Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new to the boards and I will be moving from my parents to a loft in the city. At home we have an Australian Shepard. I want to buy a maltese. I am in the process of waiting until my loft purchase goes through and then I am getting myself a maltese as my house warming gift to myself
All my friends say I need a yard for my new puppy. What do you guys think? I have been reading posts for a while and decided to register.

I was thinking about getting a chocolate maltese and name her Cohco, but my friend told me a pure bread maltese is only white. Is that true?

I have already began to by things for my new puppy. I am so excited.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
welcome to the board!!
having a maltese can be the best thing

its not a must to have a yard, im sure there are lots of malt mommys and daddys who live in apartments but u should still give daily walks for ur baby and give plently of space for him/her for running since malts love to do their torpedo runs

and ur friend is right, there are no chocolate malts , there only come in white, but naming a white malt choco will be cute

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Glad you joined. You can ask all the questions you like here. We will help you decide if a Maltese is right for you and help you descern the reputable breeders from the BYB and puppy mills.
Please read some posts in the breeder area and the puppy mill area. You will learn alot from there about where you should start searching for your pup.
Who's the cutie pie in your avatar?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
welcome to sm! you seem nice

to answer your questions.. you do NOT need a yard for a maltese puppy. i take lucy on 2-3 short walks a day and run around the condo w/ her, and she's fine. sometimes i let her run free in a field, etc but a yard is NOT a daily necessity.

a chocolate maltese does not exsist. quite simply, it's a mutt - probably a maltese-poodle mix. do NOT be conned into buying this "rare" maltese for a high price

anyways, welcome again, and congrats on your decision to bring a malty into your home!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I don't think a yard is a must, or even necessary. I have a nice yard and my older dog goes out on the leash to take care of business. My two malt pups use pee pads (which I thought I would NEVER use) and I think they're great. In fact, a yard might be a temptation to leave a malt outside and they're really not outside dogs.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have a 4 acre yard, but some times I wish I had pad trained Puddles. Never knew there were so many things to smell and eat outside

Good luck with your search and I'm sure your Malt will be the love of your life.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

No yard nessesary for these guys, I live on over and acre and sometimes I really think Sunny would have been happier in a condo lol.
Have you made sure your Australian Shepard is going to be good wiht a little maltese puppy? Even the most genal dog can hurt them when they are so tiny. I dont personally know you dog so I can really say for sure but if i were you I would think about getting a maltese on the larger end of the standard, like 6-7lbs just becuase you have a bigger dog.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Apr 25 2005, 08:53 PM

No yard nessesary for these guys, I live on over and acre and sometimes I really think Sunny would have been happier  in a condo lol.  Have you made sure your  Australian Shepard is going to be good wiht a little maltese puppy?  Even the most genal dog can hurt them when they are so tiny.  I dont personally know you dog so I can really say for sure but if i were you I would think about getting a maltese on the larger end of the standard, like 6-7lbs just becuase you have a bigger dog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56610
[/QUOTE]

or you could go completely out of the standard like Brinkley who now weighs in at a whopping 9 pounds of pure spoiled brat!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Apr 25 2005, 08:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Apr 25 2005, 08:53 PM

No yard nessesary for these guys, I live on over and acre and sometimes I really think Sunny would have been happier  in a condo lol.  Have you made sure your  Australian Shepard is going to be good wiht a little maltese puppy?  Even the most genal dog can hurt them when they are so tiny.  I dont personally know you dog so I can really say for sure but if i were you I would think about getting a maltese on the larger end of the standard, like 6-7lbs just becuase you have a bigger dog.

or you could go completely out of the standard like Brinkley who now weighs in at a whopping 9 pounds of pure spoiled brat!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56612
[/B][/QUOTE]

Haha yeah my Sunny is 10lbs I just didnt want to suggest getting an out of standard dog lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone has been so welcoming at this site, I am glad I joined. The maltese in the picture is my friend's dog. Her name is Tinkerbelle. Sometimes I sit for her when my friend is out of time. The family dog, Australian Shephard, will stay with my parents.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
if you're already getting a loft...thats totally fine. my sister (cynthia) and i take the dogs out for a walk a couple times a day and they last for at least an hour each time. my feet hurt.
LOL.

so i think that as long as you take her out on walks a lot...then thats totally cool.

and dont expect that you dont have to exercise your dog....some malts are different. sprite doenst really like the walks...but when she's out there and watching the other dogs (ellie and gruff) she likes it. and ellie LOVES walks. she's ready to go all the time. same with gruffi.

·
Registered
608 Posts
We have a really nice fenced in yard( w/potholes thank you Ranger) and I don't think Tunder has been out in it for more than 5 mins at a time. He much much much prefers being inside. I am trying to get him to use pee pads but to date no luck. He is 100% housebroken he just REFUSES to pee in the house.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Welcome! A yard is not a must. I live in an apartment and Lexi is fine.

Here is the standard on color for the maltese:
Color, pure white. Light tan or lemon on the ears is permissible, but not desirable.[/B]
Please feel free to ask any questions you have. That is the only way we learn. I've learned so much since I got Lexi, and I still have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Apr 25 2005, 06:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Apr 25 2005, 08:53 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56612
[/B][/QUOTE]

Brink is just so darn cute. :lol: A yard is not necessary, Sisse stays on the back porch almost all day long and we walk in the evenings when it's cooler. Good luck in your search for a new companion!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts