Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I have a pregnant maltese. Anyone else that been through the pregnancy with their maltese?

No, I am just a pet owner, who has their babies spayed and neutured, so no I have never had or will have a pregnant Maltese. I'd be devestated as a pet owner.

However, there are experienced, trained, knowledgable show breeders on here, that may be able to help you, if you have a question or need any help.

As well as many loving people who do rescue and foster Maltese, and perhaps they can help you as well.

This is a great forum to learn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't have to sound so obvious about what you do and don't with your dogs. There is nothing wrong with the people that breed their dogs as long as they know what their doing and be ready for any complications.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
You don't have to sound so obvious about what you do and don't with your dogs. There is nothing wrong with the people that breed their dogs as long as they know what their doing and be ready for any complications.

Oliva, I pray you stick around. I really do. I mean that sincerely. Please do not get defensive. Please.

All I can share with you, is there is plenty wrong with you breeding your pets. Where did you get them? Do you know their health background? Are you prepared to rush your baby girl, to the vets for an emergency C section if the case arises? There is so much more.

And the loving caring people on here will help you. Be open to it please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just defensive because people were already being pretty rude when I am new to all of this. People are going to have their own opinions you just don't need to sound like a jerk. You and MANY people wouldn't have their beloved pets if it wasn't for breeding...It isn't right at all when I just want to talk with other pregnant maltese moms. My female I got from my Aunt 3 years ago and the stud is from a friend. They both have been checked by the vet. I already have the puppies sold and plus I am keeping one. I have everything set up if I need to take her to get a C-Section.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I don't think this is the forum for you. Perhaps you should look for another one. The members here are not mean, but we have opinions that differ from yours. Good luck with your puppies, I hope mom and babies do well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Many people no longer have their beloved pets because of "recreational" breeding, having lost their babies due to a multitude of medical issues. They have learned first hand the importance of responsible breeding. I certainly don't know the circumstances of your breeding but please try to understand the opinions of others and enjoy your time here.

On a forum such as this you have to be open to different opinions. I don't know anyone on here but I do enjoy reading and learning all there is here and I know that if I need a question answered or support this is the place I will find it.

I hope your fluff has a healthy pregnancy resulting in happy lil ones.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Al I can say is maybe Deb and Lacie or Eddie can help her out. They've been through it w/ pregnant rescues. The Malt is pregnant now and nothing can change that,even if we don't agree w/ the method, is there anyone who's had pregnant Malts could help her..

It's not about promoting breeding now,it's about ensuring a healthy mother and babies now and maybe she will stay here and see why we're all so passionate about careful researched breeding on the forum.

I know I'd be scared if one of my Malts were pregnant, even though I used to foster dogs from the shelter that were pregnant,none we as delicate as a Malt...

I know I wouldn't want this to end in tragedy..

Am I wrong? If so, I can take the lumps...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Al I can say is maybe Deb and Lacie or Eddie can help her out. They've been through it w/ pregnant rescues. The Malt is pregnant now and nothing can change that,even if we don't agree w/ the method, is there anyone who's had pregnant Malts could help her..

It's not about promoting breeding now,it's about ensuring a healthy mother and babies now and maybe she will stay here and see why we're all so passionate about careful researched breeding on the forum.

I know I'd be scared if one of my Malts were pregnant, even though I used to foster dogs from the shelter that were pregnant,none we as delicate as a Malt...

I know I wouldn't want this to end in tragedy..

Am I wrong? If so, I can take the lumps...
I agree with you, Michele. The deed is done and her Maltese is pregnant. If some of our members who are experienced breeders can help Olivia's Maltese safely deliver healthy puppies, that is the most important thing right now.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I'm just defensive because people were already being pretty rude when I am new to all of this. People are going to have their own opinions you just don't need to sound like a jerk. You and MANY people wouldn't have their beloved pets if it wasn't for breeding...It isn't right at all when I just want to talk with other pregnant maltese moms. My female I got from my Aunt 3 years ago and the stud is from a friend. They both have been checked by the vet. I already have the puppies sold and plus I am keeping one. I have everything set up if I need to take her to get a C-Section.

I think this says it all, right here. I pray that your little girl doesn't have problems with this litter and that you aren't planning to keep doing this with her or any offspring for any financial gain. That's the definition of a BYB.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts

I think this says it all, right here. I pray that your little girl doesn't have problems with this litter and that you aren't planning to keep doing this with her or any offspring for any financial gain. That's the definition of a BYB.

I feel the same way. It sickens me.

And nope, Marj, there is not one person on this forum, who can help, "safely deliver healthy puppies", from a BYB.

I do pray the OP reads up, and puts a stop to breeding.

I'll do a search for some links, which might help her.

Once again, OP, I will keep your little ones in my prayers.

Deb and Gang

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Hi Olivia,

As a breeder, the best advice I can give you is to try to find a breeder who lives near to you who is willing to be there with you during the birthing. If you don't know of any breeders nearby then ask your vet if he/she can put you in touch with someone. Honestly, I'd never be able to give much good advice over the phone or the internet. I'm nervous with each litter, my vet is on call, and I usually have a friend here with me in case I need a second set of hands or need to rush out to the vet. As for being prepared, do a google search for how to whelp a litter. There is a lot of information out there, including lists of all the things you should have on hand.

I hope and pray that all goes well.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Well, to answer the question being able to talk to other with a pregnant Maltese owners, you won't find that all too often here. We have maybe two members that breed their dogs, and are active in showing thier dogs for conformation. They only breed once they have achieved champion status via the AKC, and choose matings with extreme care to achieve a desired standard. Many of us do have Malts from so called breeders such as yourself, and have paid a terrible price for that mistake. Some of us have been lucky enough to get educated about the breed, and how to choose a good breeder. If all you are looking for is a place to compare notes with other breeders, you will not be happy with the result . However, now that you dog is pregnant, and you have questions about whelping, then there are a couple of ladies here who can answer your questions. But you are going to take a little flack, and get some universal advice to spay your dog once these pups are born. And to spay and neuter the pups as well. A good breeder does that before sending puppies off to new families to insure they won't be used for breeding purposes.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I've bred a couple of litters and have experienced more than my fair share of whelping issues - feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Pregnant Maltese - Reply

Hi:

My Maltese if 4.5 lb and this past July she whelped 5 healthy puppies. Throught the pregnancy you must make sure that your baby is eating healthy. I used to boil chicken hearts and liver and mix it with her food. She ate lots of high protein food in addition to her dog food. I feed Buffalo Blue.

My Mimie was pregnant for 62 days. Towards the end of her pregnancy you must make sure that she eats healthy and has lots of water available, I fed Mimie puppy food after the 58 th week. I also added Nutrical 2 X a day.

During the last 2 weeks ONLY I fed her Boars Head Havarti Cheese, yogurt ( plain), bananas and apples cut up really small. she loves bananas!

During her due to whelp week, I took vacation time @ work and stayed with her. I did not want ultrasound or xrays during pregnancy and I was ready, to go at a moments notice. Thank GOD we did it at home and it was all natural. I was so scared with her pregancy that I spayed six weeks after the puppies. NEVER AGAIN because I love her 2 much to risk her life. All of my mimies babies survived and I kept the runt he is BEAUTIFUL and I just cannot go through that stress again. NEVER!

Feel free to e-mail me any time if you have questions. As whelp day arrives your baby will be so uncomfortable and miserable that her appetite might decrease. Please make sure to have the NUTRICAL handy . Malteses are known for their hyperglycemia and the nutrical will become very handy during the whelp.
No calcium during the the first 6 weeks of pregnancy. babies can be deformed!!!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
You and MANY people wouldn't have their beloved pets if it wasn't for breeding...[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't believe ANY ONE OF US would have a pet, if not for breeding ~ LOL

And yep, I'm being a bit of smartass here. I know you ment many of us would not have our beloved pets if not for BYB's. Well, you're half right, I'll give you that. Most of my beloved pets come from BYB's. The rest come from Mills, with a very small percentage coming from show breeders.

Perhaps I owe you a huge "Thank You". Yep, thank you for the runs to the shelters, all over Los Angeles County, Orange County, Riverside County, and San Diego County. Oh, not to mention the beggings for help all over the United States, to pull dogs off the Red List.

LBB: I had no idea, thank you so much, for opening my eyes. You ROCK!

Jops: Oh, stop it, both of you. This is simply a troll post.

Deb: You're right Jops, I just get carried away.

Jops: I know Deb, but I don't want YOU carried away, nor any of our dear friends on this forum. :wub:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts