Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the Dr. Harvey's video and 2 sources of protein that I have never used are tofu and lentils.

Have any of you ever used either of these? Did the fluffs like them?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Dr. Center's recipe for dogs with liver disease uses tofu as it's protein.

A lot of dogs are allergic to soy so you have to be careful, though.

Years ago I homecooked for Lady and used chick peas for protein.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Since Harry has liver problems, he, Teddy, and Benny eat tofu every day. Tofu pretty much has no flavor of its own. It sort of absorbs the flavor of whatever it is mixed with or marinated in. The boys seem to like it. The dogs don't eat lentils.

Both of my daughters are vegetarians, so I have been dealing with and eating tofu and lentil burgers and tempeh and seitan for years and I have to say I really like the vegetarian foods. In fact, one of my favorite restaurants is a vegetarian cafe on the upper east side of Manhattan.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Just an FYI about tofu, not criticizing anyone, or telling anyone what to use: Unless certified organic, 99%% of soybean products are now genetically modified. Unfortunately we do not yet know the long-term side effects of GMO foods. Tofu is also a highly processed food. Soybean/Tofu products contain plant estrogens, and use of soy is indicated in suppression of thyroid activity in some cases. I personally avoid all soy products. (I once lived on the stuff)

I personally would not use lentils or other legumes for my dog's food unless there were no other alternatives available to me. I have used scrambled eggs in Dr. Harvey's pre-mix, and the dogs do quite well on them.

This is just my opinion. The information I provided is readily available to everyone. I'm not telling anyone what they should or should not feed their dogs, just offering an opinion on using legume proteins for dogs.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'd also question using non-animal protein to feed to animals. That doesn't seem quite right to me. I'd worry about non-animal protein being a complete protein with all the essential amino acids that are in animal proteins like eggs and meat. If you really think about it, there's a ton of variety out there available. Beef, chicken, turkey, duck, quail, pheasant, goose, lamb, buffalo, rabbit, venison, and on and on. Also things like cottage cheese and eggs too. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never used either tofu nor lentils as a protein, but was watching the video and was just curious as to whether or not anyone had used them and how the fluffs reacted to them. I do scambled eggs from time to time for the girls and Dr. Harvey told me that was fine.

I think I'll stick to what I'm currently using as we haven't had any issues -- lamb, chicken, turkey breast, eggs, beef (except not for Lacie due to allergy), salmon, cod, sardines, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts