Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there! I hope you can help me. First let me give you an intro, I have an eight month female maltese, I think probably she's going into heat any time, 'cause her vulva is red and swollen.

She's been potty trained since I got her, so I have had no problem with that.

I went to a trip for three weeks and I left her in my sister house and for what they told me she never used her pee/poo pad trained. My sister told me that her maid used to put her food and water on top of the pad, so maybe it was that.

Well now I'm back and the first two days were ok, she used her potty pad, but now she's doing everywhere!!!! next to the pad, next to me, on the carpet, what is it? what should I do??? Please help!!! Thank you so much! Sincerely, Sofia :w00t:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Any major life changes or stresses can cause lapses in housetraining. Your dog's stressful change of environment is likely the cause. Treat her like a brand new pup and go back to the basics of housetraining, especially restricting freedom.
If she is urinating more than normal then she should be checked by your vet for a urinary tract infection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today is the first day she's in heat, is that have anything to do with it? Also she seems a little down, playful but not as always, maybe she's having too many changes in a short period of time?

What should I do to make her feel more comfortable???

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Nothing. Just let her be. While not the most typical, females can have significant changes in personality when in heat.
If you aren't planning to show and breed your female, it would be of benefit to her health to have her spayed within the first few years of life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts