Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please note: some of you might think this is a silly question but here goes...

So since my husband and I are not going to have children, our puppy is our baby and she's super spoiled, as every fluff on this board is... Naturally we want to throw our pup a party for her first birthday.

I think I've read that many of you on here have done that so I was wondering, should we only invite friends who also have dogs or should we open the guest list to friends who don't? The reason I ask is that when we got her, my BFF threw me a puppy shower and a lot of my friends groaned about it saying how silly it was to have a shower for a dog. (They are the same friends who would expect me to spend a ton of money on their babies at their showers).

Also, if you did have a party, what sort of things did you do and was it fun for your guests as well?

Thanks in advance ladies..

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Your idea sounds so much fun! I've never done it so I can't offer answers to most of your questions. However, I would like to suggest that you do an "open-invite" to everyone who wants to be there, who loves dogs, regardless of whether they have one themselves or not :)

I also think it's so sweet of your bff to throw you a puppy shower :D

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
As someone who has thrown a puppy shower for a friend and had a birthday party for her own dog, I think it is an AWESOME idea!

For Toby's first b-day, since it was in December and our house is very small, I just invited friends and family and no other dogs/pets. (This may sound awful, but I don't/didn't want other people's dogs in my house--Malts are one thing [ :wub: ] but several friends have 80 lbs+ dogs and I don't want their hair all over my house.)

I didn't really have games or anything like that planned for the b-day party. We just mostly hung out and chatted. I did make a b-day cake that looked like a Maltese, I made cookies in the shape of bones, candy in the shape of bones, etc. and served it all in a doggie bowl (new of course). I have pictures somewhere if you are interested.

For the shower, we did more baby shower like games. If that interests you, let me know and I will try to remember what all we played.

At any rate, have fun and let your friends roll their eyes. Some of mine did/do and I know who my real friends are anyway! :biggrin:

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think puppy parties are a FABULOUS idea! I went to my cousin's Papillon's first birthday party with my Lily (before I had Nadia). It was a blast. Mostly people with their dogs and it was held in the backyard. She had a special cake the doggies got to eat and prizes. My Lily got a goody basket for best trick! Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Sweetness has had two birthday parties with her BFFs Guinness and Bailey and their mommy, along with two other human friends. She had a blast at both. Her 2nd birthday party was a combo birthday and "gotcha day" party since Tessa's gotcha day is only a few weeks after. Go for it!

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Chase had a 1st birthday party!!! Some of his litter mates were there and we had a Maltese Cake.....great fun.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I think who you invite depends on your friends. Do they like dogs? Would they even acknowledge the birthday boy? Would they think you are silly?

A couple times a year (for no particular reason) I hold puppy parties at my house. They consist of friends and their small dogs. We started it to get the dogs socialized, but it ended up being more about the people....:blush:...whoops.....we make a fuss over everyone's dogs, we eat lunch and drink wine.....and chat.....then we take tons of pictures. It's all fun.

We enjoy each others company and have a common interest in our dogs. It usually always works out fine. One time a woman brought a friend of hers because she likes dogs....but none of the dogs were hers...and our dogs got on her nerves. :w00t: :angry: grinch!!

You know your friends, so I guess only you can make the decision on who gets invited to the big party. :thumbsup: Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts