Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting concern when Puddles drinks water. He has lately started to gag and hocking right after he drinks a lot. Does he drink to fast, I wonder. Last night a little water came back up after the hocking started. Kinda act like hes chocking, I have rubbed this throat and it don't help.

I don't know if we need a visit to the vet or not. Do any of your puppy do this sort of thing? He eats find and don't act like hes having any type of chocking problem. Its just after drinking water.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Our lab Ranger does this if he is intent on drinking the entire bowl in one gulp. He will even go as far starting to cough and gag. Our vet said to monitor his water intake (only let him have so much at a time and it has pretty much ended the issue.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
this can happen if their trachea is weak...if the gagging increases u might want to get him checked out...but otherwise it can be something to live with. parker does it sometimes when drinking..but doesnt do it any other time. but if it starts to cause trouble breathing then it is something that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure pray its not his trachea, I would be so upset.

I met a couple that had a Malt whos trachea was damaged by a groomer. The poor dog was on so much medicine and had such a hard time. Had surgery twice and was going for more. I don't know if I could put Puddles thu all that. My love for him is so dear, but to see the suffering as that dog was would be hard to accept.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
is Puddles drinking from a water bottle or a water bowl?

i gave water to jongee in a waterbottle so that her face would stay clean and dry and jongee used to choke a little a few times when she drank too fast from her water bottle, it seemed like it made her do it since the waterbottle is verticle , so i switched her back to a water bowl and she never does it anymore

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Apr 24 2005, 08:55 AM
Jonathan does that when he drinks really fast. I just try to interupt him once or twice while he's drinking so he slows down.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55880
[/QUOTE]
Kirbie does this too,just plain drinks too fast. Most the time its when they are playing and he has to "Hurry up" and get a drink so he doesnt miss out on any thing!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Sounds like Puddles is doing what a lot of our dogs do.... Catcher drinks too fast, too, and sometimes does what Puddles does...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts