Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple of days Stitch has been out of control barking at everything! And oh boy when he sees another dog (other than Lilo) He gets in this zone once he starts barking and you just can't distract him. We try to spray him with water, shake cans with coins in it, get him to do tricks (sit, give paw etc), wave treats in his face...nothing works and it keeps getting worse. We've got to be doing something wrong. I originaly thought that PetSmart training would help, but they don't really address bad behaviour.
So I finally broke down and called a personal trainer. Luckily she had a cancellation for today, and so she's coming over. She said that this is a common problem and she'll give us a lot of tips to help with his barking.
Wish us luck!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So last night we worked with the trainer for an hour. She was so upbeat and totally put our PetSmart training to shame!! We learned more with her in an hour than we did with PetSmart for 8 weeks!! Although I still liked our PetSmart class since it exposed Stitch to some other small dogs.
Anyway, basically, she said to tackle our barking problems with Stitch, our problem is that we don't have the ability to get him to focus on us, or distract him when he gets into his barking fits.
She taught us a lot of techniques to work on, but cautiouned that it is a slow process!
We also worked outside, and she taught us how to use a clicker to help Stitch walk better on a leash, and also to help him focus on us when we call his name. (we had previously just tried using treats, and it wasn't really working cause once Stitch is outside, he just doesn't care about treats because tehre are too many distractions!!)
Anyway, at the end of the day, a lot of what she said basically agrees with what JMM had posted in some other posts, about distracting your dog and having them do other tricks or puppy push ups etc. We just need to build his training so we can actually get him to do them!!
I wrote up some detailed notes after the class with all the techniques that she taught us, so i wouldn't forget them.
If you're interested, PM me and I'll email them to you when I get home tonight.
Hopefully this method will work!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Sounds just like what I would suggest. Those attention exercises are a fantastic skill to have. You will be able to use them in lots of situations. They are great when dogs are scared or nervous, not only for barking or other undesirable behaviors.

It will be slow for a while. Just remember that and don't worry. Keep working and things will start to improve.

I'm glad you found a trainer you like. I have found that the best training classes are the ones that teach you how to teach your dog and understand how they learn...a good instructor is really a priceless tool.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I am so glad you wre able to get some help! Nothing is worse than knowing you have a problem and not knowing how to correct it!

Was this a one time session or will the trainer be coming back?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Wonderful report on your training session!

I have always done basic obedience class with puppies and only used a 1 on 1 professinal trainer once when we were having an alpha/aggression problem with a dog. As you say, what a difference! I can't remember what we paid it was so long ago, but it was worth every penny. She trained me how to train my dog so the lessons I learned I was able to use with dogs I got later on.

Good for you for consulting a trainer for the behavior rather than just ignoring it or trying to deal with it yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts