Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno what it is lately, but it seems all I see people getting is maltese crosses... And It's driving me nuts. Lesse, I've seen poodle malt mixes, cavalier malt mixes, shi zhu mixes, pom mixes.. it goes on and on. What's weird is some of them are the most ugly dogs I've seen in my life... But I have a cross you say, I have a malt pom mix. I did NOT go and pay well over 700 dollars for him.. I did NOT seek him out... and I did NOT get him at a pet store... or because it was a designer dog. I got Boom because he needed a home or he was going to a shelter. I love him dearly, but never would have gotten him otherwise.

I have learned a lot from this forum, a lot about responsible breeding to better the breed. It drives me nuts to see all these puppies that are crosses. They're different colors. They're waaay outta standard for either dog. And how many decent breeders cross breed? So many of these come from pet stores and I worry about them. Fine you think your mix is cute, why not get one from a shelter... why produce dogs that aren't bettering anything?

I'm sure I've ruffled some feathers with this post and that wasn't my intention, however its just been irriatating. Seriously, don't be pissed at me for this, I think all dogs deserve to have a home, but why bring more crosses into the world.

BTW: my next pup will be a pure malt

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I feel your pain.....and I totally agree with you and you don't need to, nor should you apologize. I am as egalitarian as the next person but much of the pleasure of having a pet is their looks and if they all look like nothing identifiable, what's the point?

It's like brown eggs. Brown eggs are no different nutritionally from white eggs but I buy them to keep the variety in the marketplace. Maybe that doesn't really make sense in this context but it does to me.

I don't think rescuing a maltipom or pomimalt disqualifies your opinion, either. That's an entirely different deal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a rant too. I went to a new pet store the other day that opened by my mom's....I never would have gone in there if I had known they carried puppies. I wish I hadn't gone in there because what I saw was TERRIBLE.

They had puppies in cages, most of them were poodle mixes. The fur was matted on a lot of the pups and some of them had feces matted into their fur. The store's great way of "advertising" was to let about 5 or 6 pups run wild in the store...I would estimate there were about 10 little kids aged 5 to 10 years running after the puppies, picking them up, pulling toys and treats out of bins....I was so horrified that something was going to happen that I decided to go over to the fish side of the store and find my sister to leave. There was a couple there looking at a bichon-poodle mix. The sales kid (18 yrs old) was telling this couple that the tiny puppy they held was one of the best dogs they could get. The woman proceeded to tell the sales kid about how she didn't like the look of a bichon and she didn't like poodles at all because they were "yappy"...but when you mix the two you get a wonderful dog. And he's going on and on about how awful bichons are and how awful poodles are but how terrific a pet the bichon/poodle puppy was going to be for them...and these people were buying every word he's saying. I had to leave at that point because I was about to get sick. I felt like vomiting because I was so afraid that poor puppy was going to end up in a shelter. I wanted to shake the couple and say HELLO, YOU DON'T LIKE EITHER POODLES OR BICHONS SO WHY ARE YOU GOING TO BUY A PUPPY THAT IS A MIX OF TWO BREEDS THAT YOU DON'T LIKE????? ARE YOU STUPID?????? It was so upsetting to me that I had to leave, I am ashamed that I was such a coward to not say anything.

As far as the malt mixes....sadly, my aunt ran out over xmas and bought my cousin a malti-poo. She never said anything to us that she was looking for a puppy, she ran out to the pet store and bought him, and is now trying to decide if she wants to neuter him or buy herself a female and have a litter of malti-poo/god knows what puppies. I have a co-worker who really, really wanted a maltese from her boyfriend for xmas and I was helping her locate a puppy. He went out instead and got her a yorkie-poo from the local pet store and she is planning on studding her dog out next year so she can get a free puppy. I just don't get it. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

Ok...rant over. This has been brewing in me for days, thanks to boom boom's mom for letting me get this out of my system. Sorry if I offended anyone.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It's really hard for people to see the big picture. I think it's hard for people to think like that too because we dont do that with humans, you know? It's a new way of thinking. I didn't even know about all of this until after I got BC & N and after I joined SM.

That bichon/poodle story---that's so stupid. LOL I would have given both the customer and worker a dirty-"you're so
" look.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I really don't think some people realize that you shouldn't mix breeds....they need to be educated like we are here.-I still think those puppies are cute...its not there fault!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i dont know why someone would mix a cavalier w/ a malt...they are beautiful dogs, but they have a early death sentence due to heart failure. most get heartfailure by age 5. unless they are trying to improve the genetics..but they look nothing alike. i dunno...doesnt make sense why they charge so much when u cant go to a shelter and find them.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Feb 4 2005, 09:07 PM
A few of the recent puppy things that have me annoyed...

maltipoo

cavalier maltese cross

malt peke mix

Ugh.. I dunno how some people would think these are adorable....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33531
[/QUOTE]

ARe you saying those pups in the links aren't cute? I think they are absolutely precious!
They have some malt qualities.

Anyway, I understand what you are saying...I don't know that I have such a problem mixing two pure-breeds...as I have a problem with people charging the same for them as a purebred. Does that make sense? I have seen some very loving and cute dogs in my time that were not pure-bred. Many of them make as good a pet as any other dog...sometimes better. They shouldn't cost two arms and a leg though. JMO

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seriously think that the maltipoo looks like its dirty...

I dont understand the mix of the Cavalier and the malt... its cute but whats it gonna look like when its grown?

and I hate the Peke face in the third one.

Just my humble opinion. I'm sure there are people out there that dont like how my baby looks

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I want to say right off that I am a supporter of purebred dogs that are AKC breeds. Having said that, I have read some articles that claim that crossbreeding tends to breed out the bad characteristics, such as health problems. Here is an article that you might want to read. I am not interested in such dogs, and wouldn't pay a high price, but evidently there is a market and careful breeding can go a long way to creating a nice dog.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...signerdogs.html

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ok i thought the malt peke mix was a little scary looking lol and i have had a peke before anyways i did look into getting a maltepoo before a got sunny but the more i looked into the the more i thought it was a bad idea in general i am kinda leary of mixed breeds(ok i know that seems kinda mean becuase there are tons of mixes in shelters the a really sweet and need homes) i really dont have any plan on every getting one again...i know i have mentioned a zillion times my corgi cocker spaniel mix i used to have until he went well crazy, vet actully told me a few times it may have been becuase he was a mix of 2 pure breed dogs and he seemed ot have picked up the bad temperment trats of both (my poor baby
) anyways i dont know if i have told this story about him but here is the deal about how i ended up with loki (of course this is what i name the dog who ends up goign crazy that way i have my nice sweet sunny boy now lol)....

Apparently in some 'breeder' was trying to create a new breed of dog by mixing cocker and corgi, from the sounds of it i think he had a few litters not just loki's and when the breeder took the puppies to the vet to get there shots they all have been horribly burnt my bleach in their kennles (loki never could stand going into his kennle) the breeder had been washing the kennles with bleach but not rinsing them, loki had a scar on him foot and ear it wasnt very bad when he was full grown but he was a tiny puppy the a burn that size was a good portion of his body then....well some girl adopted loki (then called fernando lol) after the vets office took the puppies away from the breeder becuase of the abuse. Well the girl who adopted him obviously didnt put much thought into it becuase a couple weeks later she dumped him with her parents who put the ad in the paper i found, when i got him he was only 10 or 12 weeks old i think so yeah he did at lot of travling for a little baby, the people i got him from sold him to me for the price of what they had spent on shots and meds for the burns....i adored loki really he was an awsome dog he was the size of a 150lbs dog but he got the corgi legs so he was super short only about 50lbs i think........so yeah i blame the idiot breeder thinking it was a good idea to mix breeds which is why i have a proublem with all of these mixes out there

Oh and about the mixing everything with a poodle from what people have tried to convince me is that every other breed of dog on earth is to stupid to train but you mix it with a poodle and it becomes a genius
yep had to hear all about from someone (i dont even remember who) how dumb my pure maltese would be and i was setting myself up for disaster, sunny is the smartest dog i have ever had btw....now my old pure peke he could have used a bit of that poodle genius in him lol but he is a whole nother story lol

this might be one of the longest posts i have written lol i am to tired to proof read it right now but i will tommorrow hopfully its readable like this, i type fast and look at what i wrote later

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
OK,I know this thread wasent started to upset anyone...BUT it has me.

My Bailey is a Maltese/Bichon,We chose him because we couldnt decide between the two breeds. They both have alot of great quailities, And he is one of the joys of my life.He came from a very reputable breeder in our area..not a backyard breeder who is just trying to make money.After getting him we decided to get Kirbie who is a Maltese,because we liked the Maltese traits better.I in NO way regret getting Bailey.And i do not feel that I have done anything WRONG by buying a mixed breed.
Tlunn,i argree with you in the fact that I have no problem with mixed breeds,but as to the prices some people charge for them.
This world IS made up of alot of mixed races and I for one have NO problem with that either.
WE have had many purebreeds in different stages of our lives ,and we have also rescued mixed breeds from the local shelters. We have loved and they have all had a special place in our hearts.
I guess what im trying to say here, is that there has been alot of crossbreeding in alot of different animals ,and they do this to get the best of both breeds.If a breeder is a reputable one and not just one trying to make money ,I have no problem with this. JMO

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Sheila, just wondering, but have you avoided some of the health problems that are inherent with both bichons and maltese? If so then your experience kind of goes along with the article that I posted. I have a bichon and the maltese and I don't find that many differences in the two breeds except for the obvious size and coat differences.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Feb 4 2005, 11:24 PM
Ok i thought the malt peke mix was a little scary looking lol and i have had a peke before anyways i did look into getting a maltepoo before a got sunny but the more i looked into the the more i thought it was a bad idea in general i am kinda leary of mixed breeds(ok i know that seems kinda mean becuase there are tons of mixes in shelters the a really sweet and need homes) i really dont have any plan on every getting one again...i know i have mentioned a zillion times my corgi cocker spaniel mix i used to have until he went well crazy, vet actully told me a few times it may have been becuase he was a mix of 2 pure breed dogs and he seemed ot have picked up the bad temperment trats of both (my poor baby 
  ) anyways i dont know if i have told this story about him but here is the deal about how i ended up with loki (of course this is what i name the dog who ends up goign crazy that way i have my nice sweet sunny boy now lol)....

Apparently in some 'breeder' was trying to create a new breed of dog by mixing cocker and corgi, from the sounds of it i think he had a few litters not just loki's and when the breeder took the puppies to the vet to get there shots they all have been horribly burnt my bleach in their kennles (loki never could stand going into his kennle) the breeder had been washing the kennles with bleach but not rinsing them, loki had a scar on him foot and ear it wasnt very bad when he was full grown but he was a tiny puppy the a burn that size was a good portion of his body then....well some girl adopted loki (then called fernando lol) after the vets office took the puppies away from the breeder becuase of the abuse.  Well the girl who adopted him obviously didnt put much thought into it becuase a couple weeks later she dumped him with her parents who put the ad in the paper i found, when i got him he was only 10 or 12 weeks old i think so yeah he did at lot of travling for a little baby, the people i got him from sold him to me for the price of what they had spent on shots and meds for the burns....i adored loki really he was an awsome dog he was the size of a 150lbs dog but he got the corgi legs so he was super short only about 50lbs i think........so yeah i blame the idiot breeder thinking it was a good idea to mix breeds which is why i have a proublem with all of these mixes out there

Oh and about the mixing everything with a poodle from what people have tried to convince me is that every other breed of dog on earth is to stupid to train but you mix it with a poodle and it becomes a genius 
  yep had to hear all about from someone (i dont even remember who) how dumb my pure maltese would be and i was setting myself up for disaster, sunny is the smartest dog i have ever had btw....now my old pure peke he could have used a bit of that poodle genius in him lol but he is a whole nother story lol

this might be one of the longest posts i have written lol i am to tired to proof read it right now but i will tommorrow hopfully its readable like this, i type fast and look at what i wrote later
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33548
[/QUOTE]

I loved your post..... some of your statements gave me a chuckle (the ones that were meant to be funny!)

·
Registered
660 Posts
The allure of designer breeds and mutts is that they are usually one of a kind. Some people like to be original or to rescue dogs. The breeders have always know this because when I was young, the cocapoo was very popular. Today it seems to be the maltipoo. I ran into a woman at the vet who was clutching her pup, she had bought him a few months earlier and waited for just the right one from the breeder, I wonder what happened to the other ones, were they just the right ones for other families or not? I have rescued dogs from the pound since our poodle Fluffy died. Mom picked Fluffy because he had maliclusion and was not the show quality of his parents. We always loved the fact that Fluffy looked like he was smiling at us. :D After that we adopted from the local shelter. When my lab shepherd mix died earlier this year, after 16 wonderful yrs., I hurt for weeks from taking him out to the bathroom. My back was actually herniated and my shoulder from the weight of the dog. My husband said he did not want me getting another large breed. I went to Petco to get some special treats for Snowflake my samoyed mix because she was so sad when Cadbury died. I was very sad too. That is when I saw a Maltese on the cover of a book and I fell in love. I bought the book and read it to find out more about these cute little dust bunnies as I realized that he was the dog for me. Our shelter had large pit bulls and shepherd mixes, not one small dog. On my birthday my husband surprised me with Flurry. I was sad because I missed Cadbury but very happy to have a pup after 15 yrs.His excitement about life and his tiny being just tickles my heart with joy. He has eased my pain. (I had also looked at Bolonkas, they are cute dogs recognized in Europe but not here and a whopping $2,500 and up to buy! )A pedigree is an intelligent decision because you know prior to purchase what personality traits to expect, You have a good idea what the dog will look like. However to rescue a dog is something people feel good about. I believe Flurry is the first dog I selected for me. When I rescued dogs I looked for the one who needed me more. The trouble with cross breeding is they are a deliberate act of the breeder, if it is for health reasons it is good for the dog health wise, if the healthy genes prevail, what about home wise, this woman at the vet with her maltipoo was looking for one that looked like one she had seen. the dog was found after a long search. The outcome is unpredictable and the results can be horrendous the dog can end up a pound puppy. It is a terrible situation these breeders have created. I don't have any answers, only an understanding of whats going on and prayers for all the fur babies out there who need help. It is no fault of their own.
I hope I don't sound bias I just think the pound is full of good intentions.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Feb 5 2005, 01:31 AM
Sheila, just wondering, but have you avoided some of the health problems that are inherent with both bichons and maltese?  If so then your experience kind of goes along with the article that I posted.  I have a bichon and the maltese and I don't find that many differences in the two breeds except for the obvious size and coat differences.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33561
[/QUOTE]

Im not sure I unterstand what you mean?
Im fully aware of the health problems in both breeds.What Experence are you talking about? Each breed has their own set of health problems.When you chose a breed you must be well informed about the breed you are interested in. (maybe I just havent had enough coffee yet ...LOL)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Feb 5 2005, 01:14 AM
OK,I know this thread wasent started to upset anyone...BUT it has me.

My Bailey is a Maltese/Bichon,We chose him because we couldnt decide between the two breeds. They both have alot of great quailities,  And he is one of the joys of my life.He came from a very reputable breeder in our area..not a backyard breeder who is just trying to make money.After getting him we decided to get Kirbie who is a Maltese,because we liked the Maltese traits better.I in NO way regret getting Bailey.And i do not feel that I have done anything WRONG by buying a mixed breed.
Tlunn,i argree with you in the fact that I have no problem with mixed breeds,but as to the prices some people charge for them.
This world IS made up of alot of mixed races and I for one have NO problem with that either.
WE have had many purebreeds in different stages of our lives ,and we have also rescued  mixed breeds from the local shelters. We have loved and they have all had a  special place in our hearts.
I guess what im trying to say here, is that there has been alot of crossbreeding in alot of different animals ,and they do this to get the best of both breeds.If a breeder is a reputable one  and not just one trying to make money ,I have no problem with this.  JMO
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33556
[/QUOTE]

I had heard that too...and I also read somewhere that purebreds often have MORE health problems than crosses...not the other way around. I think, like you said, that it all comes down to responsible breeding as well as personal preference.

In my opinion, if the basic consensus is that ONLY purebreds should exist...why should ONLY people who can afford purebred prices have pets?

My cats are "mutts". I had a purebred Siamese as a child...he was an awesome cat...but no more so than my mutt cats! He had MAJOR Siamese personality. Which is ok, but that personality is one of the reasons cat haters hate cats...ha ha...while on the other hand, my sweet mutt cats usually wrap cat haters around their fingers because they are so sweet and loving. They always say...if all cats were like yours...cats would be ok.

Anyway, one of the only reasons that I went with a purebred Maltese is so that I could be assured of the dog not bothering my allergies. Luckily I found a loving breeder that does not charge an arm and two legs, and I purchased Brinkley for probably the cheapest price of anyone on the board. Even as inexpensive as I found him for, if I could have been assured of my allergy resistance to a less expensive mix, I probably would have gotten one. Paying high dollars for a family pet is just not a priority to me, when there are great dogs out there without pedigrees.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.