Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be graphic, don't know any other way to explain this.
Today hubby called me at work, when he got home, Puddles had diarrhea all in the kitchen and he was laying around. Several places had jell in them and it was real yellow and runny. I got so upset and told him to bring him to my work. I called the vet and they wanted to see him then. Well hubby brought me my dog and no samples...go figure. Bless his heart, he tried to clean him up, but his hinny was yellow.

The vet did a fecal smear and couldn't get much of any thing. We tried twice going really deep, making puddles yell and nothing more. She listen to his stomach and said it was really talking to her and was very upset.

I wonder if he has worms and asked that. She didn't think so. Said he may have eaten something that has parasites in it (Puddles will eat any thing in the yard he's not suppose to). I do live in the country and some of our land is farmed out. Last week they spreaded chicken poop over the land. I wonder if Puddles may have eaten some of that. The vet said its live with parasites...yuck ! And that would make him really sick and could even kill him.

We were given:
Sucralfate 1 gm - 1/2 tablet in slurry 3 x day
Metronidazole 250 mg - 1/2 tablet 2 x day
Prescription diet Canine i/d can food - 1/2 cup 2 x day

He may have diarrhea again tonight and if I see any thing, I am to bring it to them in the morning.

Have any of you had dealings diarrhea like this . You think the medicines will work? I don't understand any of this, I can't even say the medicines.

I'm so worried about my baby boy.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Our lab got something like this after a field trial. We figure he ate duck poop... they gave him two out of 3 of those medicines and he did fine.. Just make sure he drinks lots of water and if the diarrea continues ask about an electrolyte supplement( we added ours to his water) and we started him back on solid foods w/ ground turkey and rice.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
We were given:
Sucralfate 1 gm  -  1/2 tablet in slurry 3 x day

He may have diarrhea again tonight and if I see any thing, I am to bring it to them in the morning.

Have any of you had dealings diarrhea like this . You think the medicines will work?  I don't understand any of this, I can't even say the medicines.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57367
[/B][/QUOTE]
sucralfate is to coat the stomach used for gastric ulcers (not sure why they gave this)
Metronidazole is an antibiotic...helps with bacteria overgrowth in the intestines, also takes care of some bugs like giardia that cause diarrhea.
i/d is a bland food (like chicken soup for humans when we r sick) easy to digest.

this should take care of the diarrhea. does he have any vomiting or blood in his stool? just trying to figure out why sucralfate was given.

hope your baby gets better soon! if u have any questions feel free to PM me

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Poor baby!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this should take care of the diarrhea. does he have any vomiting or blood in his stool? just trying to figure out why sucralfate was given.

No blood in the stool, but he was gagging really bad for a while. We don't know if he had been vomiting during the day or not.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm so sorry that Puddles is under the weather. Hope things will improve very quickly!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Hope Puddles is on the road to recovery!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
ah poor little Puddles...
the meds should help and I would be sure to see that puddles drinks plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
will hope that Puddles recovers quickly!
missysmom

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Apr 27 2005, 07:44 PM

No blood in the stool, but he was gagging really bad for a while. We don't know if he had been vomiting during the day or not.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57405
[/QUOTE]
o ok thats prob why they put him on the sucralfate then. hope he has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Apr 27 2005, 06:36 PM
Sorry to be graphic, don't know any other way to explain this.
Today hubby called me at work, when he got home, Puddles had diarrhea all in the kitchen and he was laying around. Several places had jell in them and it was real yellow and runny.  I got so upset and told him to bring him to my work. I called the vet and they wanted to see him then. Well hubby brought me my dog and no samples...go figure. Bless his heart, he tried to clean him up, but his hinny was yellow.

The vet did a fecal smear and couldn't get much of any thing. We tried twice going really deep, making puddles yell and nothing more. She listen to his stomach and said it was really talking to her and was very upset.

I wonder if he has worms and asked that. She didn't think so. Said he may have eaten something that has parasites in it (Puddles will eat any thing in the yard he's not suppose to).  I do live in the country and some of our land is farmed out. Last week they spreaded chicken poop over the land. I wonder if Puddles may have eaten some of that. The vet said its live with parasites...yuck ! And that would make him really sick and could even kill him.

We were given:
Sucralfate 1 gm  -  1/2 tablet in slurry 3 x day

Have any of you had dealings diarrhea like this . You think the medicines will work?  I don't understand any of this, I can't even say the medicines.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57367
[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry your baby is sick

Abby had the same thing not more than 2 weeks ago! She also ended up on antibiotics for it and came up much better within 2-3 days.

I put her in her play pen with sheets laying down etc, so that it was "ok" if she had an accident. I could tell she felt awful, the poor little thing. She was vomiting too. One way to tell is if they are licking their face a lot, or drooling. That usually means they are quite nauseous.

The vet told me to make sure she had lots of water and not to feed her for 24 hours (so that her system had time to recover). When I started feeding her again, it was 4 small meals a day, slowly going back to her normal 2 feeds a day over the coming days. I could feed her chicken, plain natural yoghurt, plain rice and... I can't remember the other thing... I just gave her chicken and yoghurt mixed together... She came out ok...

If I can help any more, please feel free to PM me!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all for caring. Puddles is acting much better tonight. He has only peepee. When I starting to scrubbing the kitchen area, I found a few places and scooped it in a jar. I'm going to take it by the vet in the morning. Hope were on the right meds for what ever we got.

I was thinking tonight, I work in a family practice medical office (business area) and the charge for our visit to the vet was not bad, the exam, test, 2 meds and 4 large cans of food $87.00. Heck, we would have charged $100 just for a 15 min visit. Then again, hubby laughed at me. If my visit today would have been a $1,000 it would have been fine to if Puddles were taken care of....hehehe He knows me pretty well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts