Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got Pro Line Self Rinse shampoo in the mail today. A question. I wanted to try to use it on Tyler's face for his tear stains (after trying so many other things). It says to apply directly on the area and make a lather. But how do I put it on? I'm afraid it will spray in his eyes?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
You can saturate a cotton ball and apply it that way if you are concerned. I usually just pour a little on each side and massage it into the beard and mustache. Comb through and then towel dry.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can saturate a cotton ball and apply it that way if you are concerned. I usually just pour a little on each side and massage it into the beard and mustache. Comb through and then towel dry.
Thanks Brit. His beard and mustache are really fine it's just the tear staining that's really bad. I've been trying everything over the last few months from doctor rx to food change to washing with various things and cutting hair so it doesn't poke eyes (which for us worked the best). I used a baby washcloth last night to put on the no-rinse shampoo but couldn't get much of a lather.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just got Pro Line Self Rinse shampoo in the mail today. A question. I wanted to try to use it on Tyler's face for his tear stains (after trying so many other things). It says to apply directly on the area and make a lather. But how do I put it on? I'm afraid it will spray in his eyes?

Hi Susan.. I spray it on the tiny face comb and comb it through, then put on a mixture of boric acid 1/3/corn startch 2/3 (with fingers or a comsmetic brush) and then dry it with the hair dryer. It will lighten staining but it takes awhile, like anything else. I also use castebaths' anna products, but again, as with anything it takes time and dillegence. nothing is quick. (not saying you think it will be, just making a comment :))

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Susan,

Izzy's tear stains have been getting better recently and there are only two things that I've done. I started using pure paws products and bathing weekly. I started adding coconut oil and or chips to her food. The hair under her eyes is growing in nice and clean and the older stains are fading.

I'm leaning toward the the possibility that it's the coconut in her food because there is evidence supporting that theory with other dogs.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I don't use the Pro-Line but do use PurePaws No Rinse and I put it in one of those color mixing bottles with the funnel cap that you get from Sally's Beauty Supply to apply it. I use my fingers to kind of scrunch their facial hair and then comb it through with the finest side of my CC Face/Paw Buttercomb.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Susan.. I spray it on the tiny face comb and comb it through, then put on a mixture of boric acid 1/3/corn startch 2/3 (with fingers or a comsmetic brush) and then dry it with the hair dryer. It will lighten staining but it takes awhile, like anything else. I also use castebaths' anna products, but again, as with anything it takes time and dillegence. nothing is quick. (not saying you think it will be, just making a comment :))
Thanks I know nothing's quick and sometimes it feels like one step forward, two steps back. I don't even mind it as far as his looks but I keep feeling it's unhealthy. Will try the boric and corn starch. Think I mixed up a bottle of that somewhere before.
Would it work if you put it on your fingers first & then on his hair?
I did that last night in addition to the baby washcloth. It's such a small space to work with on his little face that it's hard to work things in. Hard to explain.

Susan,

Izzy's tear stains have been getting better recently and there are only two things that I've done. I started using pure paws products and bathing weekly. I started adding coconut oil and or chips to her food. The hair under her eyes is growing in nice and clean and the older stains are fading.

I'm leaning toward the the possibility that it's the coconut in her food because there is evidence supporting that theory with other dogs.
I bought the coconut oil that Suzan suggested last week. Now I just have to start using it. Maybe that will help. Thanks.

I don't use the Pro-Line but do use PurePaws No Rinse and I put it in one of those color mixing bottles with the funnel cap that you get from Sally's Beauty Supply to apply it. I use my fingers to kind of scrunch their facial hair and then comb it through with the finest side of my CC Face/Paw Buttercomb.
Thanks Crystal. Didn't know Pure Paws made one.
Got those bottles for his shampoo and conditioner I'll get it for this too. I should just open a salon:) I use one of those tiny flea brushes to comb thru his muzzle and beard hair -- it works so well. I think he keeps hiding them on me though :angry: - just bought a new one yesterday. Luckily the rest of Tyler's is spotless and whiter than white.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
ProLine doesn't make a rich suds since it's self rinsing. Just massage into the hair generously and comb thru to get debris out, then dry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been following varies threads about treating tear staining. When looking into picking up boric acid to mix in with corn starch, the only kind I was able to find was labeled as "Roach Killer". Is this the same stuff? Knowing that it isn't as safe (but perhaps more effective) than products like Spa Lavish Facial Scrub, how dangerous can using boric acid be? Can it cause damage to the eyes if any were to get in?

I want to be sure I understand the pros/cons before deciding to try out a new remedy. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
744 Posts
watch how much coconut oil you guys use, it's high in saturated fat. I would assume that if it's bad for US, then it's gotta be worse for them. I don't have anything to back this up (except the knowledge that it's high in sat. fat), I'm just saying, I wouldn't give too much to Vi if it were me.
BUT...that said, it's also high in many GOOD things, and that's probably why it's working on other things. I'm just learning about nutrition and how the body works, and it makes sense that if you change your diet and add something that your body is missing, it will change your body chemistry. Including pets ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts