Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are so many things that my dogs still does that is wrong. Like earlier, he was right next to me and he lifted his leg up and peed at this shopping bag. So, when you catch your dog doing something wrong, what is your form of punishment and if you confine them, for how long? And where do you confine them?

Do any of you guys spank your dog?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We also do the "tap" on the nose to get attention when he is biting...it seems to catch his attention when he is overly excited etc. Sometimes I also do the "two-finger tap" on his backside (It is more like just TOUCHING or PUSHING on him)when he is going to the family shoe basket for the TENTH time in a row!!!!!! LOL...not really the tenth...but sometimes...he just is STUBBORN!!!!!! Usually, the only time he gets the "two-finger-tap" is over the shoes or cat food. Usually the loud clap and sternly saying his name works...he also gets time out occasionally. This is usually when he is SO excited to see the kids that he is jumping up which scratches-and nipping them all over and Emily gets freaked out-(he has NOT learned "settle!"). He also gets time out when he has accidents that are not my fault.

I think our little babies are small for spankings...I also read or heard...can't remember where....that too much of it...and they start to associate your hands with the spankings, and eventually will cower when you start to love them with those hands. Brinkley's "taps" are hardly enough to make that impression on him...LOL... my husband actually laughs when I do it and call it a "spankin"-he rolls his eyes
and says-"gees...that is effective!" He he. He calls it a love tap, I call it an attention getter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also tap my babies noses when they are being bad and won't listen to me. They don't seem to mind it, but it does get their attention! When Delilah pees or starts to poop in the house, if I catch her before she is done I pick her up and say "No No!" Then I take her outside to finish - it seems to be working.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tap them on the nose??!?! Never thought of that. Exactly how do you tap them? I also heard to hit them with like a rolled up newspaper...but NOT a thick one. Just to get their attention, and the loud, thumb sound of the newspaper scares them.

It's frustrating right now because just when you think he knows where to potty, he up and goes raising his leg and marking his territory. WHAT IS THAT? Do I have to start ALL over with the potty training? Do I have to keep a really close eye on him now? If he wasn't soo incredibly cute, I'd ring his neck by now! JK He was RIGHT next to me on the floor and there's was a white shopping bag. He just walked right next to me and aim fire at the bag! I was soooo shocked, I couldnt even scold him until he finished. ARGGGGH

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tapped my child's noise last night because he did something wrong. It just felt weird to me. He probably didn't even think I was punishing him. We were both
. Oh well

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy has had trouble learning the word "No" so when he's really misbehaving I'll tap his rump (not spank, but give him a light tap) and that usually distracts him long enough for me to stop whatever it is he's doing. I've tapped his nose before but that had zero effect.. kinda like the word No

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
well, now when i say "hey" really loud and mean---sprite cowers....i fell soooo bad. anyway, i would give a correction if your dog marks things. like when we're out and we dont want gruffi to pee, we just tell him no and to wait a little bit. definitely stop him from marking though. a friend has a dog that pees on EVERYTHING, and i mean EVERYTHING. on new rugs, sofas, drapes, everywhere at the vets office---anyway, i'd give a really hard correction that'd make the dog cry. like seriously---it works. i'm talking about a martingale collar...i wouldnt use a choke collar. good luck!!! and also...the nose is really really sensitive, this one trainer used to get a piece of plastic and whack the dogs nose a correction(i read a book). all of you should try a martingale collar...it really works well.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He marked on the baby wipe thingy today. I WOULD have scolded him, but I think him being nuetered today is enough punishment.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Punishment, the dreaded word, it is a good thing I have no human children because I truly live up to the definition of spoiling my malts and I would have ruined human children
. However, I have learned it is important to let them know who is in control (or at least who thinks they are in control
) one thing I do is snap my fingers and say no very loudly, it works 95% of the time. The snapping of the fingers gets their attention and then they hear the no very clearly as they are not distracted with what they were doing. Works for me

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know what's up w/my pups. I don't know what I'm doing is working or not. I tried everything. I even spanked them a couple of times out of frustration but that was a while ago and I end up feeling guilty when I shouldn't.

So here's what I do. I put there face real close to there potty accidents and say "NO" over and over and I make them look at me in the face to let them know I'm angry. SOMETIMES, I hit their bumbum but only for the shock effect. And then I tell them to go to their crates. But here's what my girl did earlier today. She sneaks off in the kitchen downstairs to do her thing! I had a pottypad upstairs! It's so random. It's like they know not to do it, that's why they do it behind my back! Imma kill her! ERRRRRGH

J

·
0 Posts
Lacey is 7 months old now. She is such a good little girl, never really had any behavior problems with her. The first day home she knew I was the boss. I tried everything I could to make sure she was not out of my site. This way she couldn't pee or poop were she wasn't suppose too. This doesn't mean she didn't have an accident or two. When I can't keep an eye on her she goes into her exercise pen. I figure this way she can't do something, get into something or go somewhere I don't want her to. It has worked for us. Everytime she does something good she gets a "good girl" and sometimes a cheerio. I am a big believer in postive reinforcement.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I know this isnt funny because its coming back to bite me in the @SS being so easy with Maxi.........Maxi actually yells back at me when we are having a fight about something he did if i say no he gives me this major loud screaming bark back and we go back and forth and what happens is i struggle with being serious because i see his cute face showing me he is angry that i am yelling at him
one day i will video this because iknow people think im nuts when i tell them this but its true Maxi has an opinion about things and he lets me know what it is

·
Registered
323 Posts
Originally posted by Maxismom@Sep 29 2004, 02:22 PM
I know this isnt funny because its coming back to bite me in the @SS being so easy with Maxi.........Maxi actually yells back at me when we are having a fight about something he did if i say no he gives me this major loud screaming bark back and we go back and forth and what happens is i struggle with being serious because i see his cute face showing me he is angry that i am yelling at him
one day i will video this because iknow people think im nuts when i tell them this but its true Maxi has an opinion about things and he lets me know what it is

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10311
[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean, Josie (my little alpha female) tips her head back and actually howls-we laugh that she thinks she is a hound dog when she wants me to know what she thinks about something. It is the funniest thing ever. She is all attitude while doing it too she is a sassy little girl
but that is what I love about her. She is also the first to cuddle and love forever.

buttercloud when you say no when they potty in the wrong spot do you take them to the spot you want them to potty. Ours learned early on to go outside so whenever they would have an accident I would tell them "no bad" and take them outside and when they went potty there like they were supposed to I would tell them "good potty" and of course treats treats treats, they love treats...I feel very lucky that our babies were so easy to train...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just need to watch them when they're out of their crate. It pisses me off when there's a clean pad and they pee next to it
<_< . Do any of you guys let your babies run free? At what age?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We let Brinkley run free for about ummm...2 days... :ph34r:
Then he started having accidents again.

So, he is back to the kitchen during the day...the hall is gated so he can be in the kitchen/den/living room when we are home...and at night he can be in our bedroom and the hall. This is ok so far.

I am like Buttercloud...sometimes when he has "oops"-I just don't get it...there will be a clean pad...and I KNOW he knows better...so why poo in the floor????? I just wish I could get in his little furry head!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment. I let Lexi roam when I'm home, but if I leave she goes in her crate. She is starting to get really good at telling me when she has to go out. Sometimes I think she is just barking and ignore her. Oops! My fault! I can't wait for the day when I can just leave her out all day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts