Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering... I see all these news stories about how the water in the city of New Orleans is now very toxic... arent they pumping that water back out into the same body of water it came from? Wont that pollute the non-toxic water?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Gee I never even thought of this... this sistuation is so bad. I was watching Oprah yesterday . It seems the stars are providing more help to the people then there own president. I't's so sad. These people have nothing no land no home not food only each other if they are even that lucky. It's heart breaking. My hat goes of to Matthew Mconaughey for rescuing the Dr/vet traped tryng to take care of all those poor animals.
I'm glad that everyone is trying to help these people in there time of need.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
You can't believe everything you hear on the news. They say one thing and the next week they will contradict it. I am waiting to see what happens after they get all the water out of NewOrleans. I think that everone is down on our president for one thing or another, maybe we shouldn't judge things until we see what happens in the end. Try praying for him and not cut him down. We will all be accountable for how we handle this .

·
Registered
751 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Sep 8 2005, 01:08 PM
You can't believe everything you hear on the news. They say one thing and the next week they will contradict it. I am waiting to see what happens after they get all the water out of NewOrleans. I think that everone is down on our president for one thing or another, maybe we shouldn't judge things until we see what happens in the end. Try praying for him and not cut him down. We will all be accountable for how we handle this .
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97815
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you.

There was a large article in the D.C. newspaper as well as on t.v. saying it was a matter of chain of command. The president called the Governor and told the Governor something needed to be done. I know the president needed to take action but if you recall they had to MEET before doing anything. That is government for you.

The problem with both parties is both are so busy trying to place blame instead of working together.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Sep 8 2005, 12:08 PM
[/QUOTE]
Amen to that! It is an overwelming situation. We just need to pray for all the victims and all the rescue folks, and as always, keep our leaders held up in prayer. He has had some horrifing situations in his 2 terms, and one man's solutions are never going to satisfy millions. We need to remember he doesn't act alone in all matters. It is great that Hollywood stars are coming forward to help, I applaud them, but it is nothing compared to the "little" people and the tremendous efforts they are doing with their actions, donations and prayer. Those are the ones I want to see on TV! God Bless them all!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
My husband is a retired Fire Chief from the City of Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Dept. and also retired Exec. Dir. of the State of Florida Fire Marshals Office. The entire state of FL has an evacuation and rescue plan in place for such emergencies. I think the problem we are seeing in LA is that not only did the city not have a plan but neither did the state.
The mayor of New Orleans is responsible for a lot of that heartache but is trying to pass the buck to the Pres.

It really burns my hide when I see the photos of acres of school buses sitting there flooded and they were not used to evacuate the poor and helpless. On the news tonight I saw where they had found 30 something old folks in a nursing home who had drowned.
Why did the city not use their means (ie buses) to evacuate these people? Somebody is not doing their job. Their mayor is number one on that list.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I might get blasted for this but it is just my opinion. Everyone is to blame from the top to the bottom. Every administration for the last 40 or so years is to blame. We as Americans are to blame. One thing I can't get out of my mind is it only took hours to come to the aid on 9/11, but took days to respond to Katrina which was forecasted, 9/11 wasn't forecasted. I know we are talking apples and oranges here but I feel that it had to do with the level of importance....New York City, financial center of America.......Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, some of the most impoverished states in America.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Sep 8 2005, 08:21 PM
Somebody is not doing their job. Their mayor is number one on that list.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97954
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by mimi2@Sep 8 2005, 09:03 PM
Everyone is to blame from the top to the bottom. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97957
[/QUOTE]

I agree completely!
Funny how it took several days before the governor of Louisiana was even MENTIONED!?

Although I feel for all the responsible parties...when the mayor issued a mandatory evacuation...he KNEW the situations of the people in and around his city. He should have known they couldn't have gotten out on their own. He should have busted his fanny to arrange the transit for them out of there. Someone on the news (in rebutttal to this) said that very few cities in America would be prepared to transport that many people out like that.
So....?! Figure it out! That is why the leaders get paid the big bucks! Maybe New Orleans couldn't get them out...but with several cities and people working together...it is hard to believe that a solution could not have been come up with!

I worry about the wildlife when the water is pumped out myself. If it is pumped into the lake...that eventually empties into the ocean...right?
Nobody tell me if/when dolphins start showing up on the shore. -_-
Hopefully the dilution of the water as it empties into the larger bodies will indeed be true. I hope....but who really knows? I don't even know that there is another option except filtering it, which seems like an insurmountable task.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by mimi2@Sep 8 2005, 10:03 PM
I might get blasted for this but it is just my opinion.  Everyone is to blame from the top to the bottom.  Every administration for the last 40 or so years is to blame.  We as Americans are to blame.  One thing I can't get out of my mind is it only took hours to come to the aid on 9/11, but took days to respond to Katrina which was forecasted, 9/11 wasn't forecasted.  I know we are talking apples and oranges here but I feel that it had to do with the level of importance....New York City, financial center of America.......Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, some of the most impoverished states in America.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97957
[/QUOTE]

I have to agree.

In addition, they did also show the little people on oprah doing what they could. Some people drove there to help at at the shelters bring food and enterain the children to keep there minds of off ther loss.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by MALITDA@Sep 8 2005, 12:08 PM
[/QUOTE]

I agree up to a point, but it still doesn't sit too well with me that even though we all knew what was coming, the President was on vacation until days afterwards. I have no doubt that he is now scrambling to catch up, but how he could justify being on his holidays while Katrina was bearing down on the area is really beyond me.

The water situation is extremely serious, and I imagine that the effects will be long lasting and severe. Long term, emptying the contaminated water back into the open water system will cause the region even more hardship, but I am not sure how else it could be done. I guess they could have pumped the water into large tanker ships and treated it and let it out far at sea, but not being an engineer I am not sure how that could have worked either.

They say that every cloud has a silver lining, but try as I might I am not seeing any upsides to Katrina so far.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm from Jackson and unlike the rest of the country all of our tv and radio has been nothing but the hurricane up until this past Saturday. Our governor gave updates daily starting on Monday when it hit. The President told our governor on Tuesday that he was ready to come visit the damaged areas and our governor said no. He told him to wait until we had some things cleaned up. Finally, Thursday came and the President announced that he would be coming to Mississippi univited. He was here on Friday and our news crews taped every second he was here. We saw him holding and kissing victims who had been caught in the storm. Kissing people we know haven't been able to bathe in almost a week. Unfortunately this isn't seen by the rest of America, they seem to only want to focus on what he's not doing. I hope I didn't step on any toes, but I thought I'd give an inside perspective.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Originally posted by tiffany@Sep 9 2005, 11:24 AM
I'm from Jackson and unlike the rest of the country all of our tv and radio has been nothing but the hurricane up until this past Saturday. Our governor gave updates daily starting on Monday when it hit. The President told our governor on Tuesday that he was ready to come visit the damaged areas and our governor said no. He told him to wait until we had some things cleaned up. Finally, Thursday came and the President announced that he would be coming to Mississippi univited. He was here on Friday and our news crews taped every second he was here. We saw him holding and kissing victims who had been caught in the storm. Kissing people we know haven't been able to bathe in almost a week. Unfortunately this isn't seen by the rest of America, they seem to only want to focus on what he's not doing. I hope I didn't step on any toes, but I thought I'd give an inside perspective.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98079
[/QUOTE]

I've seen it on the news too. It still doesn't make up for the fact that help was late in getting there. JMHO

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by tiffany@Sep 9 2005, 12:24 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98079
[/QUOTE]

So the President of the United States asked the governor of Jackson permission to come and help and the governer said no, so he waited? Hmm.

Maybe this is true and the President is misunderstood, but that isn't really how it comes across to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts