Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
As a first time Maltese parent this is my quick list off the top of my head...

PROS:
*Sweet, affectionate breed
*Deni is relatively quiet only barking during play most of the time (may change!)
*Can be trained, with a little patience (I'm comparing to Ally who is a quick learner)
*Small breed (I'm not a big dog person)
*Not overly aggressive (Deni is more on the submissive side, but I understand they are good alert dogs)

CONS:
*Tearstaining
*Grooming time (if you plan to keep the hair long)
*Potential for hereditary problems

I'm sure there's more but my brain is heading towards shut down mode!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
well, i think personality totally depends on the dog...not the breed, you know? but i like both of their personalities, but i think its because of how i trained them too. like right now, they're just sitting around or sleeping. and i know in a while ellie will ask to play...and i'll play. lol.

cons: health issues. like sprite needs both of her knees done, their hair grows out and because of how they play----i'd have to brush them at least 4 times a day...so i just shave them, tearstains, hair growing and getting into the eye and that they are fragile. OH, and their teeth. sprite has bad teeth and ellie has good teeth. pottytraining

but if you devote your time....and you train her how you want her....it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Something to think about if you are considering a Maltese is that they really need their people and do best if they won't be alone too long. That said, I do believe quite a few Maltese folks successfully leave their babies alone for a full workday.

If you are getting a puppy, they need a lot of care that first few weeks to ensure that they are eating properly. Some are very picky eaters and will starve themselves into hypoglycemic shock (don't listen to your vet or anyone who will tell you that a puppy won't starve itself and to just wait until s/he eats. People who say that are not familiar with the tiny breeds and don't know about their tendency towards hypoglycemia, which can be fatal).

Mine are very intelligent. One is very hyperintense and needs a lot of attention. The other is more laid back, but also needs a lot of attention.

The puppies vary in care level and training needs. Sylphide was a bratty maniac, very intense, and needed a lot of training. Shrek is very laid back, much less adventurous than Sylphide, and hasn't needed as much training because he both listens the first time and doesn't get into mischief. This said, with careful, loving attention and training Sylphide has matured into a wonderful, loving, obedient adult.

Some Maltese are passive. Others are not. I have a very assertive, bossy one who always gives us a piece of her mind. Both of mine think they rule the street when we go for walks.

This said, we adore our babies, they are spoiled rotten, and we will forever be a Maltese family. They are wonderfully intelligent, have a mischievous sense of humor, are marvelously affectionate, and have simply adorable personalities.

Hope this helps! Good luck in your decision making.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
If you or anyone else wants to see how special this breed is, go to this site owned by Always Maltese and click on "Maltese Memorials"..... it may make you teary-eyed but it surely opens our eyes to what an amazing breed the Maltese is.

One of the beautiful tributes says, "Until you have been loved by a maltese, your soul remains unawakened."

Maltese World Web Site

EDIT: P.S. There are also tons of puppy pictures and tons of Malts from people around the world.....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats true, malts like having a person around them.

i know there's a couple of people here that keep their malts in crates/playpens even when they're home. im the type that likes to play with my dog every chance i get. remember that---they only live like 15 yrs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a stay at home momie so I would be with the puppy all the time. about the only place I go is my moms, and they would be upset if I didnt bring th epuppy over lol. I do go out with my boyfriend every two weeks for a few hours buut thats it. and my mom and my sister watch our son and will watch puppy to.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats so awesome. that'd be a great set up. especially during puppy times. when you're TOTALLY consistant and you put a lot of time into it--(like potty training) the results will show faster.

i learned with each of my dogs different things. and its fun having them around 24/7. i like having them sleep on my bed (eventhough i still rollover onto them every now and then. LOL) and its really cute when you have your head on your pillow and you see their little faces sleeping.

anyway, i really hope you enjoy your puppy as much as some of us do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when I had my yorkie I would let him sleep on my bed with me. he would lay his head on the pillow and i had to cover him up just like a person
but I dont know if I would have the new pup sleep wit us cause my son sleeps with us sometimes and he might roll on or kick the pup.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
awww!! thats so cute. maybe you can sleep in the middle and your son and the pup on each side. lol.

i like it when sprite sleeps next to me...and lets me give her hugs and kisses. lol. and i LOVE it when they sleep on their backs and look like little humans too.

every now and then, gruffi will sleep with his head on my pillow and give a big huge sigh...and i'll wake up. LOL. he can be a pain in the butt sometimes. lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
me and my boyfriend have our son sleep in between us. he will wake up in the middle of the night and wants to cuddle with us. he has to be in the middle though becuse he will roll off. he did that once and had a huge bump on his head sor a few days. poor baby

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
awwww!!! the same thing happened to sprite!!!

and she woke up sooo scared, but she still didnt learn to not go near the edge of the bed. she fell off the bed like 2 times.

are you planning on crating the dog?

have you decided to get a maltese? were your questions answered in this thread?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we havent decided yet. my guy dosent like any of the dogs on my list
we have :mini poodle, bichon, shih tzu, and maltese (not in any order). I will probably have a crate for the pup so if it needs to get away from shane (my son) it will have a place. and for house traning. my yorkie loved his crate.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
how old is shane?

ok....i may be biased....but maltese is definitely the best out of your list. LOL.

these are my problems with the other breeds:

miniature poodle: the face its too long. and the hair is curly and not cute (like maltese have what looks like hair. that you can style)

bishon: huge, big face, and the curly hair again.

shih tzu: they're big, have folds in the face (so you'd have to clean between the folds), and the eyes are buggy

maltese: the cutest dogs EVER. lol.

i hope my list helps you out a little. LOL.

and gruffi loves his area under the couch. lol. thats sorta like his crate. and now sprite and ellie have started going under there...to just relax and get out of the sun.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
chihuahuas are CUTE...if they look like taco (MEE is babysitting). i totally fell in love with him. but its soooo hard to squeeze/hug a small dog. like with gruffi...i'll bear hug him. LOL. and he loves it.

the cons about chihuahuas: some of them have 'the shakes'. they always look nervous. ihate that.

you should look into big dogs----but treat him like a small dog. LOL

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
This is what I have so far in the month I have had my furbaby:

Pros: Follows me everywhere
loves to nap with me and lay in my lap when I watch tv
love the kids and attention
doesnt mind being dressed up
likes to scare the squirrels off the patio
learns sit, stay, lay down, and get the squirrel quickly
great to talk to

Cons: Tearstaining
this may just pertain to my dog-- he hard to train to go potty in a box
I brush his hair twice a day and he still gets mats
the long blowdrying time

But I dont mind putting up with the cons, because the pros by far outweigh them! Rex is a 5 pound bag of sugar!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts