Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ole puggie having a rough time this weekend . hedoesnt like thunder storms and now we have fire crackers going off . i had to go to bed last night so he could hide this morning every thing going great untill some one had to light a string .
any one have any ideas on what to do
irv

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We are having the same problem with Scooby. He is afraid of thunderstorms and terrified of the fireworks. He gets in such a state and nothing will pacify him so we consulted with our vet and she gave us a mild tranquilizer for him. I am not fond of these meds but I did find it far better for him to be asleep and oblivious to the noise than to be wrapped around our necks trembling uncontrollably and panting with his little heart beating so hard and rapid that I feel it will burst out of his chest. At least with half a tranquilizer he just laid down and went off to sleep without a care in the world, and he was so calm and relaxed, I think I should take one myself when we get these horrible storms throughout the spring and summer.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I've heard that putting them on a bed can help. Maybe the mattress, etc. helps absorb the noise. Also, I've heard to cover them with a blanket. The bed used to work for me with my first Malt, Rosebud. She was afraid of thunder and that really helped.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Try sticking cotton in his ears to muffle the noise. Then turn on some soothing music at a loud volume. Finally, do something that distracts him. This is what I did with Sir N. He is terrified of thunder, fireworks, cars backfiring, military helicopters flying overhead, and gunshots.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
The two malts don't seem bothered by thunder and such, but Jolie the bichon is TERRIFIED. Her fear has intensified with age. I try to take her into the room with the least number of windows. If she doesn't see the flashes of lightening it seems to be better for her.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We have tried all the tricks in the book to no avail with Scooby, the first sound of a firework or thunder and he is in a real state no matter what we try to do. I have only resorted to the meds as an absolute last resort and the vet agreed with me that is is more harmful for Scooby to be so terrified than to be peacefully sleeping through the entire noise. If he were just afraid and not reacting the way he does I would never use meds as I am against them myself. I think it all started last 4th July when he was outside during the day and someone let off the loudest firework you could imagine and from then on he has been like this every time he hears them, it took me days to even get him to go outside after that without him crouching down and afraid to be in his own yard. I hate the fireworks, but I know it is a tradition for the celebrations so I just have to do the best I can for Scooby to get him through the weekend.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Aww, I'm sorry this is going to be a tough weekend
One of my dogs hates thunderstorms and he hides in the walk in closet. There is only two small windows in there so the light flashes aren't that bad. We also leave on the tv during storms, and we will be leaving the tv on all weekend because of all the fireworks. What helped me was to bring out his favorite treat. He loves peanut butter and I stuffed some into his busy buddy toy and he was working so hard to get the pb out that he didn't realize there was a storm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts