was going to hit, the other absolute that has been known for years is that the levy's were only built for a CAT 3 storm. This storm was a CAT 5 before they even ordered the evacuation order. Even when it weakened back to a CAT 4 the residents there should have known that the levys would likely break. Duh!
No brainer...get the heck out of dodge. As the others have said. New Orleans has been a catastrophy waiting to happen for a long long time.

I feel very sorry for each and every one who lost their homes, belongings, and most of all their family members. There was absolutely no need for the loss of that many human lives with the education and communications available today. They were fore warned and decided on their own accord not to heed the warnings. The City Govt. failed the elderly and the sick. Shame on them.

In 1993 (I was single) I had just sold my home and was living in a rental home deciding where I wanted to live. I received a phone call at work one evening saying that my house was on fire. At the end of that night I did not even own a toothbrush, just the clothes on my back and I ruined them that night rescuing two puppies. My brother invited me to stay with him for a few weeks and I wore his sweat pants and T-shirts to shop for decent clothes for myself. I got caught up in a loop hole with my insurance company and did not receive on penny's worth of insurance money. There were times that I thought I might actually die because I did not know what else to do. All I could do was work and cry. After a few months of people asking about the fire. (I owned a beauty shop at the time.) I decided that I was tired of talking about the fire so I put my shop up for sale and moved to SC There I rented a furnished home and started my life over. It is a hard thing to do, but it can be done. I told my husband the other night that the flooded homes, or even the wind destroyed homes in reality were no different than a home lost in a fire. The bottom line is everything is gone. But life goes on. The people who have a will to survive and have a life will go forward and succeed. Those who lived like cock roaches before the storm will continue to live like cock roaches in the future. I do not mean to ramble on and on. I guess what I am saying is that yes this is a terrible thing that has happened. But life goes on, the sun is still going to rise in the east and set in the west. It is what folks do with their time that counts. If they are hard workers then they will get back to a normal way of life in just a while. Those who loot, kill, rape, and such should do another kind of time. No mercy!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Sep 9 2005, 11:19 PM
I told my husband the other night that the flooded homes, or even the wind destroyed homes in reality were no different than a home lost in a fire. The bottom line is everything is gone. But life goes on. The people who have a will to survive and have a life will go forward and succeed. Those who lived like cock roaches before the storm will continue to live like cock roaches in the future. I do not mean to ramble on and on. I guess what I am saying is that yes this is a terrible thing that has happened. But life goes on, the sun is still going to rise in the east and set in the west. It is what folks do with their time that counts. If they are hard workers then they will get back to a normal way of life in just a while. Those who loot, kill, rape, and such should do another kind of time. No mercy!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98223
[/QUOTE]

Very well said.

I am sorry about the fire. That must be a devastating experience. I can't even imagine. It is one of my fears....with my pets and skin kids all in the house. -_-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts