Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting one of those printer/scanner/copiers for x-mas. I want one that has the memory stick reader built in so that you can print borderless pictures. Can anyone recommed one? I haven't started to look yet but thought I would ask. Next time I'm at bestbuy i'm going to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
I don't know which brand is worth recommending, but I do know that we went through 3 HP all in ones in less than a year. We had so many probs and HP kept sending us replacements for free. When the third one stopped working (after a month or so) I didn't call HP again, I just junked it and bought all separate models (other brands). It's weird, but the free cheapo HP inkjet printer I got with my laptop is like 4 years old and still works great. JMO I will never buy an HP all in one again. I loved that it was all compact and didn't take up the whole office, but the headaches from it weren't worth it to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
I will have to look at mine when I get home...but I have an Epson 6600 (i think that is the number). It has the memory stick holes in the front, although I don't ever use them. I love the printer itself. It does a great job. The only bad thing I can think of right now is that ONE time in the last two years it got a paper jam...and it was where I really didn't think I was going to be able to get the pieces of paper out of it. There was so way to get to them. It took a few various tools and some curse words and patience...but I finally got them all out.
Other than that, it has been a great machine! I know the prices have dropped dramatically since I got mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Aug 31 2005, 03:57 PM
I don't know which brand is worth recommending, but I do know that we went through 3 HP all in ones in less than a year.  We had so many probs and HP kept sending us replacements for free.  When the third one stopped working (after a month or so) I didn't call HP again, I just junked it and bought all separate models (other brands).  It's weird, but the free cheapo HP inkjet printer I got with my laptop is like 4 years old and still works great.  JMO I will never buy an HP all in one again.  I loved that it was all compact and didn't take up the whole office, but the headaches from it weren't worth it to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95810
[/QUOTE]
I really shocked at that! Usually H&P printers are the best. Whenever anyone asks what kind of printer to get I tell them H&P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
I have an Epson Stylus CX6300, which is the same thing as the 6400 in the States. I LOVE it and can't remember how I got along without it. Only thing I don't like about it is that if it runs out of a color, it simply won't print anything at all. I have several times needed to print a simple black ink text paper and couldn't because the yellow ink suddenly ran out and it won't print black without yellow being there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 31 2005, 05:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Aug 31 2005, 03:57 PM
I don't know which brand is worth recommending, but I do know that we went through 3 HP all in ones in less than a year.  We had so many probs and HP kept sending us replacements for free.  When the third one stopped working (after a month or so) I didn't call HP again, I just junked it and bought all separate models (other brands).  It's weird, but the free cheapo HP inkjet printer I got with my laptop is like 4 years old and still works great.  JMO I will never buy an HP all in one again.  I loved that it was all compact and didn't take up the whole office, but the headaches from it weren't worth it to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95810
I really shocked at that! Usually H&P printers are the best. Whenever anyone asks what kind of printer to get I tell them H&P.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95815
[/B][/QUOTE]

I too find that rather surprising :eek: as we have a HP 3 in one and have had absolutely no trouble what so ever with it. It doesn't have the memory stick but then it is probaly getting a little out dated now, but I would not hesitate to recommend HP to anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
I also have a HP 3 in 1 and I love it. I have had it one year and it has the memory stick reader built in although I never use it. I have never had any problems with it so far (cross your fingers).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Aug 31 2005, 07:17 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 31 2005, 05:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Aug 31 2005, 03:57 PM
I don't know which brand is worth recommending, but I do know that we went through 3 HP all in ones in less than a year.  We had so many probs and HP kept sending us replacements for free.  When the third one stopped working (after a month or so) I didn't call HP again, I just junked it and bought all separate models (other brands).  It's weird, but the free cheapo HP inkjet printer I got with my laptop is like 4 years old and still works great.  JMO I will never buy an HP all in one again.  I loved that it was all compact and didn't take up the whole office, but the headaches from it weren't worth it to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95810

I really shocked at that! Usually H&P printers are the best. Whenever anyone asks what kind of printer to get I tell them H&P.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95815

[/QUOTE]

I too find that rather surprising :eek: as we have a HP 3 in one and have had absolutely no trouble what so ever with it. It doesn't have the memory stick but then it is probaly getting a little out dated now, but I would not hesitate to recommend HP to anyone.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95843
[/B][/QUOTE]
I was surprised too. Every single person I spoke to recommended the HP all in ones, but it was a huge mistake in my case. All of the regular inkjet and laser printers we've had from HP have been extremely reliable and long lasting, it's just the all in one's that we had probs with. My BIL is really big on the consumer reports reviews and I swear he won't buy a thing until he reads up on it. He was really surprised too. Maybe it's just my own bad luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Aug 31 2005, 03:57 PM
I will have to look at mine when I get home...but I have an Epson 6600 (i think that is the number). It has the memory stick holes in the front, although I don't ever use them. I love the printer itself. It does a great job. The only bad thing I can think of right now is that ONE time in the last two years it got a paper jam...and it was where I really didn't think I was going to be able to get the pieces of paper out of it. There was so way to get to them. It took a few various tools and some curse words and patience...but I finally got them all out.
Other than that, it has been a great machine! I know the prices have dropped dramatically since I got mine.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95811
[/QUOTE]


Ok, I got home and checked, and mine is an Epson Stylus CX6400.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,543 Posts
This is my second all-in-one from HP. Had the first one for 4 years. It was an Office Jet i85. This latest one I have for a year now without any problem. It's a HP PSC 2410 Photosmart all-in-one. It has the memory slots but I don't use them. I am kind of disappointed by the quality of the pictures printed. They are good mind you. It's just that I expected them to be better then on my old all-in-one since this one can use the photo cartridge. Well I won't buy another photo cartridge because the pictures printed with the normal cartridges are better then with the photo one. Also the color on the copy function was better on the Office Jet then on this one.
Littlepeanut, I am curious, what type of problems did you have ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already have a printer (HP color printer). I want to get a photo printer with the money I get for x-mas from my company. They give you a x-mas gift from Best Buy and you can return it if you want something different (last year my gift was a little over $300). I had been thinking of getting a Ipod but now I'm thinking of getting a all in one photo printer. I would really love to scan my family's photo and put them on CDs. I could make copies of them so that all the kids (and my parents) have copies. After that I would like to scan the my grandparents pictures.

Are you able to print full page photos with the all in one printers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 31 2005, 10:00 PM
I already have a printer (HP color printer).  I want to get a photo printer with the money I get for x-mas from my company. They give you a x-mas gift from Best Buy and you can return it if you want something different (last year my gift was a little over $300).  I had been thinking of getting a Ipod but now I'm thinking of getting a all in one photo printer.  I would really love to scan my family's photo and put them on CDs.  I could make copies of them so that all the kids (and my parents) have copies.  After that I would like to scan the my grandparents pictures.

Are you able to print full page photos with the all in one printers?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95910
[/QUOTE]

With an epson you can. I also have an epson and itis a R300 I love it . i also right songs and it is perfect for making cd's with images on it. I have also printed my wedding pictures of of it as well 10*8 and 5*7. You can also do borderless and print with out connection to your printer. only issue is with this one that I have it does not have the scanner itis not a all in one but epson does have them. Picture quallity is amazing. I also have a brother...I know what you are thinking ,but I love it it is 5 in one. you can print colour , fax colour, scan and print. It is really good and only cost 149 for it. 1 was really impressed and it does the job.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,543 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by full page photos. If you mean to print an 8 x 10 photo, yes you can. I don't print my pictures from the memory card directly with the printer. I always use a software program like Printmaster or Paint Shop photo album.
I am checking the user manual. Maybe that's what you are looking for :
- print individual photos
- create borderless prints
- deselect photos
- use quick print to print the current photo
- print a DPOF file
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Aug 31 2005, 09:08 PM
Littlepeanut, I am curious, what type of problems did you have ?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95889
[/QUOTE]
Janine, I don't remember the models, but there were so many problems. The oldest one would only fax the outer edges of the page, leaving the entire middle blank. It scanned and copied fine, but for some reason when it would fax, it would leave out the whole middle. The scanner/fax/copier used the same bed, so it was impossible for the service guy to figure out. The second one (free replacement) had a faulty wire in the plug somewhere, which was fixed. A few months after the wire was fixed, the printer wouldn't accept new ink cartridges, it kept reading the ink being empty and wouldn't print. It just go through the motions of printing and spit out blank pages. The third one (also a free replacement) had problems with the paper feed. I tried a half a million times with different size and weight papers, but it would not pull the paper through. The service guy didn't believe me until he tried it for himself. He did offer a free repair, but at that point I had just had it and I left the printer with him. I must say, they do have fantastic service.

All of them were first quality bought straight from the store by me or my ex. I'm beginning to believe it was just my bad luck
I work from home sometimes and it is really important to have something reliable, and the HP's just didn't work with me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,543 Posts
That was really bad luck ! You can accept one bad one, but 2 and 3 ? We use the fax feature only to receive. But we have another fax in my husband's office that he uses to send. It's a Brother Intellifax and I am ready to throw him out because it will stop printing with the black cartridge if only one of the color cartridges needs to be replaced. How come they need replacing in the first place since we never print color !! And these cartridges are not cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
I know what you mean about the ink prices. They give printers away for free, but the ink will cost an arm and a leg. Sorry I don't have any advice Kristi. I just stopped looking for all in one models since then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Aug 31 2005, 11:09 PM
That was really bad luck ! You can accept one bad one, but 2 and 3 ? We use the fax feature only to receive. But we have another fax in my husband's office that he uses to send. It's a Brother Intellifax and I am ready to throw him out because it will stop printing with the black cartridge if only one of the color cartridges needs to be replaced. How come they need replacing in the first place since we never print color !! And these cartridges are not cheap.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95940
[/QUOTE]

does he leave the fax/priner on all the time. I find if you do that the cartages do dry up. I also had this issue with my old epson. So I now turn it off when I'm not using it.

You can same a bundel if you get the ink from costco. I find it is way cheaper. You buy in bulk like three at a time for the cost of one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I start looking I will see if I can find some that will still print if one of the cartridge is out of ink.

The HP printer I have now has a feature that lets you have leave the printer turned off until you try to print something. When the document gets sent to the printer it will turn on automatically and then when it is done printing it turns off again. I love that feature!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 1 2005, 09:34 AM
When I start looking I will see if I can find some that will still print if one of the cartridge is out of ink.

The HP printer I have now has a feature that lets you have leave the printer turned off until you try to print something.  When the document gets sent to the printer it will turn on automatically and then when it is done printing it turns off again.  I love that feature!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96002
[/QUOTE]

gee I hope that does not happen with my Bother All in one printer.
So far so good. Also my epson colour ink lasted way longer then i thought it would. i mean I have doen some really big picture printing wedding pictures and all. I have not changed the cartages since we got it they are still nearly full
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top