Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well the first place i was going to get sunny neutered was $280, its a really nice vets office, the second place i checked isnt really where i wanted to take him its the vets office attached to a no kill shelter in town well i called for a price idea anyways and guess what they said......around $25! wow thats a big difference, i really want sunny to get the best medical care adn i really like his vet he goes to now but for a different like this we are proubly gonna go to the shelter place i am sure they will do a good job its almost all vollunteers (not the actul vets but most the other people working there) so they really care about the animals that come in.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
:eek: That is a huge difference!!!! Here is a link to a thread where we started listing estimates...there is another where I think we talked about it too...I will look for it and edit/add it in a few...Neuter Estimates
I found the other thread I was thinking about, but there was no extra information...just general neuter discussion.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
That is a huge price difference, isn't it?

I know our local SPCA gives sells discount spay and neuter coupons for a $10 donation and it's only $80 for a spay, less for neutering. Since Raleigh is the capital, there are a huge number of participating vets in the area. Some of the mobile vets also are a lot more reasonable, too.

It's a tough call, though. Malts can have problems with anethesia. You'd have to find out before what kind of anesthesia they use. Also, what about pre op blood work? That's a must. I can't imagine that $25 would include that.

I personally would be nervous about trusting anyone but my vet with anethesia/surgery. I would probably try to work out a payment plan if I couldn't come up with the $$$ upfront, but have my vet do the surgery.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by LadysMom@Feb 8 2005, 03:39 PM
It's a tough call, though. Malts can have problems with anethesia. You'd have to find out before what kind of anesthesia they use. Also, what about pre op blood work? That's a must. I can't imagine that $25 would include that.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34250
[/QUOTE]

They said the blood work would be extra but i already got it done at his vets and they said they can fax over the results, i am thinking the $25 includes nothing (the $280 included everything) but proubly even with stuff like meds for after it will still be less

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Is this a chemical sterilization ? That price seems awfully cheap for a neuter under anesthesia. I would be careful and ask questions like, what kind of gas they use, what kind of monitoring equipment... You could also ask YOUR vet about the chemical sterilization. This is a new procedure and a lot cheaper. Can be done only on males.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Feb 8 2005, 06:41 PM
Is this a chemical sterilization ? That price seems awfully cheap for a neuter under anesthesia. I would be careful and ask questions like, what kind of gas they use, what kind of monitoring equipment... You could also ask YOUR vet about the chemical sterilization. This is a new procedure and a lot cheaper. Can be done only on males.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34278
[/QUOTE]

Honestly i have no idea what a chemical sterilization is and i kinda doubt this place would do doing some brand new procedure

One reason i am so willing to just go with this cheaper one is that my mom dosnt think its worht it to get sunny neutered so when i got the $280 estiamate she was kinda resusing to get it done, for $25 she will go along with it and i just kinda want to do this while she is still agreeing you know what i mean?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521+Feb 8 2005, 07:55 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MalteseJane
@Feb 8 2005, 06:41 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34278

Honestly i have no idea what a chemical sterilization is and i kinda doubt this place would do doing some brand new procedure

One reason i am so willing to just go with this cheaper one is that my mom dosnt think its worht it to get sunny neutered so when i got the $280 estiamate she was kinda resusing to get it done, for $25 she will go along with it and i just kinda want to do this while she is still agreeing you know what i mean?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34301
[/B][/QUOTE]

Bless your heart... I surely admire you for knowing what is best for your baby by having him neutered. I hope everything works out ......

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Well it's in the best interest of the shelters to use that new neuter procedure because it is a lot cheaper then the other one. It's done with just an injection. No invasive surgery involved and no anesthesia necessary. If I had another male needing neutering, I would rather go this way. I think they already started using this procedure here in the shelters. The only thing is, it can be used only on males. Females will still need to go through surgery. Maybe Jackie can explain more what this procedure is all about. What I know about is only what was in the newspaper.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Right Jackie. Now that you mention it, my niece in France was proposed this kind of sterilization by their vet for their male dog because they were reluctant to go with surgery. But she was warned that it does not always work.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok here is the deal so far the shelter vet wont do any surgery on him until he has at least have a check up appointment with them and i have an appointment for one for tommorrow when i can ask all my neutering questions now odd are i am gonna forget to ask something really important but is there like anything if i hear they do it i know i shouldnt get it done there? i know i gotta ask what anesthesia they use, then post it on here so someone can tell about that one and i want to ask exactly what the $25 includes most likly i am gonna add some stuff on...and i really hope he dosnt have to stay the night at this place and if he does they so had better not put my baby in the room with all the like 200lb abandoned dogs with emotional issues (not that i dont feel bad for the shelter dogs but i think sunny would get scared) so i gotta see about that stuff just want to know if there is anything i shoudl watch out for

One thing i really like about this shelter vet is that if there is somethign wrong with you dog that they need a surgery or something like that or they will die they vets there will just do the surgery and most the time they do payment plans like a normal vet but for some people they will lower the price or totatlly wave the fee if they really cant afford it, thankfully i am not in that postition but its something nice to know

·
Registered
64 Posts
Something to think about, my mom & I were discussing the surgery our girl dogs have had & many of the shelters use a drug that basically paralyzes the dog but they can still feel everything!! Could you imagine? I guess it's "safer" and less expensive, but as cruel as cruel can be, imo.

Now, I don't know if boy dogs are the same, but that is a question I would ask- what kind of drugs do they use to knock the pup out. (I wish I remembered the name of that drug!)
Deanne

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Man! $25 bucks is way cheap! I was talking to this vet assistant once about taking my babies to a shelter or animal human society (cant remember) and she advised me, "DON'T TAKE THEM THERE!" This is in my area so dont get too worried. Anyway, it was about 60 bucks there. Most of the animals who come there for the nueter would call or come in for an emergency visit that night or something. She use to work there. Must be bad stitching? I don't know. I never asked her what was the main reason. I mean I still don't get after doing 100's of this surgery, how come you still have issues.

If you do have bad vibes from them, maybe you should keep calling around. I found a place for Cloud that was about 80 dollars less than his original vet's. Keep us posted though!!!!!
GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" so I have some real concerns about Sunny having this $25 surgery. I don't want to stir up trouble between you and your mom, but didn't your mom expect the cost of a neuter when she let you get Sunny? And isn't she the one who will be responsible for him when you go off to college?

Anyway, this article raises some excellent questions/issues even though it discusses spaying rather than neutering.

Surgery costs: are they too high?
Many animal population control proponents say that veterinarians should reduce the cost of spay-neuter surgery or should offer it for free so that dog owners will sterilize their pets.

In the attempt to increase the numbers of dogs that are sterilized, some folks on all sides have cultivated the perception that an ovariohysterectomy (removal of the ovaries and uterus) is quick and easy surgery that can be done on an assembly line, especially since a surgical protocol of puppies has been perfected. In recent years, some national organizations and local shelters have held marathon sterilization clinics, often at low cost, and issued press releases about the number of pets that underwent the surgery in a 24- or 48-hour period. Actually, however, most veterinarians consider the surgery to be major: although it can be quick and easy on young bitches, it can be difficult and time-consuming on bitches that have had several heats or have been bred.

The spay protocol should include a pre-surgical exam followed by injections of a muscle-relaxer such as Rompun and a short- acting barbiturate to allow insertion of a tube into the dog’s airway for air and anesthesia. When the dog is incapacitated by the barbiturate, a clamp is used to hold the mouth open and the tube is installed. The dog may be initially anesthetized with one gas and switched to another (such as isofluorine) for the surgery.

Preparation of the surgical area is done by a technician while the veterinarian dresses and scrubs for the surgery. The technician shaves the surgical site, expresses urine from the dog’s bladder, and uses betadine scrub to clean and rinse the site. The veterinarian uses a sterile scrub pack and scrubs his hands and arms just as a surgeon does before an operation.

The anesthetized dog is placed on her back on the operating table or in a tray that is placed on the table. The tray keeps the dog from sliding and gives the doctor clearer access to the abdomen. The needle used to inject the barbiturate is left in the vein in case more drug is needed.

The anesthesia is switched to isofluorine, which can be increased or decreased if necessary to lighten or deepen the dog’s anesthetized state. Injectable anesthesias can be stopped but cannot be reversed; if the dog gets in trouble on the operating table with an injectable anesthesia, she can die.

The dog is hooked to a heart monitor. The sterile surgical pack of instruments is placed within the doctor’s reach.Then the surgery can begin.

The surgery starts when the veterinarian clamps the skin to stretch it taut and begins the incision with a scalpel. The incision must be done carefully to minimize muscle damage.

The dog’s uterus is a Y-shaped organ with two horns and a body. The uterine body and horns and the ovaries and the tubes connecting the ovaries to the horns are removed in a complete ovariohysterectomy. The doctor uses disolvable sutures for the cuts at the ovaries and the cervix, checks for any abnormalities, bleeders, etc., and closes the incision with layers of stitches.

Time elapsed from start of surgery to the last stitch that closes the incision is about 25 minutes on bitches that have never come into oestrus. Bitches that have had one or more seasons or one or more litters and bitches that carry a lot of abdominal fat can take much longer. Add to this the time for pre-surgical exam and preparation, post-surgical observation, a post-surgical exam if necessary, and removal of stitches, and the cost to safely spay a beloved pet to prevent unwanted litters, reproductive cancers, and uterine infections is a bargain.

Many veterinarians charge more for spays on mature bitches, for the surgery takes longer. Many charge by the weight of the bitch, for more anesthesia is needed to keep a 90-pound bitch safely asleep than is needed for a 25-pound bitch. Generally, a spay surgery for a bitch that weighs less than 100 pounds is less than $150.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions you may want to ask your vet
Those pet owners who consider using a clinic that charges $40 or $50 or thereabouts for spays should ask some questions before making an appointment for Fluffy.

Does the clinic use a reversible gas anesthesia? It’s more expensive, but it’s safer.
Are the instruments sterilized after every use? It’s more expensive and time-consuming, but it’s safer.
Does the veterinarian scrub between surgeries? It takes longer, but it’s safer.
Is the dog hooked to a heart monitor? It costs more, but it’s safer.
Is the incision closed with layers of sutures? It takes longer, but it’s safer.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Ladysmom--You seriously have to ask if they scrub between surgeries?!?!
I would think it was a given. It just sounds so dirty to be doing surgery on another animal (or even for just check ups) and not wash your hands. I don't know...that's just lazy. Can you imagine your dentist not washing up after each patient? *green puking smiley here*

Hey Lady Montava and Dr Cathy--Are you guys gonna wash your hands or not?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by LadysMom@Feb 10 2005, 09:51 AM
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" so I have some real concerns about Sunny having this $25 surgery. I don't want to stir up trouble between you and your mom, but didn't your mom expect the cost of a neuter when she let you get Sunny? And isn't she the one who will be responsible for him when you go off to college?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34601
[/QUOTE]

I totally understand where you are coming from with "you get what you pay for" but after the vet vist i went to today i think the price isnt really that off becuase the $25 dosnt include the $50 blood work (which he already got done someplace else) and $75 sounds more normal plus the $280 was a lazer surgery which they said for some reason costs more and it included pain meds for after the surgery (which i expect to pay extra for at this other place). As far as my mom letting me get sunny in the first place i think she was feeling kinda guilty about some stuff that had happened that year (like leaving me with a coworker of hers for a few months and forgetting about my 16th brithday) so she let me get sunny, about when i leave for college its a pretty big issue around the house right now getting to the point where i might just go to a cc for the first 2 years (which i think considering all these crazy hard classes i am taking in school right now it would kinda be a wast) just so when i move out i wont be a freshman and i wont have to live on campus(dont suppose there are many dog friendly dorms) so i can take sunny with me, either that or just find a school that dosnt require on campus housing for freshmen since my mom dosnt seem very into the idea of watching sunny for a year or so.

Ok now about that vet visit i had today i think it went pretty good, sunny with totatlly healthy but that wasnt really why we went lol, they were kinda busy but the vet tech i got was really great with sunny and she helped me with a lot of questions the only proublem with me and the vet had some umm i guess you woudl call them comminucation proublems. She had an accent i am not sure from where, i am no good at placeing accents, but it was some place out of the country and i guess i was sounding just a touch to redneck today (happens when i get tired lol) well the vet could not understand one single word i said! At one point i pointed to a poster on teh wall about getting your dog microchipped and said i wanted to get one for sunny while he was getting neutered and she was like oh you want to get him microchipped right now? you should just wait until the neuter.
So yeah talking to the vet was kinda weird but i was really happy with how everyone else working there was acting. Seems like they usually deal with things a lot more serious than a spay or neuter there so i think he is gonna be ok and the price is gonna end up sounding more normal once everything is added together so wish sunny luck i made him an appointment for the 16th i would have asked the vet more questions but yeah apparently i am impossible to understand when i talk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts