Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone ,

My name is Sumeet . We are getting a Maltese Male Puppy who is ready to be flown to Calgary on Jan 23rd 2020 . We have named him Jasper .
We are starting to prepare for his arrival .

We have got basic necessity items ( playpen , bed , clothes , food ) for him . Can you please provide your valuable input about other tips we need to be aware of for his arrival.

Thanks a lot ,

Sumeet

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi, congratulations! My best tip is just to love. Puppies are a challenge sometimes, but they are such a precious gift of lifelong friendship, so cherish that friendship. I also suggest setting a schedule very soon. Eat/potty/play/rest etc, so potty training is a bit easier. Remember, little ones can dehydrate or have low sugar very quickly, so really read up and understand about that. Be sure to look at car seats with safety features, this is too often overlooked and the number of pets lost in vehicle accidents is heartbreaking and astounding. Again though, just remember in the midst of all the “details” to enjoy and bond with your new little one. This is an incredibly sensitive and loyal breed. They pick up on the slightest shift in mood and energy.

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
I agree w/Bridget (above)! Also hit the search button above to research special topics of interest---it is all here on SM from experienced maltese gurus! Welcome to SM---we look fwd. to seeing puppy pictures!!!!!! Jasper is the perfect name!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you so much for your valuable feedback. My CKC registered breeder recommends IAMS smart puppy food. I live in Calgary so I would need winter boots for Jasper.
Can you please recommend the perfect size and brand I should buy. .
I am sorry but I might have many questions for you gurus

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
Thanks you so much for your valuable feedback. My CKC registered breeder recommends IAMS smart puppy food. I live in Calgary so I would need winter boots for Jasper.
Can you please recommend the perfect size and brand I should buy. .
I am sorry but I might have many questions for you gurus
Is CKC Canadian Kennel Club or Continental Kennel Club?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Canadian Kennel Club . There are only very few CKC reg breeder on CKC website . I could not get the puppy from nearby in Calgary but was lucky to get a puppy from Far East . So flying him from St. John’s NL

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
Canadian Kennel Club . There are only very few CKC reg breeder on CKC website . I could not get the puppy from nearby in Calgary but was lucky to get a puppy from Far East . So flying him from St. John’s NL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello everyone, Here to get your advise on :

1) My CKC registered breeder giver 2 year warranty against any kind of major disease. Do I need to get a pet insurance from the start or wait for the 2 years ? What company have the best price . It will
Be great if you could tell me the price range of insurance.

2) I have read that tear stains are very common and evident on Maltese . What precautions should I take to prevent this . Is there a shampoo or some natural home made remedy for this.

3) What type of chewing toys are best for Maltese ? Is Nylabone okay ?

4) My breeder recommends Wahl or Hertz Shampoo . Are there any better options that u have tried ?

5) My Breeder has been feeding Iams smart puppy food for 36 years . She said she has also tried more expensive food options but IAMs works perfect. But I have heard some negative comments about Iams. Although there are always some negative comments about other brands as well . What do you guys think what is the best food option if I have to try some other brand?

6) Are the Maltese easygoing when cutting their and how often should we cut the nails .
7) What is the best brush for regular grooming ?

Sorry , the list is long and but I thank you so much for reading and providing your valuable feedback.

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
I'm running late this morning so here's a short answer to a couple of your questions.

1. Get pet insurance the day your puppy comes home. That way you don't have exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
2. Tear stains are common until all baby teeth are gone. Don't worry about it for the first year. Wipe under the eyes with common saline solution a couple of times a day.
3. No nylabone or greenies. They can break off into tiny pieces and cause blockages. Himalayan chews are good options.
4. Others on here will have shampoo recommendations, but I use PurePaws moisturizing. It's much easier on the types of coats our babies have than the brands you're recommending.

5. Iams is awful IMO. They use a lot of corn and grains which can trigger digestive upsets in our small dogs. If you absolutely must try kibble, look at Fromm or Zignature. There's a publication called Whole Dog Journal. It requires a subscription (about $20 a year) but they publish lists of recommended dry, canned, raw and dehydrated dog foods. Look at their lists and also look at dogfoodadvisor.com.

6. For nail cutting, I have my groomer do that when I take them in once a month. (FYI, I shampoo them at home about two weeks after the grooming so they get a bath every two weeks.) If you're going to cut nails at home, start early and only do one paw at a time so it's not overly stressful. Be sure to trim the hair between the pads on their feet too so they don't slip on hard surface floors.

7. I love my Madan brush but others will have their recommendations as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Maggie for your valuable input.

i am not sure why my breeder is recommending IAMS . However i checked on dogfoodadvisor.com and it is in top rated section . Giving 4.5 stars to Iams smart puppy Proactive health. I will take a look at the brands that you have recommended

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Welcome to SM, I'm excited for you, what a blessing is coming your way.
I can't wait to see pictures of your little one

Years ago I made dog shoes, I found fleece booties worked well, they seemed to adjust to them better, not as stiff.
Your going to get a belly laugh when you watch them try and walk in shoes at first, have your camera handy, video it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally Jasper has arrived in our lives . He is so playful , funny and overloaded with cuteness. He is only 8.5 weeks and has a bundles of energy.He wakes us up at 4 am to play. Starts biting my neck very gently and if i wake up , then he is at his full play mode . But when i just ignore , he calmly goes and plays with his toys.
Its only been 2 days and it feels like he has been living with us forever .

He has been excellent in his potty and pee pad training with few minor accidents. I guess breeder was excellent and started training him quite early.

I have attached few pictures of this cute little bugger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
He sure is a cute :Cute Malt:!
I'm so happy for both of you! :tender:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts